List of oil filters with 99% efficiency at 20 microns.

Hi,

I've been going through this filtration forum, trying to compile a list of oil filters that are rated at 99% Efficiency @ 20 microns.
Would anyone be able to supply a list, and maybe add a column on each row for whether the filter has synthetic media (as that should imply fast flow).
It would be very helpful to everyone on this forum.

FYI - I'm currently using Fram Ultra 99%+ Efficiency @ 20 microns with synthetic media for fast flow.
But am looking for alternatives.

Hi,

I've been going through this filtration forum, trying to compile a list of oil filters that are rated at 99% Efficiency @ 20 microns.
Would anyone be able to supply a list, and maybe add a column on each row for whether the filter has synthetic media (as that should imply fast flow).

FYI - I'm currently using Fram Ultra 99%+ Efficiency @ 20 microns with synthetic media for fast flow.
Only the OG Ultra has FULL synthetic media, the new Ultra is synthetic sprayed on a synthetic blend base media. But, here goes-
AFAIK, 99% @ 20 micron-
Purolator One (blend)
Fram Ultra (both the full syn OG & the super blend mentioned above)
Fram Tough Guard (blend)
Fram Extra Guard (blend)
Royal Purple (full synthetic)
Donaldson Blue (full synthetic)
Fleetguard Stratapore & Stratapore Venturi (full syn)
Amsoil EaO (full synthetic)
Champ XL/Luberfiner XL/K&N/AC Delco UPF (all blends)
Full synthetic Mann made "rock catchers" less than 99% @ 30-
Wix XP
NAPA Platinum
Purolator Boss (FKA Purolator Synthetic)
And always remember, "The best oil filter is the air filter"!

To my knowledge, the following oil filters have tested at or above 99% at 20 microns (*or claim to be without any evidence proving otherwise)

Fram Ultra & Tough Guard, AC Delco Ultraguard Gold, Royal Purple, Purolator One, Amsoil Ea,

Purolator Boss, Wix XP/Napa Platinum are closer to ~62% at 20 microns.

Wix/Napa Gold, Champ Labs (and supertech), K&N filters with the welded nut, and Mobil 1 EP oil filters are ~95% at 20 microns

Honorable mention: Microguard Selects are 99% at 25 microns

Only the OG Ultra has FULL synthetic media, the new Ultra is synthetic sprayed on a synthetic blend base media. But, here goes-
AFAIK, 99% @ 20 micron-
Purolator One (blend)
Fram Tough Guard (blend)
Fram Extra Guard (blend)
Wix XP
NAPA Platinum
Better check on that- looks like even Royal Purple cheapened up!! No longer 99%@20; it’s now a 99%@25u (at best, clearly some are worse by their own wording) filter.

Attachments

• C586BA15-FF24-4B20-B50F-8AFDC70EBBC8.jpeg
    C586BA15-FF24-4B20-B50F-8AFDC70EBBC8.jpeg
    150.1 KB · Views: 204
AFAIK, 99% @ 20 micron-
Purolator One (blend)
Fram Tough Guard (blend)
Fram Extra Guard (blend)
Wix XP
NAPA Platinum
Puro Boss is 99%+ @ 25microns:

• SmartFUSION™ Full Synthetic Media providing maximum engine protection for up to 20,000 miles with over 99% Dirt Removal Power™*
*Based on ISO 4548-12 at 25 microns on PBL30001

The engine will out last the ownership of the vehicle despite the filtration levels the marketing tells you.
You’ve obviously never driven behind an older Chrysler product.

The filtration had nothing to do with those engines not lasting. You could have had 2u bypass filtration and those engines would still burn a quart per 500 miles 😂

The most important thing about an oil filter is that it doesn't fail. The engine will out last the ownership of the vehicle despite the filtration levels the marketing tells you.
But it's beneficial to choose an oil filter with 99% filtration at 20 microns with synthetic media for fast flow, and then use that in all your vehicles.
Why be mediocre when you can be superb.

AFAIK, 99% @ 20 micron-
Purolator One (blend)
Fram Tough Guard (blend)
Fram Extra Guard (blend)
Wix XP
NAPA Platinum
Thanks for the list. Might need to filter some of them - some might have been cheapened to less efficiency. Will research them. Thanks.

At least on paper, is the Fram Ultra XG7317 (Fit's Hondas) still the highest efficiency/high flow oil filter available?
Or, are there better filters out there with same or better efficiency and still high flow?

I've read about the wavy filter seams on used Fram Ultra's that were cut open after 12,000 miles.
Would anyone know if the "wavyness" instead of straight seams affect filtration efficiency?

Hi,

There is no such thing as "fast flow" when it comes to oil filters. Engines use a positive displacement oil pump for a reason. The oil flow volume that leaves the pump goes through the oil filter and engine. Oil filters are a very small resistance in an engine oiling system - typically around 1/15th the total flow resistance. An engine oiling system is not like the water system in you house where a more resistive filter gives "less/slower flow".

AFAIK, 99% @ 20 micron-
Purolator One (blend)
Fram Tough Guard (blend)
Fram Extra Guard (blend)
Wix XP
NAPA Platinum
Literally the first response post, and there's at least a few errors:
The Fram EG is 95% at 20um, not 99% ...
Wix XP is nowhere near 99% at 20um ...
Puro Boss is 99% at 25um ...
and others ...

The danger in a list like this is that unless someone is willing to take responsibility for it's upkeep, it won't be accurate as the filter makers alter their products. And, as we can see above, there are already errors in the attempts of well-meaning members. I, for one, see little value in a list like this.

If one wants to know what the efficiency is, how hard is it to look at a filter makers website?

AFAIK, 99% @ 20 micron-
Purolator One (blend)
Fram Tough Guard (blend)
Fram Extra Guard (blend)
As soon as I saw this I got excited, thinking I missed the announcement when FRAM EG went 99% at 20um at a bargain price. Then I realized this was an error. FRAM EG oil filters are 95% at 20um.

You’ve obviously never driven behind an older Chrysler product.
The filtration had nothing to do with those engines not lasting. You could have had 2u bypass filtration and those engines would still burn a quart per 500 miles 😂

The only Chrysler products I recall burning oil were the early 90s minivans with the Mitsubishi engine. And those have long disappeared from the roads around here. Probably has been 20 years or more since I've seen one.

The only Chrysler products I recall burning oil were the early 90s minivans with the Mitsubishi engine. And those have long disappeared from the roads around here. Probably has been 20 years or more since I've seen one.
If only those people who bought Chrysler minivans from the early 90's had bought Toyota Previa's instead, the vehicles would still be on the road.

5 years ago is better than 20 years ago for the Chrysler early 90's era minivans

Quality cars are produced by companies who place importance on "Quality Assurance" (testing and re-testing and re-testing all the designs and parts, etc to find the bugs before production starts). That mentality is abscent from some Auto makers.

Back