Locked my keys in my truck....

Status
Not open for further replies.
Oh, what a morning it has been.

I left home this morning with the intention of grabbing my morning newspaper at the end of the driveway, and then going to a favorite place for a relaxing breakfast. I back down the driveway, look into the mailbox, and there's no newspaper.

So, I go back up the drive, park the truck back in the garage, and go into the house to call the newspaper to request that another paper be delivered.

However, when I got out of my truck, I accidentally hit the button and locked the doors. My garage is attached to my house and I don't lock them in the garage.

So, I have one key in the ignition, and a spare key in my wallet. Problem is, the wallet is laying on top of the center console... inside the locked truck. Why my wallet wasn't in my hip pocket (where it is 99.9% of the time) is a mystery to me.

Now what to do. I have an extended warranty with roadside assistance... but with a $100 deductible. My truck doesn't have OnStar, otherwise a simple phone call would have solved the problem.

So, I called the dealership where I bought it, to see what my options were. I explained the situation to them, and they told met that they could cut a key from code, after seeing my driver's license, state registration card, and proof of insurance for the vehicle. Problem is, all three of those are locked inside the truck, along with my cash and credit cards as well. I don't have a single piece of photo ID that isn't locked inside the truck.

OK. The parts guy realizes that I'm in a bind. He goes and grabs a manager, fills him in, and the manager pulls up my records with the dealership. I do have a good history of business with this dealership. The manager notices that my salesman just happens to be working today, and decides if he verifies my identity, then they would bypass the rules and cut me a key on that alone.

So, I call Dad to give me a ride to the dealership, and tell him to bring some cash or a credit card with him, so he can pay for it as well.

We get to the dealership, and my salesman laughs his butt off over what has happened. He calls the parts guy and tells him, "yeah, that's him, I sold him that truck", and he starts to cut me a key.

The parts guy told me that the only thing that saved me was that I was a customer. Anyone else would have been told "Sorry, I can't help you without the right documentation", and the call would have ended.

15 minutes and $15 later, I'm walking out with a key. I was prepared to pay as much as $50 for it.

Life is good again.

I try to not have both keys on me at once. I have one and usually my dad or mom has the other. Seeing that they are 100 miles away though make that an inconvenience too if I ever need it.

Don't feel too bad about it I think we've all done that at one point. Others should take note it can be a good thing to have a good relationship with your dealer.

I locked myself out at work once. Now I always carry an extra key with me. Believe it or not it has already saved me 3 times! The thing is, I'm so used to remote door locks that when I disabled it and had to manually lock the door before I closed it, I wasn't used to it and kept leaving my key inside. I always tell people they should carry a spare on them.

My wife accidentally locked our daughter in our old Expedition once, while it was parked in our garage. It was embarrassing. She called the po-po, who came and jimmied the door open.

On my 1983 Chevrolet El Camino I always carry a spare key in my pocket.

On my 2004 Mercury Marauder there is a number code thing near the door handle, I keep that number in my pocket.

I keep this stuff in my pocket since if I put it in my wallet, like what you did, I could leave it in the car.

Originally Posted By: soldierman
Others should take note it can be a good thing to have a good relationship with your dealer.

Having a relationship with your dealer can come in handy, as I found out this morning. I'm not suggesting that they have to do every little bit of work on your car, but them being able to remember who I am came in really handy.

The funny thing was, I was driving the truck and stopped in at the dealership earlier this week to say "Hi" to my salesman, and to hear his 2 cents on what he's seeing with the current economic conditions. So, he recognized me right away, since he had just seen me and the truck just a few days ago.

Originally Posted By: Johnny
Now you have three keys. One for the truck and the wallet, now put the new one on a hook inside the house.

I was thinking about the top center drawer of my desk here at the house... a point well taken.

I locked myself out of my car once as I was scraping ice off the windows... with the engine running... in a deserted parking lot. Luckily I was able to use the scraper to bend the door out enough to stick my hand in and unlock it. Ah, the joys of beaters.

Now that I think of it I did that once when I had the Civic. I was getting something out of it and left the keys in the car and locked and closed it. Luckily the house door was unlocked and I didn't have to wait outside the whole day. The Maxima has a remote and I check to see I have the keys on me before I close the trunk because I put everything in the trunk before I unlock the doors.

aaah... the joys... i was moving cross country and the last night int he west I spent at a budget hotel - parking area right next to the rooms some 10 levels high. I opened the passenger door, put a few things in the car, left the key on the seat. because i was moving the spare was in the car too packed away somewhere. closed the passenger door and walked around the back. i was reaching out for the driver's door handle - it locked a second before i touched it! i didn't know the car locked itself after a 10 second delay if only the pax doors are opened and shut (and not the driver's!)

called roadside assist - they break into the car - but set the alarm off before getting inside properly - took them 5 minutes to go off! meanwhile the alarm (which is just the horn going off) is blaring, waking up this whole frigging motel full of people, they were leaning out windows, cursing me.

this all happened at 5:30 AM on a sunday... lets just say i got out of dodge pretty quick.

i never lock my car, i live in NH...that would be a potential nightmare having no keys...i went to NYC and everybody locks there cars and has those things that you tie onto steering wheel

Nice damage control. $15 you didn't need to spend, but a lot better than $50 or $100.

One time in the mid 90s when I was in high school I locked my keys and wallet in my hot rod (Geo) on the bay of a gas station, 30 miles from home. Cops wouldn't help, no AAA so I'm in a bind. Nice customer in the store leaves me about a dollar's worth of change with the clerk, who gives me the money after the lady leaves. Very nice act. I use a quarter at the pay phone to call home. No answer. So I'm really stuck. I stand around the store for awhile trying to figure out what to do. I'm in the automotive isle of the gas station and see a $.65 fly swatter. I get an idea. I bought it and took it out to the car and ended up bending it up under the door seal, over the window and down into the interior to flick the lock open. Cost me about an hour but I was relieved it wasn't more than that. Thanks to that nice woman.

I've tried locking my GTI's doors from inside (while holding keys in my hand). It automatically unlocks the doors. I'm not sure what it would do if the keys were in the ignition.

Originally Posted By: HawkeyeScott
Nice damage control. $15 you didn't need to spend, but a lot better than $50 or $100.

Yep. I look at it as I overpaid by about $12 for that spare key that I ended up with, but I was sure glad to get it (it was cut on a "genuine" Chevy key blank after all... does that make it worth more?).

I'll punish myself by not going out to eat the next time that I want to. That'll make up for it.

Regarding your flyswatter story, isn't it amazing how resourceful that we'll become when the pressure is on and we really NEED to be thinking smart?

Remember the TV show "MacGyver"? ;-)

Originally Posted By: wavinwayne
I've tried locking my GTI's doors from inside (while holding keys in my hand). It automatically unlocks the doors. I'm not sure what it would do if the keys were in the ignition.

That was the other thing that I screwed up.

If the key is all the way into the ignition cylinder, the doors will NOT lock. But to keep the truck from making that warning tone (bing, bing, bing) that is nearly loud enough to wake the dead, I've gotten into the habit of pulling the key out about 1/4" as soon as I shut off the engine, to stop that noise.

On my truck, the warning tone actually comes through the radio speaker in the driver's side door. And it is WAY TOO LOUD! Maybe that could be set a bit softer??? I should ask the dealer.

When I do this, the truck thinks the key is out of the ignition and allows the doors to be locked.

My bad.

All my vehicles have a key screwed somewhere under them. Those magnetic key safes dont work. Having a spare key has saved me a lot of hassle.

Originally Posted By: c3po
On my 2004 Mercury Marauder there is a number code thing near the door handle, I keep that number in my pocket

those are the best inventions ever.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back