Local farm raised eggs

Good Morning BITOGERS. A local farmer friend of mine with 25 chickens and roosters gave me about 3 dozen eggs. Free range, roaming and they lay TONS of eggs.

In one pic, two eggs on left are from his chickens, one on right is englands best. Other pic; that egg was a double yoke
smile.gif

[Linked Image]

[Linked Image]

Kidding! We have 12 chickens and get nearly a dozen a day. We have "share-cropped" them with two other neighbors to make the intake more manageable. Of the three of us, we each take a week...works great!!

Just make sure those layin hens aint pecking up the slugs near the target range out back!

Or we be calling you "ole lead belly" by next year ...

and you can't play the git fiddle worth nuttin!

I always love when my wifes coworker sends eggs. You can see a huge difference in the quality of the shell and the color of the yolks. One 12 pack we got was all greens and blues!

Originally Posted by Audios
I always love when my wifes coworker sends eggs. You can see a huge difference in the quality of the shell and the color of the yolks. One 12 pack we got was all greens and blues!

Spoken for truth. The yokes are deep yellow and taste is unmatched compared to egglands best

Originally Posted by Audios

Must have been Araucana chickens, they are the only ones that lay coloured shells, also their eggs have the lowest cholesterol level on any agg.

We have five hens. We get about 4 eggs a day. Beside store bought feed, we give them all our table scraps and they love it. Especially cherry tomatoes. They will fight over them.

Been eating farm fresh eggs most of my life and I would rather go without than buy store bought eggs. The yokes are huge on the eggs we get and it doesn't seem to matter what size the egg is either. I eat at least one egg a day.

Originally Posted by Rat407
We have five hens. We get about 4 eggs a day. Beside store bought feed, we give them all our table scraps and they love it. Especially cherry tomatoes. They will fight over them.

Ours Like bugs and mice too.

for sure animals that are fed the correct diet are better overall. typical factory farmed anything is not as good or nutritious as years gone by. i LOVE eggs + their cholesterol means NOTHING, in fact its a building block for many things in our bodies. when i was young a family friend gave us the best eggs ever like you noted. today unless you have friends that raise chickens for theirselves your gonna pay for better eggs. Pete + Jerrys i think is is the best supermarket egg at about $5 a dozen, deep yellow yokes good shells + nice collagen inside the shell which is often thrown away! you can peel it off though its a pita. collagen makes up half of our bones + your joints will thank you for it as my sore knees were CURED after watching Dr Ken D Berrys vids!!

We don't have a farmer source or hobbiest source for eggs and so have to buy ours from the grocery. However, we buy the free range and non-gmo fed brown eggs. They look like the one 53' Stude is holding in the pic. The yolks are noticeably darker orange than the typical Egg Land's Best or generic brand white shell eggs. It's hard to go back to mass produced eggs after getting used to these kind.

I've got four hens and get 2-3 eggs per day. As others said, the yellow yolks and taste are amazing.

I buy from a local that has hens. The yolks are orange versus the yellow in stores.

I had to read up on it.. even though i had chickens when i was young.

Orange Yolks means that they are eating more calories than a Yellow Yolk chicken. Less carotene in their diets.

Also i have noticed that his fresh eggs cause the yolks to break easily when i drop them in the skillet which i had to read on it also.. supposedly lack of protein in their diet.

So im guessing he feeds them high calorie but low protein feed?

Dunno about feed but let's them roam all day and probably at night too

I get a load of manure from him for the gf's compost tumbler or garbage can size or 2. Garden and other plants love it. He has no problem giving me eggs as him, his "pap" or grandpa and my real dad go way back

Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I buy from a local that has hens. The yolks are orange versus the yellow in stores.

I had to read up on it.. even though i had chickens when i was young.

Orange Yolks means that they are eating more calories than a Yellow Yolk chicken. Less carotene in their diets.

Also i have noticed that his fresh eggs cause the yolks to break easily when i drop them in the skillet which i had to read on it also.. supposedly lack of protein in their diet.

So im guessing he feeds them high calorie but low protein feed?

The orange yoke is from a more varied diet. Free range hens eat feed, bugs, grass, rocks, etc. It's the same reason something like wild caught catfish have red meat and a farm raised catfish is white.

Back