Local Wal-Mart Now Carrying Synpower 5w20

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have been using motorcraft 5w-20 but recently noticed that the walmarts in this area have started to carry Synpower 5w-20. I am sure temped to switch, but at $21 it is a bit more pricy than MC. I just would like to have the extra protection of a syn since it sure does get hot here in the summer. Would it be worth the extra cost since the MC is a blend already and a pretty good oil?

I found this on the Synpower FAQ webpage:
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=19
click on FAQ

Is SynPower a full synthetic? Is SynPower motor oil PAO or ester based? Does it require a special filter?
Yes, SynPower is 100% synthetic. Synpower uses a proprietary combination of various types of synthetic base oils to obtain optimum performance.

Some other manufacturer websites when asked a similar question do specifically claim to have PAO/ester base stock, although they avoid answering the "100% PAO" question (so it seems obvious they are not 100% PAO). But it looks like Valvoline avoids answering the PAO question altogether perhaps suggesting they use only Group III, although I guess it is possible that they just used a poor choice of words in answering the question.

the heat will not hurt the oil, unless you're racing on a track.
for extra "protection" i blend a couple of quarts of synthetic 5w30 with the non synthetic 5w20. for example 1/2 a jug of supertech synthetic, or 1/2 jug QS synthetic on sale, but that's because my owners manuals call for 5w30. This will raise the hot viscosity enough so that there is a large margin of safety for shearing back.

Originally Posted By: Mark888
I found this on the Synpower FAQ webpage:
http://www.valvoline.com/pages/products/product_detail.asp?product=19
click on FAQ

Is SynPower a full synthetic? Is SynPower motor oil PAO or ester based? Does it require a special filter?
Yes, SynPower is 100% synthetic. Synpower uses a proprietary combination of various types of synthetic base oils to obtain optimum performance.
Kind of goofy how they string three different questions together in one FAQ. I'm sure that the PAO was apparent in the MSDS's and was present in all grades, but last I looked was sometime last year or so. Maybe they have generalized the MSDS since then. Worth another look.

Originally Posted By: TallPaul
Kind of goofy how they string three different questions together in one FAQ. I'm sure that the PAO was apparent in the MSDS's and was present in all grades, but last I looked was sometime last year or so. Maybe they have generalized the MSDS since then. Worth another look.

I suspect that Valvoline condensed his email into that format. Most of the FAQ's are like that.

I don't believe that PAO is listed in the MSDS. They are only required to list hazardous chemicals, and they don't even list mineral oil % in the US MSDS.

In the Japan MSDS they do have to list mineral oil, but not PAO. Mobil 1 in Japan apparently has about 40-50% mineral oil (probably hydrocraked Group III), about 10-15% additives, and the rest undisclosed (probably PAO/ester base).

I saw the 5 quart jugs of 5W-20 Synpower several weeks ago at $21.70, and they recently started carrying 5 quart jugs of 5W-20 Maxlife. One store wants $17.20, the other wants $16.50

Thanks for the tip. I was planning to switch our Honda Pilot over to PP 5W-20 next change from YB (we tow our boat with the vehicle in the warmer months), but may go with the SynPower instead.

Originally Posted By: Canawler
They might not be required to list PAO but they can if they wish.

Here is one that does:
http://www.amref.com/bp_msds/7126_BP_Pen..._0W-30_msds.pdf

I don't care about the MSDS, but I would like to see the FTC require motor oil companies disclose the type and amount of their base stocks. They wouldn't have to disclose the specific additives, so I don't think they would be revealing proprietary info.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back