Local Dealer with Hundreds of Used VW TDI

Wonder how much performance & mpg suffered in order to become compliant. [Probably still faster and better than anything I own!]

Originally Posted by Nick1994
We've been wondering whatever happened to my aunt's TDI. A Google search doesn't bring anything up, but maybe it was scrapped? Not sure how to look up what happened.

VIN:
3VWJL7AT6DM674375

PM sent

I purchased a Dieselgate Golf about a year and a half ago and really like it. Mine was a little older, 2013 model with ~68K miles at the time. Turbo Diesel torque is addictive. no drama/revving the crap out of it, just instant smooth power off the line.

I've put 20K miles on it so far and nothing mechanical has had issues. Mine does have a sunroof leak and a tail light that is out, not the bulb though. Need to bring it in under warranty. If you get a certified one ( I think this is the key) they are under bumper to bumper warranty for 2 years unlimited miles. On top of that is the extended emissions warranty.

Oil changes and fuel filter changes are easy.

As far as sitting for 3+ years. VW is authorized to replace parts to bring them back to drive-able condition. Mine had a oil change, fuel filter, new brake pads/rotors all the way around and new tires.

I think they are neat cars and you can pick them up for cheap now if you can support a TDI. They do require a little more maintenance then lets say a Camry/Accord etc so people need to be realistic if they are looking at them.

Originally Posted by Huie83
I think they are neat cars and you can pick them up for cheap now if you can support a TDI. They do require a little more maintenance then lets say a Camry/Accord etc so people need to be realistic if they are looking at them.

That's the problem, I got tired of driving 2 hours to get service at a reputable shop. Didn't trust the dealer and there was nobody around, and I didn't have a garage (and a spare vehicle) to just do any work myself (timing belts, turbo, clutch).

Originally Posted by supton
Originally Posted by Huie83

That's the problem, I got tired of driving 2 hours to get service at a reputable shop. Didn't trust the dealer and there was nobody around, and I didn't have a garage (and a spare vehicle) to just do any work myself (timing belts, turbo, clutch).

Yep absolutely. I believe the people that hate on TDI's don't think the details through before purchasing them and can't support their requirements. They are unique.

Make sure the VW dealer by you has a TDI tech or a local Indy knows them. Luckily I have 2 dealers within 30 minutes that know TDI's as well as a local VW shop that can work on them after the warranty is up if I keep it. They are pretty easy to work on if you are mechanically inclined as well. They do require special tools as like most German makes. I did the 80K service (Oil change, fuel filter and DSG trans fluid and filter change, cabin/air filters etc) on mine using OEM parts for ~$250 in parts and a few hours of my time. Lots of DIY's out there now. Not difficult to work on by any means. Just need the resources to do so.

They are not for everyone.

No, they are not for everyone. I loved mine, and went in eyes wide open, but after several years I got tired of the drive. I got lucky and an indie opened up shop much closer, but when he closed that was the last straw for me.

Still liked that car, not convinced it was a bad purchase, but not sure if DPF's are long lived yet or not.

My go-to indie mechanic won't work on German cars. That kinda keeps me leery of choosing one.

It's not the same world as my '81 Rabbit Diesel was born into. No special computers needed to fix that car.

Like I said, had there been a Sportwagen, and I don't even know if they were offered at that time, with a manual transaxle, I might have been tempted.

I suspect the stick shift cars just went away as VW didn't want to reprogram them. Or maybe my local dealer didn't want the double whammy of a diesel stick...

Originally Posted by supton
No, they are not for everyone. I loved mine, and went in eyes wide open, but after several years I got tired of the drive. I got lucky and an indie opened up shop much closer, but when he closed that was the last straw for me.

Still liked that car, not convinced it was a bad purchase, but not sure if DPF's are long lived yet or not.

Wow when I was in the vw scene (up to about 7-8 years ago) you were lucky if could find one at a dealer. I can't believe they haven't found a reasonably profitable way to get these compliant and back on the road.

Those TDIs are now priced appropriately.

Diesel anything consumer trucks, suvs and cars are overpriced profit center for an engine.

VW BUYBACK TDI BUYING GUIDE.

VW Diesel geek reporting for duty. I can share some info for anyone considering buying one of these awesome cars.

I had a 2009 Jetta 6MT which was sold back to VW in 2018 for $13.5k with 120k miles.

VW bought back or "fixed" all TDIs from 2009-2015. The buyback was a better deal for me as my car had a number of issues which appeared around 100k as well as some body damage. I also was the original owner so I got top dollar for the car.

All the 2009 TDIs were not fixed and resold. They got crushed as a business decision by VW regardless of condition. I can tell you that there was a mint condition white 2009 sportwagen DSG with 30k miles that was turned in for buyback at the dealership on the same day as mine, however they wouldn't let me buy it because it was a 2009. What a shame to crush such an immaculate car strictly based on the model year.

Most of the 2010 TDIs were also crushed because of age and/or condition. As a result 2009 and 2010 TDIs are rare now. 2011-2015 TDIs are much more common. 2010 Jetta sedans are the most desirable as the got the updated MK6 interior while retaining the multi link rear suspension. All sportwagens kept the multi link rear until 2014.

Beware if buying a dealership or CPO buyback TDI. I looked at a number of low mileage buyback sportwagens, and all had issues due to deferred maintenance or neglect. One of them had obvious coolant in the engine oil and after notifying the salesman on my test drive, they just sold it to someone else. I stopped looking for any buyback cars due to my experience dealing with dishonest dealers and seeing/evaluating these cars during the test drive.

I decided to look for a 2009-2010 sportwagen TDI project car that was owned by the original owner who took care of it. It took my 1.5 years but I found one about 3 hours away.

Clean 1 owner 2010 Sportwagen TDI 6MT w/ 46k miles. Paid $6800. Owner was an old guy who died from metastasized lung cancer. I bought the car from the trustee of the estate and got his death certificate and will. It's not perfect but much nicer than any of the CPO or buyback cars I looked at.

Last edited:
WOW !!!! NOW i know why im seeing so many of those VW's TDI's around here in Dallas

Interesting out come to the "dieselgate" scam from VW !!
35.gif

Dave

Last edited:
Back