lLicense plate Frame

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'd like to ditch the dealer frame on my 15 Civic and replace with a brushed stainless steel frame. Lots of them out there and a lot of variation in quality. Does anybody have any experience with a reputable and durable brand?

Originally Posted By: Miller88
Are they legal in your state?

Here in The People's Republic of NY they are illegal and you can get ticketed for them.

I wonder why? Betting the covers are as well?

I have smoke colored covers on all my cars (since they are silver) and only been pulled over once, because her plate is like 15 years old and starting to look that.....

Be careful any you get don't cover anything on the plate. I have been told by numerous police officers I know that any plate frame that covers any printing on the plate, including the "California" script gives them probable cause to pull someone over.

As long as the registration sticker in the upper left corner and the state name at the top aren't covered, you are OK in Pennsylvania. I did see the autogold ones,they are probably my top choice so far. I thought about a full carbon fiber one,but wonder how it would hold up to power spray in a car wash.

A lot of frames safe flimsy or cheap or ugly or cover too much plate. There is only one I've found in the mainstream that's good. It's sold both at aap and AZ. It's the second from thinnest met frame. The thinnest doesn't cover the plate at all. The second one does just enough to hide edges without hiding anything else.

Originally Posted By: daves87rs
Originally Posted By: dlayman
I'd like to ditch the dealer frame on my 15 Civic and replace with a brushed stainless steel frame. Lots of them out there and a lot of variation in quality. Does anybody have any experience with a reputable and durable brand?

http://www.weathertech.com/stainlessframe/

I do like the space plate that keeps the plate off the metal on the car. I wonder if I can buy just that, hmmmm.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: mclasser
License plate frames are pretty useless IMO.

Yup, I don't use them. If you need a spaced, just get some vacuum line and cut it thin and put it in between the plate and the body.

Originally Posted By: mclasser
License plate frames are pretty useless IMO.

Initially I just wanted to take off the dealer frame, they always look so tacky. But, when I tried that the plate was bent slightly and touched the surface of the car (largely because its a 4-hole design and they only attached two screws
mad.gif
That weathertech one with the spacer bracket, looks like it should solve that problem. They don't include hardware though so I'll need to pick up two more screws.

I Like (and have) the plain, black, thin RUBBER material 'edge cover' (can't really call it a frame).
It slips over the whole outside edge of the plate and covers NO lettering/stickers whatsoever.

It just keeps my one back plate from rattling/vibrating, and/or scratching the bumper inset, since my factory plate mount only has two top screws holding it on.
wink.gif

Originally Posted By: satinsilver

I do like the space plate that keeps the plate off the metal on the car. I wonder if I can buy just that, hmmmm.

My wife's car came with one of those plastic frames with the dealer's name on it. I just flipped it over, put it on the back side of the license plate and re-mounted the plate. No worries about scratched paint and the price was right (well, at least I didn't have to pay extra for it).

Originally Posted By: Rick in PA
Originally Posted By: satinsilver

My wife's car came with one of those plastic frames with the dealer's name on it. I just flipped it over, put it on the back side of the license plate and re-mounted the plate. No worries about scratched paint and the price was right (well, at least I didn't have to pay extra for it).

That's an interesting idea. I may give that a try.

Tried Rick's idea of flipping the dealer plate and using it as a mounting bracket. It worked really well and the tabs on the frame secure the plate. Much better, no more rattling when I close the trunk. Thanks Rick in PA.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back