Little traffic irritations

Status
Not open for further replies.
Quote:
Another baffling pattern is tailgaters in residential areas. I am very careful in such areas, since I really don't want to run anyone over. And if, God forbid, the unthinkable happens, someone darts into the street and I can't avoid them, I want the police to be able to determine that I was not driving overly fast, and that I was in fact doing everything possible to be safe. So I'm driving at the posted speed limit, or if none is posted, usually 25 mph. Often, I see someone blasting up behind me, and then they ride my bumper. This usually doesn't last long, as they turn into their driveway. And I'm left wondering why anyone would want to drive like that in their own neighborhood?

I had that recently, going 30 in a 25 and I get this idiot right up my bumper flashing his lights. Geez, I am already speeding, idiot!

John

I hate when I'm sitting in traffic and see some guy behind me get out of his lane, drive on the on-ramp, and pretend he's one of the people just merging on the highway. Just so he can get 8 car lengths further than he was.

Even worse: when people drive in the exit only lane right up until the actual exit, and try to merge back over to the travel lane at the last second. Either they're too stupid to read the 6 (six!) signs that CLEARLY say "exit only," or they're inconsiderate douche bags who did see the signs but decided to use the lane to cut ahead of everyone anyway.

Speaking of people who can't read signs: I hate when people go right on red when there's clearly a "no turn on red" sign.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
Originally Posted By: SteveSRT8
You simply must lose the emotional responses, it is hard but your blood pressure will thank you!

Highest wisdom-to-word count ratio I've seen on BITOG in quite some time.
thumbsup2.gif

cheers3.gif

Even with all city driving I can average at or above the combined EPA rating. I'll never understand those who speed all the way up to a red light and then inch forward from the solid white line into the cross walk, when the opposite-way green light is clearly visible.

The same goes for those who speed up to me and ride my butt as I coast downhill to the red light (again, opposite light visible at that angle.) The lane splits 50 yards before the light, and I've been passed by those who speed past me as it splits and then brake hard at the light...right next to me. I look over and there's no look of shame or embarrassment, so I can only assume that's how they normally operate.

The most dangerous people I see every single week while driving to and from work are those who slow down behind some one pulling into the Cumberland Farms (sharp, relatively steep entrance into a busy gas station/quickie mart) and then pass the double yellow fully last minute when they lose patience. How in the heck do you not see the freaking person coming the opposite way - you're lucky HE/SHE was paying attention???

Last edited:
I sometimes drive home between midnight and 4AM and often the freeway is almost completely clear of cars save one or two. I cruse along at about 60mph. Several times this past month another car would merge onto the freeway and get right behind me and stay there, really close. And this at a time when there are two other lanes and no other cars in sight. This morning I slowed down very gradually just letting off the gas and the car stayed right on my tail, so close I could not see the head lights. The car stayed right on me until I got to 25mph and then flashed me and honked, but stayed right there. I took the next ramp and the car kept going. This really creeped me out.

I expect every driver on the road to do something ignorant, and I'm pleasantly surprised when they don't.

Originally Posted By: exranger06
I hate when I'm sitting in traffic and see some guy behind me get out of his lane, drive on the on-ramp, and pretend he's one of the people just merging on the highway. Just so he can get 8 car lengths further than he was.

Even worse: when people drive in the exit only lane right up until the actual exit, and try to merge back over to the travel lane at the last second. Either they're too stupid to read the 6 (six!) signs that CLEARLY say "exit only," or they're inconsiderate douche bags who did see the signs but decided to use the lane to cut ahead of everyone anyway.

I see this daily, especially in the mix lanes where a lane is the onramp merge lane as well as the exit lane. It used to really tick me off, and still will occasionally, but I've decided it's something I can't control and won't change their minds, so it's not worth getting my blood boiling over someone I'll likely never encounter again.

Originally Posted By: whip
I expect every driver on the road to do something ignorant, and I'm pleasantly surprised when they don't.

Replace the word "ignorant" with stupid, inconsiderate, selfish, or idiotic and this matches my sentiment 100%. In Texas I have noticed a tendency for the driving skills to deteriorate as one travels farther South in the state. I'm not saying they are good here, but they get worse as you travel down toward the border. Perhaps it is just my perception.

Originally Posted By: DBMaster
Originally Posted By: whip

Replace the word "ignorant" with stupid, inconsiderate, selfish, or idiotic

They can be both.
laugh.gif

In my state it's legal to run a 50cc motorized bicycle down the shoulder or even in traffic, if you can keep up. No registration/ insurance/ helmet/ lights required.

There's a sizeable percentage of stupid drivers ignorant of this law, who think it's their duty to honk, cut me off, or take other actions disrespectful of a human being.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back