Lithium Jump Pack De-constructed - BigClive

Status
Not open for further replies.
I used mine, a half-charged, small-capacity unit, and successfully jumped my Dad's 3.3 V6 minivan. Having never used one or have seen anyone else use one, I had my doubts but color me impressed. These things work and are VERY handy.

I'm surprised they don't have over current protection and would blew the battery inside. I'm not keeping that thing around in my car.

Amazing, same batteries that power my RC airplanes. Would have never thought they could jump a car. We have a 1000a one at the shop, no name from amazon, just as our own test, and it has no problem with V8 BMWs or their 6s.

I top of the charge on mine every 3 months. It lives in the trunk of my car. Never used it but it's nice to have. Can also serve as a flashlight, warning light, and USB charger.

very few of these things are good for more than a slight assist.
the one in the video is very common being rebadged for dozens of brands.
a neighbor bought one to keep in his v8 chevy pickup.
he asked me how to test it to be sure it will work when it is needed.
disconnect the battery and substitute the jump pack.
it gave about 2 very slow turns then popped open and smoked.
repeated the test with my jump pack which has heavy copper cables and clamps and a 17ah high rate ups battery from enersys.
truck started like it does on its nearly new battery.
if the jump pack cannot start the vehicle you got it for without a battery expect to be stranded if your battery has failed rather than been discharged!

Although lithium ion batteries have great energy density, they also degrade the fastest when left fully charged. I would suspect that this pack loses a lot of its potency after just a few years unless the user knows to store it at 40-60% charge. Which is kind of inconvenient for this application.

I just bought the GB70 model to give my '06 TDI the extra it needs to start at -30 to -40C. It will turn over the completely cold engine with enough speed to get it to start after a few attempts have built up enough heat in the cylinders to get it to run on its own (probably a good 30 or 40 seconds of cranking over a minute or two). The stock lead acid will only do it if it's been on a proper battery charger overnight (not the NOCO maintenance charger I got to keep the snowmobile battery happy which doesn't seem to give as full a charge).

So far so good but it's only been a week so how long it lasts is a big question.

Originally Posted by nobb
Although lithium ion batteries have great energy density, they also degrade the fastest when left fully charged. I would suspect that this pack loses a lot of its potency after just a few years unless the user knows to store it at 40-60% charge. Which is kind of inconvenient for this application.

Yeah being a cheap Chinese one that I have you are right. With other better branded stuff they will actually oversize the battery and then purposely undercharge it to extend its life for this reason.

Last edited:
StevieC, I'm going to have to ask you to stop hacking my YouTube account and sharing all the videos I subscribe too. Bigclive, Linus, Project Farm...

Originally Posted by Skippy722
StevieC, I'm going to have to ask you to stop hacking my YouTube account and sharing all the videos I subscribe too. Bigclive, Linus, Project Farm...

lol.gif

I'd design it with an oversized battery and set charger to fill only to 60% (4.0V per cell).

Last edited:
Originally Posted by circuitsmith

I'd design it with an oversized battery and set charger to fill only to 60% (4.0V per cell).

The battery would likely last >10 years with such a design! But the average consumer wouldn't understand, as they would see a product that''s larger, more expensive, or has less impressive specs as compared to a competitor.

This is one of my pet peeves with modern electronics design. Batteries CAN last so much longer, but manufacturers choose not to because the consumer simply doesn't care. I would love my phone & laptop to have a maximum charge limit feature.

I think it has to do with costs... You can get other battery technologies like Lithium batteries for vehicles that do last longer but they are expensive. Sometimes these are used in Marine applications and Golf Carts but they are made for vehicles as well if you have deep pockets.

You can also get manufacturers like Odyssey that uses virgin lead in their flooded cell and AGM batteries and excellent construction and they last a really long time as well but they are gangster expensive.

The battery would likely last >10 years with such a design! But the average consumer wouldn't understand, as they would see a product that''s larger, more expensive, or has less impressive specs as compared to a competitor.

Just stick a Mercedes logo on it and they'd shell out the $$ and feel quite smug afterward.

Originally Posted by circuitsmith

Just stick a Mercedes logo on it and they'd shell out the $$ and feel quite smug afterward.

lol.gif

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back