Lister CS diesel synthetic oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I have a number of Listeroid (India's copies of Lister CS engine) engines. I use them for generating electrical power.

They require 30W oil. From what I can tell, they are capable of lasting a long time if set up right.

Some Listeroid users have switched to multigrade diesel oil. I know of Two of these multigrade users which have experienced (it's non pressurized) connecting rod bearing failures. Not sure if the oil is at all to blame.

One recent bearing failure looks ultra weird. Like metal was cleanly and perfectly smoothly removed from small kidney bean shaped areas on the top bearing shell only. The failed bearing was not worn out or otherwise typical in failure.

I wonder if the mulitgrade oil is a problem?

I also wonder if there is a synthetic 30W diesel oil that would be a good choice?

Chris

quote:

Originally posted by Cujet:
I have a number of Listeroid (India's copies of Lister CS engine) engines.

To quote a Montey Python character "You lucky lucky barstard".

I'd love one.

I'd guess Amsoil's straight 30 (multigrade without VIIs) would be good.

well FWIW, I used to look after a few Lister diesels that drove spray equipment and they got the same 15W-40 that all the farm diesels got......
dunno.gif

George Breckenridge, of utterpower.com, runs multigrades in his Lister-types. He doesn't seem to have any problems related to oil with them. Looks like poor quality bearing material caused this failure.
As for synthetic 30W oil, try Amsoil's ACD, or one of Schaeffer's straight-grades.

looks like cavitation erosoion.
I've had that happen when switching from a 10W-40 to 0W-5 race oil using Vandervell bearings in a Ford 1600 Cross Flow. The fix in my case was to tighten up the bearing clearances appreciably.

Or it's a crappy bearing material that is delaminating.

I agree.

I'm suprised that there's no grooving to ensure that central area is filled during the exhaust/intake transition. (the bearing is doing it's darndest to put a groove there).

quote:

Originally posted by tdi-rick:
looks like cavitation erosoion.
I've had that happen when switching from a 10W-40 to 0W-5 race oil using Vandervell bearings in a Ford 1600 Cross Flow. The fix in my case was to tighten up the bearing clearances appreciably.

Or it's a ****** bearing material that is delaminating.

DING DING DING!!! ****** bearing material, you win the prize.

poor quality bearing material design for a long stroke diesel....these engines put a high shock load on the bearings at detonation time...this picture is of the top crank bearing which takes the majority of the detonation load...need harder bearing surface material with better bonding...
custom machine shop job....

see same bearing damage effect in high performance gas engines with preignition knock

use a high moly oil such as Redline or add a moly additive....need at least 500 ppm moly in this app....use a PAO or ester based oil to take the shock loads and reduce shearing

http://www.schaefferoil.com/specialty/132.html
use 1 qt of #132 Moly per 5qt HDEO

[ September 15, 2006, 06:27 AM: Message edited by: Steelhead ]

Mis alignment, bad bearing material, acid or my favorite de-lamination of bearing overlay due to micro cracking and resulting spalling due to debris in oil.

IMHO not "cavitation erosoion".

bruce

I have not yet fully broken in the engine, it takes about 500 hours. When I make it to 500, I plan on switching to syn.

I noticed that Mobil 1 15-50 is now available at costco. This is the new formulation and is CF rated. I suspect that it would be sufficient viscosity and have high enough additive levels to function properly. I also use a bypass filter.

By the way, the oil/crankcase temp is fairly low. My IR thermometer reads about 160F max on the crankcase door. I suspect this is the oil temp.

What do you guys think?

Chris

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back