Local farm raised eggs

Joined
Jul 2, 2007
Messages
5,295
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I buy from a local that has hens. The yolks are orange versus the yellow in stores. I had to read up on it.. even though i had chickens when i was young. Orange Yolks means that they are eating more calories than a Yellow Yolk chicken. Less carotene in their diets. Also i have noticed that his fresh eggs cause the yolks to break easily when i drop them in the skillet which i had to read on it also.. supposedly lack of protein in their diet. So im guessing he feeds them high calorie but low protein feed?
The orange yoke is from a more varied diet. Free range hens eat feed, bugs, grass, rocks, etc. It's the same reason something like wild caught catfish have red meat and a farm raised catfish is white.
approved So orange yoke means you're getting the Real Deal, the way nature intends... more or less.
 
Joined
Aug 4, 2011
Messages
2,572
Location
GoVols
And we think this is something new........our...my parents and grandparents and past generation are the original Organic people. Store bought eggs are relative new to our times considering our past. Enjoy guys I've got 4 hens that lay more eggs than I can eat !!👍👍
 
Joined
Dec 11, 2009
Messages
973
Location
Battle Creek, MI
Originally Posted by LoneRanger
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by krismoriah72
I buy from a local that has hens. The yolks are orange versus the yellow in stores. I had to read up on it.. even though i had chickens when i was young. Orange Yolks means that they are eating more calories than a Yellow Yolk chicken. Less carotene in their diets. Also i have noticed that his fresh eggs cause the yolks to break easily when i drop them in the skillet which i had to read on it also.. supposedly lack of protein in their diet. So im guessing he feeds them high calorie but low protein feed?
The orange yoke is from a more varied diet. Free range hens eat feed, bugs, grass, rocks, etc. It's the same reason something like wild caught catfish have red meat and a farm raised catfish is white.
approved So orange yoke means you're getting the Real Deal, the way nature intends... more or less.
Orange yolk means they are eating foods that contain carotenoids, i.e. corn.
 
Joined
Jan 3, 2012
Messages
6,023
Location
Florida
Originally Posted by SVTCobra
Orange yolk means they are eating foods that contain carotenoids, i.e. corn.
If eating corn made yokes orange every egg in the store would look like the setting Sun.
 
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
6,028
Location
Ohio
I don't know what the big deal is with "free range roaming". Has anyone seen what a chicken will eat when it is loose? MANURE! and lots of it. I also wouldn't buy fresh eggs from someone who has a rooster around. Broke too many eggs open over the frying pan only to have a little chicken fall out onto my frying pan. That's enough for me to spoil my appetite.
 
Joined
Sep 5, 2018
Messages
1,177
Location
Southeast PA
Originally Posted by Lubener
I don't know what the big deal is with "free range roaming". Has anyone seen what a chicken will eat when it is loose? MANURE! and lots of it. I also wouldn't buy fresh eggs from someone who has a rooster around. Broke too many eggs open over the frying pan only to have a little chicken fall out onto my frying pan. That's enough for me to spoil my appetite.
Been there and done that. For awhile I couldn't eat eggs because of this.
 
Joined
Dec 11, 2009
Messages
973
Location
Battle Creek, MI
Originally Posted by hatt
Originally Posted by SVTCobra
Orange yolk means they are eating foods that contain carotenoids, i.e. corn.
If eating corn made yokes orange every egg in the store would look like the setting Sun.
Corn is just an example. Also corn isn't the only thing in a diet of any chicken. Soybean meal is commonly used in commercial diets for protein, which doesn't cause the egg yolk to turn yellow/orange.
 
Joined
Dec 11, 2009
Messages
973
Location
Battle Creek, MI
Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by Lubener
I don't know what the big deal is with "free range roaming". Has anyone seen what a chicken will eat when it is loose? MANURE! and lots of it. I also wouldn't buy fresh eggs from someone who has a rooster around. Broke too many eggs open over the frying pan only to have a little chicken fall out onto my frying pan. That's enough for me to spoil my appetite.
Been there and done that. For awhile I couldn't eat eggs because of this.
Girlfriend and I have 12 hens and two roosters for a year now. Haven't run into that issue yet. My understanding is if you pick the eggs up everyday the chickens won't try to incubate the egg and you won't ever get a baby chick when you're expecting an egg.
 
Joined
Jan 22, 2011
Messages
6,028
Location
Ohio
Originally Posted by SVTCobra
Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by Lubener
I don't know what the big deal is with "free range roaming". Has anyone seen what a chicken will eat when it is loose? MANURE! and lots of it. I also wouldn't buy fresh eggs from someone who has a rooster around. Broke too many eggs open over the frying pan only to have a little chicken fall out onto my frying pan. That's enough for me to spoil my appetite.
Been there and done that. For awhile I couldn't eat eggs because of this.
Girlfriend and I have 12 hens and two roosters for a year now. Haven't run into that issue yet. My understanding is if you pick the eggs up everyday the chickens won't try to incubate the egg and you won't ever get a baby chick when you're expecting an egg.
Your rooster must be shooting blanks.
 
Joined
Jan 3, 2012
Messages
6,023
Location
Florida
Originally Posted by SVTCobra
Originally Posted by diyjake
Originally Posted by Lubener
I don't know what the big deal is with "free range roaming". Has anyone seen what a chicken will eat when it is loose? MANURE! and lots of it. I also wouldn't buy fresh eggs from someone who has a rooster around. Broke too many eggs open over the frying pan only to have a little chicken fall out onto my frying pan. That's enough for me to spoil my appetite.
Been there and done that. For awhile I couldn't eat eggs because of this.
Girlfriend and I have 12 hens and two roosters for a year now. Haven't run into that issue yet. My understanding is if you pick the eggs up everyday the chickens won't try to incubate the egg and you won't ever get a baby chick when you're expecting an egg.
You're not going to have an issue if you collect eggs from laying boxes every day or two. You have to be careful if you find eggs that are being laid somewhere else you don't check regular. It's more likely to be rotten than have a baby chick though. I don't know where those two guys were getting eggs. Hens can get broody even without a rooster around. They are a pain and you need to get them out of the boxes if you see them hanging out or getting protective of the nesting laying box.
 
Last edited:

53' Stude

Thread starter
Joined
Mar 12, 2015
Messages
18,478
Location
In the shop
Well, farmer/horse trainer friend is dropping off dozen every 4 days. All he asks is I return the cartons. Had a omelette with two smaller eggs he dropped off with some chili peppers diced, bit.of a onion chopped and some diced tomato and dash of this. I use this "death sauce" as co worker calls it on my hard boiled eggs and other foods. I personally love hot stuff. And cheap at $1.30~ at my Foodland grin2 [Linked Image]
 
Joined
Mar 15, 2014
Messages
207
Location
WA
One of the toughest things about having chickens is finding enough people to take the eggs. We have two chickens and two ducks left and that's too many eggs for two people, when we had more chickens we couldn't give eggs away quick enough. We love the chicken eggs and I think the duck eggs are even better. We tried free ranging for a while, but if a predator or neighbor's dog decides they want a chicken dinner they're an easy snack.
 
Joined
Jan 3, 2012
Messages
6,023
Location
Florida
Originally Posted by ondarvr
One of the toughest things about having chickens is finding enough people to take the eggs. We have two chickens and two ducks left and that's too many eggs for two people, when we had more chickens we couldn't give eggs away quick enough. We love the chicken eggs and I think the duck eggs are even better. We tried free ranging for a while, but if a predator or neighbor's dog decides they want a chicken dinner they're an easy snack.
We use to give away a bunch of eggs. We give extra to the dogs now. Cuts down on dog food costs.
 
Top