List of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealers to be closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
The dealers in Muskegon,Mi area got lucky,were not on this list of dealers to close.The dealership in Grand Haven was saved too and was not on the list.

Originally Posted By: jmac
That dealer made local news the night of the day the closure list was announced. Seems Chrysler/Dodge actually approached them to carry the brand and open the dealership. No details of the business arrangement but the Kent's claim to have invested millions on their end. They say they will be joining others in bringing civil suit. Plus even up to now they have been profitable. Some speculation that they are included in the list because they only carried the Dodge line and not Chrysler/Jeep as well.

That stinks if true. Great claim facts, but probably zero recovery. Bankruptcy allows Chrysler to pull this stuff and not suffer unless an adversary action is permitted . . . highly unlikely with the political element of this filing, as secured creditors have already been tossed under the bus.

Quite a few Saturn and Pontiac dealers are probably feeling the same way. Saturn dealers aren't that old, and most are modeled on the larger facility model with large investments.

Chrysler really hammered its dealers over the past decade. There were many old-time Chrysler/Plymouth franchises (the traditional pre-Jeep dealer model) that were crippled when the Germans murdered Plymouth (a great entry-level/recession brand - big mistake). Left as "one-points", they were ripe for later killing. That's what decades of loyalty to Chrysler got them.

In looking at these dealer closure discussions, both here and elsewhere, no one has put forth a sensible rationale for fewer dealers, or how it saves a manufacturer any meaningful money. Just because Toyota has fewer dealers isn't why they're more profitable. Mega dealers are only more profitable for those dealers.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Chrysler did send send a letter to one dealer in Lakeview,Mi.I did watch this on the local news last night.This dealer is going to take Chrysler to court,this dealership has 25 new vehicles on their lot and Chrysler will not buy them back.

LOL, somone should tell that dealer that Chrysler is in Chaper 11 and they have no claim. DOH!!!
43.gif

Originally Posted By: Volvohead
Chrysler and GM speak:

http://www.nytimes.com/2009/06/04/business/04dealers.html?hp

A lame defense if you ask me.

Quote:
The executives noted in their testimony that government entities, like the Treasury Department and federal bankruptcy courts, had urged them to make tough decisions about which dealerships to close and that those decisions were made as objectively as possible.

Sure...

According to the Las Vegas Review Journal, one local Dodge dealer that is losing it's franchise has to sell it's entire inventory by June 9th. Anything left over goes to auction. The article (not advertisement) claims they are selling cars for 30-40% off and trucks and SUVs for 40-50% off. Off of what isn't indicated, and I don't know if they are adding on bogus doc fees or other dealer packs after the discount.
As much as I personally dislike Dodge trucks, they have a couple of 2500 Quad Cab Cummings diesels with the manual 6-speed, and I do like that drive train....

I am surprised the dealership in Coopersvile,Mi was not put on the list and they are not doing very good.One salesperson said their sales have been down.Chrysler's transmissions hold up better than Ford and GM's and most say the 727 and 904 is a piece of junk.They are not and are the most simple,easy,cheapest to rebuild.The new automatic transmissions in the trucks replacing the 727 and 904 hold up using the ATF+4 fluid only.My father bought a 2006 Dodge dually with the 5.9 cummins with an automatic and likes it so far.He was talking to guys whom have the same year truck with the same engine getting 22 to 24 MPG for fuel mileage.It also goes and he had to go to Virginia to get it.There were none in area he was looking for.The 6.7 Cummins is low on horsepower,still goes and the fuel mileage is down too thanks to the federal government.Starting in 2007,smog equipment was put on including the duramax and the powerstroke.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back