locking gas cap, no key...

Status
Not open for further replies.

crw

Right now I'm down to my 1975 BMW 2002 because the Mazda is being fixed. The BMW has a locking gas cap, for which I have no key. Today at lunch I tried to get the cap off... it's not coming off. It must have slipped back into locked mode. I have been using it for about five years and not had this happen.

There is a metal outer portion which is all I can grip. This part simply slides, rotates freely over the inner portion. I need to get the inner portion to engage so I can remove the cap.

Obviously I don't need a locking cap. I'm trying to decide what to do, to start drilling a small hole somewhere on the face of the cap so that I can slip a small nail inside and hopefully engage the inner portion, or start drilling through the locking mechanism?

Flathead screwdriver in the key hole turning clockwise ,Worked for me a few times .

I agree with the flat head. If you have a hard time get a hammer. The locking gas caps are all junk. Iv never seen one able to keep somone determined out.

Ha ha, this one is BMW, old school German engineering, not the modern plastic stuff! But yes, I will try that.

Sorry, the channel-locks won't work... the cap is recessed and I wouldn't be able to get them on.

I will let you know how it goes.

Hello, I went right down the middle of the locks cylinder with a SHARP 1/2" high speed steel (common fluted bit) drill bitt.

'Twasn't BMW quality but it worked on the cap this car had. Kira

What about a Locksmith those guys can open it in seconds without damage and even make you a new key I have two close friends that are both lockguys and there is nothing i know of that they cant open. i have one that will be staying here because he is getting a divorce i can always ask him. His cousin which is the other locksmith i know stayed here for 4 months while his house was being built and i learned a lot he showed me how to put pins in a lock and how to pick locks (too easy) And other things that is a cool business that you can make a lot of money but you need a license and what i heard its very hard to get.

Originally Posted By: crazyoildude
What about a Locksmith those guys can open it in seconds without damage and even make you a new key I have two close friends that are both lockguys and there is nothing i know of that they cant open. i have one that will be staying here because he is getting a divorce i can always ask him. His cousin which is the other locksmith i know stayed here for 4 months while his house was being built and i learned a lot he showed me how to put pins in a lock and how to pick locks (too easy) And other things that is a cool business that you can make a lot of money but you need a license and what i heard its very hard to get.

Yeah, but they probably want $60 or more to do it when you can just buy a locking gas cap for about $20 and a regular one for about $10. I'd just drill it out somehow and hope nothing falls into the tank.

Yeah, I'm too cheap even to buy a new cap. Anyway, I got it!

I could not get it to budge by using a screwdriver up the lock cylinder. I drilled through the face and deep enough to engage the inner portion. Then I screwed a little screw in.

Originally Posted By: crw
I could not get it to budge by using a screwdriver up the lock cylinder.

It's more than that.

Here's what you do:
1) Obtain a flat-blade screwdriver that fits the key slot, and a set of Vise Grip pliers. It helps if the screwdriver handle has flats on it. Preset the Vise Grip so it will clamp onto the screwdriver handle really tightly.
2) Place the screwdriver against the slot, and use the Vise Grips to hammer the screwdriver deep into the slot. One or two whacks should do it.
3) Clamp the Vise Grip onto the screwdriver handle and turn the lock, hard, in either direction.

The lock will pop in about one second. All older automotive locks are tinfoil garbage.

Sorry to say the old BMW motorbike caps can do the same thing, nice flat balck finish and all. Drilling is the only way.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back