Lite white haze on red car

Status
Not open for further replies.
Been using Duragloss 101 and 111 on my 96 Camry for 10 years. Always been impressed with its shine and durability. Last fall I noticed a lite white haze on the hood, roof and trunk but NOT on the sides. Neither the 101 or 111 removed it. I don't want to sand or use polishing compound for fear of hurting the clear coat.

I'am wondering if Nu-Finish would remove the haze. Any suggestions to tackle this problem.

Thanks for knowledgeable Gents.

True red cars are the most susceptible to chalking. As I understand, the only option is to have the car repainted. I believe that red is the most expensive color to have a car painted.

That is my understanding and I just bought a new red Golf.

Go figure.

I'd try the Duragloss Swirl Remover. The polishing agents are a little stronger than the #101. Plus it contains a sealant for some protection.

Try Meguiars Ultimate Compound from your local discount store. If that does not fix it, then you have impending clear coat failure. I will be very disappointed if 10 years of using DG product still lead to this problems.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Most red and white colored cars don't even have a clearcoat.

What? Every one I have seen does, Including my white tahoe and red camaro.

Without a picture it is difficult to access whether you have clearcoat failure or possibly oxidation. Clear coat failure has nothing to do with wax or sealants, ie, there is nothing you can do to stop it. It is a manufacturing defect. Oxidation can be removed however. AIO products like Duragloss 501 and NuFinish can lessen it and, possibly remove it. It is much easier to remove oxidation if you use a dedicated compound or polish. I also would recommend Meg Ultimate Compound.

Last edited:
Would a manufacturing defect manifest itself after 17 years? Especially if the last 10 years it was treated with wax/sealant?

Originally Posted By: Vikas
Would a manufacturing defect manifest itself after 17 years? Especially if the last 10 years it was treated with wax/sealant?

It should have shone itself long ago. Never seen well cared for paint fail 17 years later.

Originally Posted By: satinsilver
Most red and white colored cars don't even have a clearcoat.

I wouldn't say most but many.
That is correct for a '96 Toyota. It is single stage paint. Even more modern Toyotas in standard white and some red are single stage paint. Do a test spot with Meguiar's Ultimate Compound by hand. If it works there's your answer, if not then it's repaint time. The applicator will be red from removing the oxidized paint.

Not too long ago I machine polished a 2003 white Corolla, it was single stage paint.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back