Liquimoly does have MoS2! Ok....a bit of additive sub-forum clickbait

I still don't understand why a spec oil needs a supplementary friction reducer added to it, especially right after you pour the new oil in to begin with.

I still don't understand why a spec oil needs a supplementary friction reducer added to it, especially right after you pour the new oil in to begin with.
It doesn't. This is a want not a need.

Ok.

Why they even market their oils where you would feel a desire to boost the finished formulation.
They don't. They market most of their oils based on approvals. They also market additives for those that want more friction reduction etc. I don't see the issue with this. They make a nice profit on those additives and if you don't want to use them, no issue, don't. I have used several b/c it's fun to try things to be honest...just like others here on BITOG that use oils WAY beyond what is necessary for their cars b/c they want to even though it's completely unnecessary to use anything beyond Supertech from Walmart. It's the same concept to me.

They don't. They market most of their oils based on approvals. They also market additives for those that want more friction reduction etc. I don't see the issue with this. They make a nice profit on those additives and if you don't want to use them, no issue, don't. I have used several b/c it's fun to try things to be honest...just like others here on BITOG that use oils WAY beyond what is necessary for their cars b/c they want to even though it's completely unnecessary to use anything beyond Supertech from Walmart. It's the same concept to me.
Do they ever give specific and exact details on how much friction is reduced? I mean if it's (for example) a 10% reduction then one might be able to make some sort of value analysis vs. cost. But if it's more like 0.01% then that would make a difference.

Do they ever give specific and exact details on how much friction is reduced? I mean if it's (for example) a 10% reduction then one might be able to make some sort of value analysis vs. cost. But if it's more like 0.01% then that would make a difference.
Someone has posted the Euro TUV testing for MoS2 that gave some specific info somewhere here.

Some variants have MoS² already in them
According to the bottle
1689201058292.jpg

• Haha
Reactions: hrv
Some variants have MoS² already in them
According to the bottle
View attachment 166609
AFAIK that is the only oil they offer with it. They state on the bottle for high mile engines and I doubt it contains very much MoS2.

For their MoS2 additive they even say...
Specifically designed for older engine designs with or without a turbocharger.

This stuff was of some benefit in old diesel engines back in the days of poor quality oil but in modern engines it can cause problems.
It can and does clog hydraulic lash adjuster/lifters and may effect cam phasers and other hydraulically controlled parts.
I had a guy with a 2.0 AEG with hydraulic lash adjusters that was normally dead silent until he put MoS2 in it then it had ticking valves, a few OCI without it and it was silent again.

There was a poster that had similar occurrence in an American V6, if it can do that what can it do to a hydraulic cam chain tensioner or other hydraulic components. Solids do not belong in the oil, MoS2, white graphite or anything else. JMHO

Back