LiquiMoly MoS2 effect on Engine Oil?

Status
Not open for further replies.
These additives were made separately and not formulated in a finished product for a reason. And if one takes a few moments to think about it, over the life of an engine, you may never come to see their "theoretical" potential of "wear reduction" realized on the ground, add to that the cost that will not be anywhere near effective and worthwhile to justify the subjective observations of "smooth" and "quiet". Disturbing the chemical balance of a formulation is a wrong practice that will more than likely offset the cost paid to satisfy a couple of subjective observations that many good oils are more than capable of achieving on their own without help.
I'd like the think that the company that makes these (LM) was quite sure that they didn't have an impact on the oils' chemical balance that they make and recommend you using this with. The only time I've heard of this issue is from LM themselves w/r to using Ceratec with their Molygen product - they say that it is not ideal/recommended due to the chemical friction modifier in Ceratec "competing" with the "MFC" additive in Molygen. MoS2 can be used with it without issue (I've done it and spoken with LM about this).

Few years back I read one testimonial about LM additives which stack with me. Paraphrasing.
"I was never able to listen to my favorite music without turning the volume way up due to excessive loud noise of the engine. Than I found LM and the difference now is like night and day" :D

Mos2 is chemically inert, it doesn't react to anything otherwise in the oil. There could be physical interactions though, particularly with dispersants
Chemical balance could be distributed by altering concentrations as well.

Chemical balance could be distributed by altering concentrations as well.
Again using my last post, they give specifics on the "not to exceed" volume of the additive vs. the oil in a fill for that reason.

Again using my last post, they give specifics on the "not to exceed" volume of the additive vs. the oil in a fill for that reason.
Let me start with saying I’ve used both LM products and a few others over the years but now I buy HPL since it’s all designed as a package with a correspondingly higher price, but with the bones to back up its claims.

That said, I’m willing to bet that the “not to exceed” limit on additives is never enough to negatively impact the engine, but also never enough to show anything statistically significant. But it does put money in the bank for the additive company!

Let me start with saying I’ve used both LM products and a few others over the years but now I buy HPL since it’s all designed as a package with a correspondingly higher price, but with the bones to back up its claims.

That said, I’m willing to bet that the “not to exceed” limit on additives is never enough to negatively impact the engine, but also never enough to show anything statistically significant. But it does put money in the bank for the additive company!
I as well am on the HPL bandwagon with one of my cars but will continue to use LM for the other 2 VWs. We can also ask if using HPL improves anything beyond Walmart ST...statistically....

We can also ask if using HPL improves anything beyond Walmart ST...statistically....
I could probably get enough data on the ST to make a determination, but David @ HPL is likely the only one with enough data on their oils to make a comparison.

But we’ve already discussed, and I agree, that on OTC “spec” oils that are fairly tightly controlled (I.e. dexos) that you’re unlikely to see a statistical difference even over the long term. But we’re talking additives and non-spec oils here, which I certainly don’t have enough data to make an assumption on.

When I read all the concerns about this $7 additive I always think....don't folks think that LM has done the work/R&D to ensure this won't cause any issues/harm to their engines? Again...I can see the argument that it may not really be doing much w/r to friction modification but the concerns about filtration, oil pressure, and all the other things folks go on about in these threads based on 100% speculation are completely unfounded. If this stuff caused issues, you would have heard about it by now b/c there is one thing folks do with the internet/social media when something goes wrong with a product/service....they complain about it.
Imagine if LiquiMoly was a donor to BITOG!?!? They remind me a lot like BG..lots of additives for solutions to problems. Just like when people trash Fram, Pennzoil or whatever. If they were really a bad company then the would be out of business. I think Clevy used Mos2 and never had a problem.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back