Local Prius Dealer has 70 Prius' in Stock

Status
Not open for further replies.
Toyota's running a TV ad over here bragging about how now you can get the options and color you want.... and how option packages can save you $1500. So their increased production is finally catching up with demand...

I would not expect a great deal, but at least maybe you won't pay sticker.

Back in '03 or early '04 my dad started looking at hybrids. With the first generation of Prius, there were always a few on the lot, so he thought he could get one the same day. He was all ready to buy. He went to the Toyota dealer, and they told him there was a waiting list. He could have delt with that, but they were real smug about it and tried to get him to look at SUVs (why, I have no idea). He went to the Honda dealer and they were accomodating, plus he liked the more down to earth styling of the Civic. He still had to wait, and pay sticker, but he got his car. Unfortunately, it has had some quality issues. Fit and finish is surprisingly poor. He had wanted an Escape Hybrid, but they were not on the market at the time and he needed something right away (his Contour had just been totalled in a 45 MPH run in with a Cherokee).

Quote:

Toyota's running a TV ad over here bragging about how now you can get the options and color you want.... and how option packages can save you $1500. So their increased production is finally catching up with demand...

Yep, they're playing what I assume is the same TV commercial down here in Southeast Toyota's territory. I see this as a good thing. Buyers who want one have a much better chance of getting what they want, on a timely basis, at a better price. I'm somewhat amused at how first the hybrid haters hammer Toyota and the dealers when supply is tight and prices are high. And then when the supply loosens up, it's declared to be because no one wants them any more.
smirk.gif
Historically, I'd have to say that Toyota has a pretty strong track record with product/production decisions, and I think the decision to increase production on this car is another good one.

My local Toyota dealer also sells Mercedes, Suzuki, and Hyundai. Every car on the lot, bar none, have a big tag hanging on the rear view mirror stating what mpg it gets. No mention of price at all.

Quote:

Oh good! Now we're all set up if someone figures out how to manufacture hydrogen efficiently!

All ya gotta do is drop two carbon electrodes into water and feed 'em some juice..I saw it in science class once...

/sarcasm

Quote:

It wasn't very good and can't be supported in large numbers by the current electrical infrastructure anyway.

Peaker plants are a pretty expensive way to generate electrcity, and at least around here, they're all that's getting built.

Quote:

1) less aggressive driving on the road because most ppl know smooth driving is 1 way to conserve

I'd be happy if I didn't routinely get stuck behind people going 5-10 under the speed limit.

Hey, you know, VDOT *DOES* time those lights for traffic going the speed limit..what a concept!

Quote:

Quote:

It wasn't very good and can't be supported in large numbers by the current electrical infrastructure anyway.

Peaker plants are a pretty expensive way to generate electrcity, and at least around here, they're all that's getting built.

Maybe they should build ethanol distilleries beside the power plants, so the waste heat can go somewhere useful.

I don't think I'm ready for a hybrid yet. I don't need a new car--the ones I have now don't need replacements yet. Expensive gas is still cheaper than payments, and I'm seriously changing my driving style. I don't do 100% fast left lane anymore, and I coast down my street (downhill) with the engine off every time I come home.

I'm awaiting diesels and plug in hybrids to come to these shores. It will happen, soon. Aren't we getting new diesels in 2009-10??

Quote:

[I'd be happy if I didn't routinely get stuck behind people going 5-10 under the speed limit.

Hey, you know, VDOT *DOES* time those lights for traffic going the speed limit..what a concept!

Except in Alexandria... They have posted everywhere that the lights are timed for 25 MPH, but it never seems to work for me...
dunno.gif

JMH

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back