Listing of OCI in * MILES * for various cars

Status
Not open for further replies.
Check out this page for an interesting list of mileage OCIs for various makes and models.

http://www.3000mileMyth.org/fulllisting.html

The web site is called 3000 Mile Myth . org.

The web site shows the manual for the Chrysler 300 recommends a 3,000-mile OCI. That doesn't fill me with confidence about the Chrysler 300's engine.

The manual for the 2003 Volkswagen Jetta called for a 5,000 mile OCI (oil change interval), but for the more recent '07 Jetta, the manual says 3,750 miles. [Gulp.] What happened there?

The '07 Hyundai Sonata has a 3,000 mile OCI.

The 2007 Nissan Altima is only 3,750 miles.

Thankfully, the '07 Toyota Camry and '07 Ford Mustang indicate 5,000-mile OCIs.

The Chevy Cobalt went from a recommended 3,000-mile OCI in 2006 to a recommended 7,500-mile OCI in 2007! In one year, the manual more than doubled the OCI. Wonder what the story is there.

The '06 Chevrolet Impala is 7,500 miles.

Not sure where their info comes from. 07 Jetta should be 10k after break-in per the manufacturer.

Chrysler had some sludging problems with several of there engines. They back tracked quickly on their recommendation. My turbo Mazda suggests 5,000 & 7,500 OCI. I had a UOA done after break-in and all was good enough at 6,000 to try 7,500 and this a relatively high performance turbo engine. I'm sure others with UOA data will chime in here.

Last edited:
Don't those GM vehicles have the OLM?

For comparison, both my '99 and '07 Subaru Outbacks (2.5l NA) call for 7,500 miles under normal conditions and 3,750 miles under sever conditions.

The Pontiac Montana has the OLM, the range has been 6,500 to 7,300 miles.

What's the point? Big headline to grab attention, but there are too many "3,000"'s to say in big, bold letters that 3k is a myth.

3k may not be necessary now with engine and oil technology, but I've read here several times that not following manufacturer recommendations can flush your warranty, thus giving the owner no choice.

The real fight now, in my opinion, is convincing manufacturers to lengthen OCI's...not convince those 'in the know' or on this board that 3k is too soon.

FWIW: My '06 Santa Fe calls for 3500 Mile OCI's
21.gif

Originally Posted By: StevieC
FWIW: My '06 Santa Fe calls for 3500 Mile OCI's
21.gif

I guess if you're doing 15,000 kilometer (or 9,000 mile) OCIs with Amsoil when your manual calls for 3,500 mile OCIs, then I won't worry about doing a 6,000 or 7,000 mile OCI with RLI BioSyn, even though my manual calls for 5,000 mile OCIs.

I've also never gone longer than 7 months with an OCI. But I guess I'll be going 8 or 9 months with this one. Kind of makes me feel uncomfortable, but I'll get used to it.

You will be fine...

I have some RLI that I'm going to try for the second time and push it out to 10K KM (6K Miles) for this run and do a UOA, then if it comes back good I will try it for 15K KM (9K Miles).

EAO filter of course... Can't beat 'em IMO!

grin2.gif

When in doubt;Change it out. Looks like 6 mo. Fall and Spring ocis would work well for you.

The 3000 mile web site is a little wobbly. On the site's page I linked to, some cars that are listed at 7,500 mile OCIs will, instead, show up on the site's homepage as check the OLM (oil life monitor). On their homepage is a box with drop-down menus in which you can select year, make, and model.

Last edited:
That website says the OCI for the 2003 Malibu is 3,000 miles, but that's not what the owner's manual says. I believe it said somewhere between 5,000-7,500 miles. I'll double check later tonight but I know it wasn't 3,000.

Originally Posted By: Built_Well

The Chevy Cobalt went from a recommended 3,000-mile OCI in 2006 to a recommended 7,500-mile OCI in 2007! In one year, the manual more than doubled the OCI. Wonder what the story is there.

Originally Posted By: Ron917
Don't those GM vehicles have the OLM?
Originally Posted By: KW

My 06 Cobalt just says to follow the OLM which with the driving my wife does is about every 8K.

Exactly; my Cobalt manual says to follow the OLM but in the event its ever accidently reset don't go beyond 3000 miles since the previous change. Looks like the website extracted that "3000" reference and used it to appear like the manual specifies 3000 in all situations, which it doesn't.

My Cobalt takes between 9000 and 10,000 to run the OLM down to near-zero.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back