Listeroid diesel generator, I want a catalytic converter

I have 2 low speed listeroid diesels. They are old-school diesel engines that are very efficient, quiet and reliable. The small one is 8HP and the larger is 20HP. Unfortunately, I despise the smell of diesel exhaust. I've asked this question on the Lister forums and most responses simply say to route the exhaust up and away. Since the smaller unit is portable (kind of) I don't want a 20 foot tall exhaust pipe.

What I would like to do is try a real catalytic converter. As I understand it, a properly made diesel oxidation catalytic converter will light off at a far lower temperature than one designed for a gas engine. That would be good, as the ex gas temp is generally low during start up and normal use.

I've looked on Amazon and Ebay without good results. While universal diesel cats used to be available, it seems they've all been discontinued. I started thinking about the metal core cats, but I don't think they light off fast.

Thoughts?

This is the exact engine with my late friend Bob narrating.

My thought is more towards the DIY side of things and scavenge a DOC/DPF off a school/transit bus or motorcoach spec Cummins or Detroit S50/60 and use the innards of that to make a DOC/DPF. Maybe one off a wrecked pre-Bluetec Mercedes CDI or a VW TDI can work. But the challenge is getting the substrate out and securing into that makeshift muffler you make.

Else, besides rigging up a cat from a small gas engine(Prius/Yaris/Fit/Metro/Accent/Rio) running a alternate fuel such as biodiesel or “renewable” diesel might be the better way to mitigate exhaust fumes without exhaust system modification. The new renewable diesel P66 and Marathon is pushing is made from slaughterhouse waste and waste cooking fats but it’s close to petroleum diesel than biodiesel and it’s a almost 100% drop-in replacement.

I believe what you are looking for is a diesel scrubber, they make small ones. Give one of these places a call.

The single cylinder engine displaces 1.43L and the twin 3.16L.

The exhaust pulse is pretty strong, even though the flow rate is fairly low. The engine uses a 2" conventional car muffler.

Antique 2-way cats designed for 70’s era cars should work ok and are extremely cheap if you can find one. Certain year VW diesels had a 2-way CAT instead of proper diesel emissions

My fathers 100ton mining rig just ran the exhaust through a 55 gallon drum of tap water, said it worked great in the enclosed space

The trouble these have is that nobody wants to sell you one, lots of red tape wanting to know what you are installing them too.

Used to be you go to a muffler shop give the pipe diameter and walk away with a cat.

Otherwise try to buy a generic aftermarket 3-way, it will wear out faster but at least is easier to source, pretty pricey without a core

Antique 2-way cats designed for 70’s era cars should work ok and are extremely cheap if you can find one. Certain year VW diesels had a 2-way CAT instead of proper diesel emissions

My fathers 100ton mining rig just ran the exhaust through a 55 gallon drum of tap water, said it worked great in the enclosed space

The trouble these have is that nobody wants to sell you one, lots of red tape wanting to know what you are installing them too.

Used to be you go to a muffler shop give the pipe diameter and walk away with a cat.

Otherwise try to buy a generic aftermarket 3-way, it will wear out faster but at least is easier to source, pretty pricey without a core
Maybe this? I think almost anything is available at aliexpress or if you go to alibaba directly. I've never been sold the wrong thing so far but you have know what you're ordering.

Last edited:
Do the diesel cats need heat to work, or will they heat up enough if you avoid a too large one? I know gas cats need to keep the hydrocarbons up a bit so that the cat stays hot from doing work.

Do the diesel cats need heat to work, or will they heat up enough if you avoid a too large one? I know gas cats need to keep the hydrocarbons up a bit so that the cat stays hot from doing work.
I'm no expert, but as I understand it, diesel cats are designed to light off at much lower temperatures than gas engine cats. They also have to be robust to tolerate the strong exhaust pulses. Cheap ebay cats with ceramic internals tend to come apart. I don't want that risk.

You'd think I could find one locally, but nobody is selling a used diesel cat anywhere .

These little Listeroid generator sets are really good. They are very efficient and quiet. And, they hold a unique place in the generator world, a genset that has only a 6HP engine. This one is cranked up a bit, in reality, the HP is directly related to RPM on these, so at 735RPM, it really is only a 7.3HP setup. The 6/1 engine it's based on makes 6HP at 600 RPM. Anyway, it's not easy to find a 240V 7HP diesel genset. Most are considerably larger and burn a lot more fuel when powering modest loads. Under very low loads (such as running a fridge/freezer combo), this burns a pint per hour.

Last edited:
Back in the '70's I worked for a hire company...largest in NZ, still is. There were a few Lister powered things, and some single cyl generators - supplied with a chain on hire so you could chain them to a fence post and not vibrate away. Being a cack hander I found them hard to start - I had to change hands to drop the valve lifter, and my right arm didn't have the power to keep it spinning fast enough.

One day I was given a conrod and was told it was for the 3 cyl Lister in the storeroom...I went in and found it was completely apart ! I found some parts around the back of the building, and when finally up and running found the starter at another branch. I had never worked on a Lister before, we had no specs, so used what we had for the singles and twins...I had to make some ducting parts. If you have worked on Listers you will know about shimming for compression ratio and injector timing. My new rod was shorter than the others. Got it up and running, even painted it. I found the 3 cyl easier to start by hand than the singles.

Back