List of Chrysler/Dodge/Jeep dealers to be closed

Status
Not open for further replies.
Originally Posted By: javacontour
So perhaps Chrysler will "buy back" any new inventory. The dealer would still be free to sell the used cars he has on-hand.

Chrysler said no to that..They said to the dealers you are on your own now.

too bad, they aren't closing up shop worldwide
LOL.gif

And how does this help Chrysler revive itself?

These are local businesses that typically finance their floor plans locally. They cost Chrysler little or nothing. They also employ local folks and give something back to the towns. The risk is borne by the franchise owners, who finance everything, right down to the toilet paper in the restrooms. If these little shops are willing to invest their money, take the risk, and can stay in business selling 300 cars a year, why should Chrysler care? That they're still willing to do it in 2009 . . . Chrysler should be kissing their feet.

The big dealer model is not an answer. Rather than emulate the current Japanese "big box" distribution model, perhaps Chrysler should focus on building quality product, which is the how the Japanese model actually succeeded in the '70s. A turd in a giant sales palace is still a turd.

It's a shame, as many of these smaller dealers are multi-generation family outfits in smaller towns that bust their butts on good service. That they managed to stay in business with some of the garbage Chrysler gave them over the past nine years is a miracle. It's the giant high volume dealers that poop on their customers. The small, family-owned dealer that tries harder was one of the few attractions they had left. At least the small dealer around here survived the massacre, and a lot of good people will still have jobs next week.

Rant over.

Ever since they started talking about closing dealers, I have wondered what expenses a manufacturer has in keeping a dealership. Eliminating dealers really strikes me as dumb.

It makes me wonder how this will shake out at the affected dealerships with regard to vehicle pricing. Will they mark their new stock down to fire-sale prices just to get it overwith, or will they attempt to maximize profits since it's their last opportunty to do so?

I'm tempted to go look at a Challenger SE and see what kinda numbers they throw at me.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry
It makes me wonder how this will shake out at the affected dealerships with regard to vehicle pricing. Will they mark their new stock down to fire-sale prices just to get it overwith, or will they attempt to maximize profits since it's their last opportunty to do so?

They may lower prices a little, but don't expect a fire sale price.

This is phase two, as Chrysler has been pushing out weaker dealers for months now. When some of the smallest "one-point" dealers were forced out earlier this year, unsold inventory was eventually sold to other surviving dealers.

They'll give up their profit in the end if need be, but they'll not take a sales loss on floor plan. They're already losing money on the financing to carry it.

Collateral damage...

Dealer Closures Rip At Fabric Of Communities

Quote:
Communities where the dealers have been fixtures, some for more than a half century, wondered how they will fill the holes that will be left when the businesses close.

Along a tree-lined street on Detroit's east side, Lochmoor Chrysler Jeep is as much part of the neighborhood as a local dry cleaner, law office and Biggby Coffee shop, said residents...

Like other Chrysler dealers, Lochmoor owner Gus Russo has woven his way into the fabric of the community.

When five children died in a local house fire, he paid for the funeral. He's a regular contributor to the Capuchin Soup Kitchen.

Chrysler did send send a letter to one dealer in Lakeview,Mi.I did watch this on the local news last night.This dealer is going to take Chrysler to court,this dealership has 25 new vehicles on their lot and Chrysler will not buy them back.Hopefully Family Auto Center in Muskegon,Mi is not on the list,that is where my father buys Chrysler factory parts and knows a couple of people that work in the service department very well.

What point is there to taking Chrysler to court. Sell them before they have to lose the franchise or sell them to other dealers.

I know you are not the one making the decision. It just seems silly to litigate. That won't move the cars. Just sell them like a dealer is supposed to do. Either to an end user, or to another dealer.

Why not trade new cars for used? Any dealer losing the franchise can still sell used cars. Many are still affiliated with another dealership. I.E. two of the three Chrysler dealers nearby that are being cut sell another brand. Both sell Ford. The third may carry other product as well, but I'm not sure. So why couldn't they find another dealer that sells Chrysler and Ford and trade Chryslers for Fords?

That would resolve the issue quicker than going to court.

Originally Posted By: wafrederick1
Chrysler did send send a letter to one dealer in Lakeview,Mi.I did watch this on the local news last night.This dealer is going to take Chrysler to court,this dealership has 25 new vehicles on their lot and Chrysler will not buy them back.Hopefully Family Auto Center in Muskegon,Mi is not on the list,that is where my father buys Chrysler factory parts and knows a couple of people that work in the service department very well.

Team Obama pretty much forced these closures on them. Geitner and his crew wanted to trim non-performing dealers many of which were dualed with competitors brands, and Fiat people decided on criteria and which dealers lost franchises. Most were small stand alone, probably many had opportunity in the past to sell/merge with other stores. The bankruptcy court has pretty much stated this is final. As to the dealer stock, if the dealer owns them or is floor planning thur local bank, they can do what they want.
Chrysler claims they will assist in brokering deals to help them out but court said they cant buy the stock back. Chrysler supposedly will offer current owners an extre 1000$ voucher on top of current rebates from what I read.

I agree. The BR court will give them short shrift in the face of the Gov't plan. Look at how the "non-TARP" lenders fared.

A lot of them will be going to used vehicle sales. Those that have well-developed service departments will convert to general garage shops (specializing in the dealer's former lines). That has already happened around here.

But I still don't see how cutting loose willing dealers (and hurting a lot of main streets) helps the manufacturer's profits in a meaningful way. If a particular operation is that unprofitable, they'll go out of business on their own from local market forces. Apparently from the news reports, many of them are happy and able to continue at existing volume. I just don't buy into the argument that making the remaining dealers "stronger" helps the manufacturer.

Look at the product line. This dealer massacre is just a diversion from their real problem: making quality product that consumers will buy from ANY size dealer.

Originally Posted By: Volvohead

Look at the product line. This dealer massacre is just a diversion from their real problem: making quality product that consumers will buy from ANY size dealer.

that is correct. Just because Daimler gutted chrysler and all sales are down 40 percent, i say we lay the blame squarely on the company. Someone said toyota lost more than GM last quarter...I think...I was plugging my ears and chanting "I can't hear you"

Pearson Dodge in Richmond is closing, but not on the list. They were a good dealer (formerly Chesterfield Dodge) and sad to see them go. They made good on a cracked dash problem with my Ram 1500. Very sad to see our industries vanish.

Originally Posted By: ViragoBry

I'm tempted to go look at a Challenger SE and see what kinda numbers they throw at me.

You should try to make a deal on the Challenger this weekend.

Originally Posted By: rszappa1
I actually was thinking about that myself. I may stop into a dealership here that is closing and see what the deal would be....

Good idea.

I am not into Chryslers but admit the Challenger is sexy.

Sad. Frank Kent just opened that Dodge house in 2007 in Fort Worth. They still consider it a new dealer. From a Google search listing:

"Frank Kent Motor Company in Fort Worth Texas with internet specials on new and used ... Please be sure to also check out our new Fort Worth Dodge Dealer store!"

Go across the highway from it and all the fields are full of Chrysler products. I wonder how long they'll sit there and rot in the weeds with no miles on them?

That dealer made local news the night of the day the closure list was announced. Seems Chrysler/Dodge actually approached them to carry the brand and open the dealership. No details of the business arrangement but the Kent's claim to have invested millions on their end. They say they will be joining others in bringing civil suit. Plus even up to now they have been profitable. Some speculation that they are included in the list because they only carried the Dodge line and not Chrysler/Jeep as well.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back