Location of the 9 grease zerks on 2011-2021 GM/Chevy HD trucks

wwillson

Staff member
I posted this on the RV forum after the pleasure of greasing my truck. The three zerks on the pitman arm, idler arm, and idler arm pivot are very difficult to grease. Whoever decided to install straight instead of 90° zerks should be forced to grease any of these trucks the owner wants them to.

I had a 2014 GM 3500 and I cursed the engineers everytime I had to grease the front end. I could always find the first 7 or 8 but had to search for the others. On top of all that I had to get a pistol grip gun because I could not get the fittings to stay straight while pumping the lever on some so I went with the hose with one hand holding them and then bust a knuckle trying to get them off.

I managed to stay with the lever gun but went to a flexible hose on my 3/4 ton. Still a bear. Also, on my son’s 1500 we changed out all the ball joints and tie rod ends so now they have zerks as well.

I'm about to tackle this fun little job on my new truck too. It seems GM was very frugal with the amount of grease in the joints on new HD trucks. I can't force either of my 2 grease gun couplers onto the fittings so I'm going shopping for a new one tomorrow and maybe some 90 degree zerks. Anyone know if the fittings are SAE or metric on GM trucks?

Thanks for the heads-up Jefe.

Anyone know if the fittings are SAE or metric on GM trucks?
I would like to know this as well. Even googling I couldn't find a definitive answer. I called the dealer's parts department and had them look at the exploded diagram. The zerks are on the diagram, but it just says, "grease zerk" with no mention of thread pitch or size.

The 05 Express is identical... I think it has 11 just in the front end and 4 on the driveshaft. Those 3 tops are a bear.. got grease all over my face and hair on those. Next time I'll put it up on ramps.

Anybody tried this?

Attachments

• 1560FB5E-C84C-4F81-A500-47BD06E2B612.png
    1560FB5E-C84C-4F81-A500-47BD06E2B612.png
    277.9 KB · Views: 482
Say hello to your new friend. This is the idler arm with the wheels straight ahead. I'll replace the pitman arm fitting in the morning, it's too hot in the garage. Drop the front splash shield and they're easy. The fittings are 1/4x28 BTW.
90zerk.jpg

I could only find assortment packs with 2 straight, 2 -45s and 2 -90s. Just might put a 45 on the side of the idler arm housing since I've got it.

Last edited:
Say hello to your new friend. This is the idler arm with the wheels straight ahead. I'll replace the pitman arm fitting in the morning, it's too hot in the garage. Drop the front splash shield and they're easy. The fittings are 1/4x28 BTW.
Thanks a million - going to do this. It sounds much easier than greasing from behind the tie rods.

I posted my update on the RV site, forgot to post here:

wwilson: Thanks for posting on this including the information on the rvths site. I am dealing with the same issue on my 2021 3500HD. The 3 zerk fittings on the: idler arm pivot; Idler arm to center link; and the pitman arm to center link are a pain to access.

Did you end up installing one of the extension hoses? Looks like Moog and AC Delco both make these. Maybe the same item. I see that Amazon also carries the Moog.

Good to find out the threads are all 1/4 28.

Did you end up installing one of the extension hoses? Looks like Moog and AC Delco both make these. Maybe the same item. I see that Amazon also carries the Moog.
No, I just installed a 90° zerk in the upper idler arm pivot and remove the splash shield to grease it. Removing the shield takes about 30 seconds with a socket on an electric drill.

Back