Local GM dealers selling trucks like crazy

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am just curious if this is a local phenomena, but our two GM dealers are selling trucks like hotcakes. Currently both have zero new fullsize GM trucks on their lots (well, the Chevy dealer has one Hybrid on display). This is unheard of since this area sells a lot of pick-up truck (the domestics usually sell more trucks than cars by a longshot). Most of the time the stock at these GM lots are probably at least 2/3's trucks.

My brother went to test drive one the other day at the GMC dealer and they told him they have many coming in on order, but they are already sold. The prices are the lowest I've seen in years, so this is probably a big part of the reason. Ford and Dodge dealers still have lots of trucks locally.

Anyone else seeing this in their area?

Due to my boss's astute ordering we are doing the same in the deep south.

All the hard-to-get models? We have a ton of them, and they're selling like crazy. Sierra's, Yukons, Acadias. Plus, we're Buick as well, and the Enclave is moving also.

We sold a dozen Pontiacs to another dealer, and still have a good inventory.

GM has cut way back on production of trucks that's why there are few on the lots.I know a guy that works at the local GM plant that did make trucks and vans. Now only vans are made and limited production at that . Only one shift making vans and the truck line shut down completely.

Last edited:
0% financing for 60 or 72 months will certainly drive business.

With inflation looming, and a pent up demand for vehicles, I can see why sales are up. Those that are in a position should get them now while production is up and interest rates are low.

Both the Dodge and Chev/GMC dealer here in town have little new stock of trucks. Mainly just the stripped down models. Most other dealers in neighboring towns are the same way. No trucks left new or used.

You get something for your $$$ when you buy a truck. How many 20 year old cars are on the road as compared to trucks?

I imagine it's the economy. Most dealers are probably not ordering trucks due to expected rise in gas prices this summer. Plus, GM has idled several plants.

There's a big shortage of large SUV's here in Texas. I hope that the supply/demand ration works out favorably for GM and they don't resort to overstocking the lots again when the plants start back up next week. I think they are trying to control the SUV/truck production because my plant has been down for 8 weeks, plenty of time to wean some trucks off the lots. We start back up July 13 (tommorrow) and will work 2 weeks and be down again for two more weeks in August. Unless this changes, schedules change at GM all the time.

But, let's look at the sales of big trucks and SUV's. While it is very true that the incentives drive a large portion of these sales - but you have to have people that WANT to buy them too. And this is still the case in our country. While the new President wants us all driving small cars and many people are on this bandwagon. That's fine, but it seems that many folks do not want to drive small cars and want the larger trucks. As long as we are not forced to drive small cars and the market adjusts itself to support EVERYONE'S disired vehicles all should be well. GM is weaning itself off relying on large SUV's by the latest push to introduce more and more fuel efficient cars that the public needs. However, we cannot ignore the large truck market as that would be dumb to not tap those money generating sales. They just need to reinvest the profits more across the model lineup than just trucks...and that has finally started. There will always be large SUV markets. just not as large as we've seen the last 10 years or so.

I should note that our dealers are moving a ton of trucks, it's not that they are just not re-stocking trucks. The sold section on the one GMC lot is bigger than I have ever seen before. Plus, it seems all the new trucks that have been ordered are already sold to customers. The cash prices at the local dealers are dirt cheap right now, and I have heard lots of people looking at a new truck now just because of these low prices.

Locally, it's not an issue of trucks not selling. Even when the gas prices were sky high last summer, trucks still sold well here. Like I said, trucks are big sellers in this area.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back