Local Pawn Shop - Tool shortage

JC1

I was out the other day and stopped by a local pawn shop that usually has a good selection of tools. They normally have a good selection of Hand tools, rachets, hammers etc and power tools. Some of these power tools get beat up pretty badly to the point where all the logs etc. are completely worn off.

I normally wouldn't buy any of those, due to the wear and tear. I haven't been to this pawn shops in months, normally the back wall with pegboard and three shelves are full of stuff. This time they had maybe 15% stock of what they normally had.

Have you guys noticed any shortage of tools at these local places? I'm guessing people aren't selling stuff due to the lockdown and possible shortages. Also some people are commanding higher prices for used stuff.

Just went to mine yesterday everything seemed normal they told me they don’t sell a whole lot of tools they specialize in guns and gold and stuff. I picked up a box full of tools like I usually do for $20 fill a box and it’s mine. I have been going there since I was around 14 or 15 to buy tools they have always been nice and stuff and have never been short on tools. Now they were short on air tools usually they have a whole shelf full they had one and it was a beat up Mech Power air gun. But as far as hand tools go they had plenty still lots of Craftsman USA and Snap-on.

Not really... I might go out to the local fleamarket once a month, but mostly I've been staying home. Home Depot is about the only place I'll go on a "regular" basis, and I have not noticed anything, other higher prices on lumber.

Go to the flea markets one weekend,there will be every tool imaginable there.

I bought a couple breaker bars at the flea market. Most of the tools seem way overpriced. But not as overpriced as the junky old golf clubs and fishing rods.

Gotta know how to bargain with them:D
Exactly ! Many of these flea markets are temporary setups so those folks have to pack the stuff up and take home and they're in business to sell stuff, not handle and transport it. Make an offer. They probably got a lot of their stuff in bulk or lot sale so what they paid likely works out to be very minimal.

New ownership? Most pawn shops around me charge 80%+ of retail for tools HEAVILY beat....but there's a new chain that charges 30-50% of retail, usually in good condition.

Sometimes owners "see the light".... certainly they CAN charge anything they want but it doesn't mean anyone is buying

New ownership? Most pawn shops around me charge 80%+ of retail for tools HEAVILY beat....but there's a new chain that charges 30-50% of retail, usually in good condition.

Sometimes owners "see the light".... certainly they CAN charge anything they want but it doesn't mean anyone is buying
I think it's the same ownership. I guess it's just a reflection of what is going on with the economy and how people may not be as free with money and flipping tools.

There are different types of pawn shops and customers. The one I go to, you can get some reasonable deals sometimes on tools. I'm finding people almost want full price on stuff these days. I used to be glued to the websites searching daily and checking for deals. I've slowed down on tool purchases, I have most of what I need. The only thing I need more of is garage space now.

Last year I bought a nice clean, lots of torque for drilling studs, Milwaukee 1/2" drill for $17 and a Skill impact drill $17, Ridgid tile wet saw $70. There are a lot of bargains to be found.

Reactions: JC1
Back