Locked my keys in my truck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: andyd
All my vehicles have a key screwed somewhere under them. Those magnetic key safes dont work. Having a spare key has saved me a lot of hassle.

That's a good idea - the magnetic key safes haven't worked for me either.

I used to drive a '99 dodge stratus and it was really easy to pop the lock on that. All it took was a coathanger and 30 seconds.

I locked my keys in my car once when I went swimming. Left a window cracked an inch so it wouldn't be unbearably hot... but small enough that "noone can break in and take anything". Keys were in pants pocket... in the car. Got a coat hook, hooked a belt loop, lifted the pants with the pockets upside down up high enough I was able to grab, twist, and retrieve my keys.

Was only the friction of denim holding keys in pockets!
crazy2.gif

I can't understand people who don't have a spare key on the car. For the price and trouble of making a spare key and hiding it well on the car, you can save a considerable amount of grief later on - for yourself and those around you.

The only exception are those cars that have incredibly expensive or high tech keys, such as the modern Volvos.

Those of us that don't have a spare on the car, keep it in our wallet. Unfortunately for the OP, he didn't have his wallet in his pocket this time.
I'm not big on a key hidden underneath. Not so much for somebody finding it, but all the road crud that cakes up underneath (road salt, slush, mud, muck, urea that they spray on bridges, oil spraying, etc). I'd need a good scrubbing afterward.

Alex.

When in a bind, you'd be happy to deal with all the dirt, salt, and crud rather than face the alternative.

At least once I've had lay in the slush to retrieve my spare.

Having a wallet stuffed with stuff is a pet peeve of mine.

Originally Posted By: Kestas
When in a bind, you'd be happy to deal with all the dirt, salt, and crud rather than face the alternative.

At least once I've had lay in the slush to retrieve my spare.

Having a wallet stuffed with stuff is a pet peeve of mine.

I agree with the last statement, considering that my wallet consists of a rubber band wrapping my DL, and a few other necassary cards. I have a spare key hidden on the framerail of both of my cars, but make a habit that once the engine is off and key out of the ignition they go in my pocket. The doors wont lock with the key in the ignition. I do look to make sure that my hidden keys are still there every so often, I had one disappear on me once, dont know how but it was gone.

Last edited:
"...but make a habit that once the engine is off and key out of the ignition they go in my pocket."

A couple of the kids are driving now, but all three have been asked for years what they need to do after opening the car; '[groan and sigh], put the keys in my pocket after opening the car...' :^)

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back