Liver transplant

Status
Not open for further replies.
According to a report in the Wall Street Journal Steve Jobs, the CEO of Apple Inc., had a liver transplant about 2 months ago. There is very limited available information but he apparently can return to work at Apple around the end of June.

I am glad to hear that he is doing well but one thing disturbs me. When Jobs left for 6 month medical leave the story from Jobs and top Apple management was that Jobs had a hormonal imbalance that could be treated easily with a nutritional plan. Now we are hearing, according to the Wall Street Journal, that he had a liver transplant. His health is his own business but I don't appreciate what seems like dishonesty. I like when people are honest with me. I don't like to do business with people who seem dishonest. Of course maybe they found out he needed the liver transplant sometime after he talked about the hormonal imbalance. Who knows.

Well, that is true. But dishonesty has always affected me greatly. I am expected to be honest, so I expect the same from others. Of course, there has been a huge change in values and everything else in this country and throughout the world. Personally, I still feel that in the end a person will be judged by various things, but values and honesty will be taken into consideration in the end.

A person could make a trillion dollars in their lifetime but in the end if they are a jerk they will be remembered as having been a jerk. I would not mind being able to make a lot of money but at the end of my life what will be even more important will be what I think of myself and what others think of me. I hope I will be considered by others as having been someone of some values and integrity.

I'm sure the fact that Steve Jobs didn't tell reveal publicly, or inform you personally regarding his medical condition means eternal perdition for that lying, pathetic excuse of a human being.

An acquaintance of mine had a liver transplant a little over a year ago. The fact that he was able to donate a few million to a high profile NYC hospital had nothing to do with his rise to the top of the waiting list, did it?

Unfortunately, his body rejected the liver and he died within a few months. He left about $65 million to his best friend with an understanding that the estate would be liquidated to various charities over time.

So, it's not all bad.

Originally Posted By: moribundman
I'm sure the fact that Steve Jobs didn't tell reveal publicly, or inform you personally regarding his medical condition means eternal perdition for that lying, pathetic excuse of a human being.

LOL.gif

I don't expect Steve Jobs to inform me about anything. But I will say this, so read carefully-Apple and Steve Jobs DID release public statements to the effect that Jobs had a hormonal imbalance that could be corrected through some sort of nutritional plan. If those public statements were falsehoods I would prefer if they had said nothing at all. Either say nothing or tell the truth. Do you like for people to be honest with you, Mori?

If I find out that somebody I do business with is dishonest, I quite doing business with that person or company.

For now this liver transplant has not been confirmed, although the Wall Street Journal should be a decent news source. And if Steve Jobs did get the liver transplant, maybe he and Apple did not know that he would need a liver transplant until AFTER the above public statements were made. But if Jobs and Apple top management KNEW all along that he was going to need a liver transplant and they still issued those misleading public statements...I don't do business with companies like that.

I have to agree that Mr Jobs health is his own private issue. However, as a share holder, I have a right to a full and honest disclosure of the health issues that effect the business and the share price. (For example, Mr. Jobs saying "[he needed to gain a few pounds.]" Then, having a liver transplant is not my idea of full disclosure and counts as subterfuge in my eyes!

Originally Posted By: jeff8407
I have to agree that Mr Jobs health is his own private issue. However, as a share holder, I have a right to a full and honest disclosure of the health issues that effect the business and the share price. (For example, Mr. Jobs saying "[he needed to gain a few pounds.]" Then, having a liver transplant is not my idea of full disclosure and counts as subterfuge in my eyes!

You don't know when what was known to whom. Neither do I. Therefore I refuse to speculate or to pass judgement.

Originally Posted By: Mystic
Well, that is true. But dishonesty has always affected me greatly. I am expected to be honest, so I expect the same from others. Of course, there has been a huge change in values and everything else in this country and throughout the world. Personally, I still feel that in the end a person will be judged by various things, but values and honesty will be taken into consideration in the end.

A person could make a trillion dollars in their lifetime but in the end if they are a jerk they will be remembered as having been a jerk. I would not mind being able to make a lot of money but at the end of my life what will be even more important will be what I think of myself and what others think of me. I hope I will be considered by others as having been someone of some values and integrity.

hear, hear. I feel this every day.
I care about my work (much more than i should if you look at my pay) even though I have issues with it. At the end of the day people take advantage of you.

Here's my take:

1)Good for him to get the medical attention he needed, but how does he rise to the top of the waiting list and how honest is this rise concerns me. Not that he is less deserving than someone who doesn't take care of his/her health, but did he get there just because he is rich?

2)If a share holder speculate the company's future performance based on the health of one of its executive, then it would be a very risky investment. What if he leave? What if he die in an accident? What if he made a mistake and no one can get him out?

3)I think the performance when Steve is gone is a good indication that Apple can run its own course without him, and in a good way. That means the company is doing well and is stable.

If I find out that somebody I do business with is dishonest, I quite doing business with that person or company.

For now this liver transplant has not been confirmed, although the Wall Street Journal should be a decent news source. And if Steve Jobs did get the liver transplant, maybe he and Apple did not know that he would need a liver transplant until AFTER the above public statements were made. But if Jobs and Apple top management KNEW all along that he was going to need a liver transplant and they still issued those misleading public statements...I don't do business with companies like that.
Originally Posted By: moribundman
You are merely speculating, and yet you pass moral judgement.
Really? Ya sure? Hypothetical situations and contingency plans do have a place.

Mori will defend Jobs and Apple forever. That is fine with me. I was a fairly diehard Apple fan myself for quite a while. But if I feel somebody is lying to me it is very hard to continue to be loyal. At least for me it is hard to continue to be loyal. I guess we should praise Mori for his never ending devotion to Apple no matter what.

Once again, this Steve Job's liver transplant has not been confirmed. But I think the Wall Street Journal is a reasonably credible news source. People went to Apple to confirm the information and a Apple spokeswoman basically refused to say anything except that Jobs would be returning to work at Apple somewhere around the end of June. I think Apple guards its secrets better than the CIA.

If Jobs did receive a liver transplant it is hard for me personally to believe that his need for one was not known a considerable period of time ago.

Let me explain. In California the waiting list to receive a liver transplant is something like 110 days or so (I am not sure of the exact figure). In Tenessee where he supposedly received the liver transplant the waiting list is 58 days. He would have had to relocate temporarily to that state and since he supposedly received the liver transplant about 2 months ago and there is a waiting list of 58 days (plus whatever time is required to be considered a resident of that state) that takes us back to about the time that Jobs went on 6 month medical leave.

Now there is only one news source for this information about Jobs having a liver transplant so we have to realize this information could be incorrect. If it is incorrect I will have a very low opinion of the Wall Street Journal.

If on the other hand the information is correct what is the point of Apple keeping it secret? Somebody somewhere, a nurse, doctor or whoever, will leak the information. It seems more logical to me to release the information. If it is true do they expect to keep this information secret forever? What are the chances of that happening?

There have been rumors about Jobs needing to get a liver transplant and about him relocating from California to another state. These rumors have been on the internet for a while. The only other thing I heard is that it is possible that the donor was Chinese.

At any rate we will eventually know what happened. It is just a matter of time.

These rumors have been on the internet for a while. The only other thing I heard is that it is possible that the donor was Chinese.

Do you expect lead or melamine?

The only other thing I heard is that it is possible that the donor was Chinese.

Sounds like the Dean Koontz book oilBabe and I just listened to as a book on tape during our vacation drives last week.

Mori will defend Jobs and Apple forever.

You have already posted more about both, Apple and Jobs, then I ever have or ever will. Apple is your favorite topic, not mine. Feel free to reply with another repetitive 500 word essay repost.
LOL.gif

Just a correction-I think the waiting list for liver transplants in Tennessee is 48 days-not 58 days.

Also, this information about the possible liver transplant is starting to appear from other news sources. Soon we will know the truth. Either it happened, or it did not.

Mori, if Apple does something good, I will praise them. Just like I will praise Microsoft if they do something good. I am impartial. It is all just technology. 50 years from now both Apple and Microsoft may be gone. Who knows?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back