LJ 4 Driver

Status
Not open for further replies.
I'm sure some of the seasoned IT guys and gals on here will known exactly what I mean when I say that I'm thankful for the LaserJet 4 and LaserJet 4 Plus (for duplex) drivers.

Just had to straighten out a clients print server with 20 printers. All were using the specified model's driver. Spooler crashing many times a day and slow print outs.

Went for the good old trusty LJ 4 and 4+ and excellent printing. It's nothing fancy, but what more do you need.

Last edited:
I had to support a school once with a print server that had a few hundred printers. There were 10 different printer models, all were non-PCL compatible. Half were color inkjet windows-only printers. It was a freaking nightmare.

Originally Posted By: redhat
I'm sure some of the seasoned IT guys and gals on here will known exactly what I mean when I say that I'm thankful for the LaserJet 4 and LaserJet 4 Plus (for duplex) drivers.

The hardware was nothing to sneeze at, either. The 4 Plus is one of my favorite printers of all time, basically my favorite laser printer.

We had an HP 4L laser printer that was just fantastic. Toner was getting expensive for it and it eventually quit feeding paper reliably. But that was after about 15 years' worth of use. Great little unit. The 5L that replaced it was junk in comparison.

Originally Posted By: Garak
Originally Posted By: redhat

The hardware was nothing to sneeze at, either. The 4 Plus is one of my favorite printers of all time, basically my favorite laser printer.

They were also ridiculously easy to repair.

Going from repairing a 3si to a 4/4+ was like going from an over-engineered device that resembled a Rube Goldberg machine to something that was simple and elegant. The only failures were print heads and main gear assy, and both were easy peasy.

Originally Posted By: Hokiefyd
We had an HP 4L laser printer that was just fantastic. Toner was getting expensive for it and it eventually quit feeding paper reliably. But that was after about 15 years' worth of use. Great little unit. The 5L that replaced it was junk in comparison.

paper feed issues were an easy fix on the 4L, but it's hard to get over the spiking cost of toner for these old reliables.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back