Local Garage Bulk Oil

Status
Not open for further replies.
I’m taking my 2022 Ford Ranger in for an oil change soon and have decided to try a local independent garage that is highly rated and close by.

They say they use a full synthetic oil but when I asked what brand I was told “it’s a bulk oil, but it’s definitely a full synthetic.”

I’m guessing they get different brands based on price?

I am in the “frequent oil change” crowd, so I’m sure whatever oil they have will be just fine, but question really is does anyone know what the most likely brand would be?

The shop that I use will use the oil and filter that I carry in, and charge me $11 labor to change it and to grease what needs to be greased.

This way it doesn't matter whatever oil is in their bulk tank.

I did an UOA on the bulk oil that the shop used, as it came out of one of the dud Jasper engines... and it was not pretty. No more. Weak stuff.

Last edited:
I am in the “frequent oil change” crowd, so I’m sure whatever oil they have will be just fine, but question really is does anyone know what the most likely brand would be?
I am not sure how anyone here would know the specific brand a random and unnamed garage would be using. Just make sure it carries the API license or manufacturer specification listed in your owner’s manual.

The drum should have a label on it.
Not sure I’ll be allowed back to see. They will drive the vehicle around back and the waiting room is closed off sort of speak.
It could be anything. I used to have a Castrol GTX tank and when the inital fill was gone, we shopped by price. You'll be fine @Tickle Zombie .
No doubt. I am thinking on bringing in my own oil but then I wonder if they will actually use it whether by purposely not or “muscle memory” they will just naturally go to the bulk oil. 😄

I am not sure how anyone here would know the specific brand a random and unnamed garage would be using. Just make sure it carries the API license or manufacturer specification listed in your owner’s manual.
I guess I should have posted a poll or something like that on what members think it would be. Does anyone know what brands are bought most by garages? Perhaps not, just another oil discussion thread. 😃

If it were me I would want to know what kind of oil was going in. If it were the dealer using bulk oil I would be ok since they would validate their work if a problem arose.

The shop that I use will use the oil and filter that I carry in, and charge me $11 labor to change it and to grease what needs to be greased.

This way it doesn't matter whatever oil is in their bulk tank.

I did an UOA on the bulk oil that the shop used, as it came out of one of the dud Jasper engines... and it was not pretty. No more. Weak stuff.
How do you know though they used the oil you brought in? Granted you can tell if they used the filter and then probably the oil too, but still… Things to ponder. 😀

If it were me I would want to know what kind of oil was going in. If it were the dealer using bulk oil I would be ok since they would validate their work if a problem arose.
I had a Kia Soul once and the dealer used either CAM2 or whatever and always listed a different viscosity then was required. Dealer AND Kia said “no biggie” 🙁
Yes, I did have problems with the car.

They are a part of the TechNet professional program so I’m sure (or would assume) they would use decent stuff. I’m still so dang curious though as to what they use! 🤣

They are a part of the TechNet professional program so I’m sure (or would assume) they would use decent stuff. I’m still so dang curious though as to what they use! 🤣
Perhaps some day you will get up the nerve to ask them, or show you the drum. Crazy stuff to think anyone here would have a clue.

Perhaps some day you will get up the nerve to ask them, or show you the drum. Crazy stuff to think anyone here would have a clue.
I did ask and they will probably never show me or anyone due to insurance reasons not allowing people in the shop area anymore.
Again, post is meant for a discussion/something to ponder.
Have a great day!

I did ask and they will probably never show me or anyone due to insurance reasons not allowing people in the shop area anymore.
Again, post is meant for a discussion/something to ponder.
Have a great day!
Then I’d cease going there. Surely there is a place that will tell you such as a local Jiffy Lube. They will tell you the moment you ask and will undoubtedly show you if you ask.

It sure seems a heck of a lot easier than all the random and unanswerable work this thread requires, a poll notwithstanding.

Not sure I’ll be allowed back to see. They will drive the vehicle around back and the waiting room is closed off sort of speak.

No doubt. I am thinking on bringing in my own oil but then I wonder if they will actually use it whether by purposely not or “muscle memory” they will just naturally go to the bulk oil. 😄
If a shop won't let you look, what does that tell you?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back