Little girl with no shoes.

Status
Not open for further replies.
So, as some of you guys know, I am now the official property chairman at my Church. I've been doing a lot of catching up over there as the previous property chairman became ill and wasn't able to do anything for the last six months of his tenure.

I've been cutting grass, trimming bushes, washing windows, painting, etc. Some children from the neighborhood ride their bikes in our parking lot. No problem. Around and around they go and they've kinda become my buddies as they stop and chat and I'll fix their bikes.

I noticed one little girl of about 10 never wears shoes. At first, I didn't think anything of it as I rarely wore shoes when I was a wee lad. I was washing windows today when this little girl rode up on her bike. I asked her why she didn't wear shoes. She told me she didn't have any.

"Really?," says I, "You don't have a single pair of shoes?

"No," she says, "but Mommy says one of these days we're going to get some at the Goodwill store."

By nature, I am a pack rat. I knew that somewhere in my garage I had a pair of shoes that were practically brand new that my daughter had rarely worn. I put them away years ago thinking that maybe, someday, someone might need them.

I came home, found the shoes, took them back to Church and gave them to the little girl, (she was still riding her bike in the parking lot, which I might add is an old beat up bike that is on it's last legs).

I'm not looking for kudos or pats on the back, it just simply amazed me that in the United States, there are still people so poor that they can't afford to buy their children shoes.

Some people shouldn't be allowed to have children or take care of children. There's no reason people can't get enough food or have a few dollars to get a pair of shoes. This is America, there's government funds and nonprofit charities out there set up to help, if kids are going without food or essential items, it's because their parents are too stupid, lazy, or on drugs to go and get them help.

I can almost bet, shoes are not mommy's priority. Also, I'll bet mommy has cash to buy smokes or has an iPhone though.

Good of you, to do that. God bless.

Last edited:
That was really awesome and nice of you GreeCGuy
smile.gif

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
shoes are not mommy's priority. I'll bet mommy has cash to buy smokes or has an iPhone though....

And cable tv and a car with 22" rims and wears gucci sunglasses

^This unfortunately... I see it everyday... really wears on you.

GreeC hopefully your act of kindness will enlighten the little girl as to how much of a piece of work her mother really is.

Last edited:
I can almost bet, shoes are not mommy's priority. Also, I'll bet mommy has cash to buy smokes or has an iPhone though.

A lot of the so called "poor" have iPhones, nice tvs...etc.
yes, I'm sure if she wanted...she could have bought her doughtier several pairs of shoes!

Last edited:
Nice job....

I lived in Hawaii and never wore shoes except for first communion etc. But that was the thing to do in the 60s-early 70s.

My first thought was also that her mom had other things that she felt were more important. If getting shoes for the girl was important wouldn't a charity help out in that regard?

The kid's parents are irrelevant. The kid is a victim regardless, only thanks to GreeCguy she's a little less of a victim than she used to be.

Period.

Stop trying to turn a good story about a good deed into your own personal excuse to poop bricks.

and tattoos

Good on you, GreeCguy.

There are some pretty [censored] parents out there these days. My wife and I are foster parents and have seen it firsthand. The parents we have dealt with are given very basic requirements by the state to regain/maintain custody of their children (stay clean, get a steady source of income, and maintain stable housing). Invariably, they fail. It's sad.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: GreeCguy
So, as some of you guys know, I am now the official property chairman at my Church. I've been doing a lot of catching up over there as the previous property chairman became ill and wasn't able to do anything for the last six months of his tenure.

I've been cutting grass, trimming bushes, washing windows, painting, etc. Some children from the neighborhood ride their bikes in our parking lot. No problem. Around and around they go and they've kinda become my buddies as they stop and chat and I'll fix their bikes.

I noticed one little girl of about 10 never wears shoes. At first, I didn't think anything of it as I rarely wore shoes when I was a wee lad. I was washing windows today when this little girl rode up on her bike. I asked her why she didn't wear shoes. She told me she didn't have any.

"Really?," says I, "You don't have a single pair of shoes?

"No," she says, "but Mommy says one of these days we're going to get some at the Goodwill store."

By nature, I am a pack rat. I knew that somewhere in my garage I had a pair of shoes that were practically brand new that my daughter had rarely worn. I put them away years ago thinking that maybe, someday, someone might need them.

I came home, found the shoes, took them back to Church and gave them to the little girl, (she was still riding her bike in the parking lot, which I might add is an old beat up bike that is on it's last legs).

I'm not looking for kudos or pats on the back, it just simply amazed me that in the United States, there are still people so poor that they can't afford to buy their children shoes.

Your behavior is so rare these days. Well done!

GOD Bless you GreeGuy. Observing your actions I believe he has.

GOD Bless the ones that are condemning this child's Mother. I believe you need it the most.

Nice of you to do that. Unfortunately I have seen enough of the population at large to agree with the observations of others in this thread.

Originally Posted By: d00df00d
The kid's parents are irrelevant. The kid is a victim regardless, only thanks to GreeCguy she's a little less of a victim than she used to be.

Period.

Stop trying to turn a good story about a good deed into your own personal excuse to poop bricks.

Agreed.

It's not about the story...it's abut the person.

Kudos to you sir!

We do not know the mother's circumstances.

It's curious how things often work out.
Those shoes were meant for that little girl.

Good job on delivering them.
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: JHZR2
Nice of you to do that. Unfortunately I have seen enough of the population at large to agree with the observations of others in this thread.

Me too, especially living where I do. Nice job Gree.

Here in the United States, we are so affluent, we throw out every form of product, well prior to it being used up. It's inexcusable that mama could not find her daughter a good pair of shoes. All she needs to do is ASK.

My parents acted similarly. I grew up in rural CT, froze every winter, because I did not have a jacket. Looking back, I now understand what happened. And, it was 100% the fault of my parents.

As I grew, I learned that I could ask people for what I needed. A friends mom gave me a jacket from NASA !!!! It was the "real deal", worn by some astronaut in the 1960's. And it was wonderful.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back