Liqui Moly Synthoil vs Molygen vs Leichtlauf

Does anyone know what the main differences are between the following Liqui Moly products?

1) Synthoil Energy A40 SAE 0W-40
2) Molygen New Generation SAE 5W-40
3) Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40

Obviously #1 is a 0W-40 versus a 5W-40. And I've read that #2 had additives that allow for improved leak detection using a UV light. But what else? Liqui Moly's website contains very vague and poor descriptions of these products with nothing that really indicates the differences or what they are best suited for.

Synthoil Energy A40 SAE 0W-40
Modern, fully synthetic top-of-the-line motor oil. Provides quick oil delivery throughout the engine during cold-start and optimum lubrication with maximum protection under all operating conditions. Beneficial for increased engine life in high tech engines. Use with extended oil change intervals as per manufacturer.

Molygen New Generation SAE 5W-40
Fully synthetic LIQUI MOLY specialty with a unique additive technology. The powerful MFC (Molecular Friction Control) technology prevents formation of deposits while simultaneously reducing frictional losses. The synergetic effect provides optimum wear protection even under tough operating conditions. Improved fuel consumption and increased engine life are some of the end results. The oils fluorescent green color is typical for the MFC formulation.

Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40
Top class fully synthetic, all-season motor oil for superior performance and long engine life. For gasoline and diesel vehicles without particulate filters (GPF/DPF). Exceeds strict test requirements specified by major manufacturers. Safe with catalytic converters and turbochargers. Use with extended oil change intervals as per manufacturer.

I'm planning to use one of them in my 2013 BMW 335i xDrive F30 which has about 110K miles and in excellent mechanical condition. I've been running 0W-40 at 10K intervals since coming out of warranty. For a while it was Castrol Edge and then I switched to Mobil 1. I'm leaning towards Leichtlauf High Tech SAE 5W-40 unless something convinces me otherwise.

Last edited:
1) Synthoil 0w40 is true synthetic (basic approvals)
2) Moly Gen 5w40 is fake synthetic with friction additives (molybdenum, tungsten...) (recommendations)
3) Leichtlauf HT 5w40 is fake synthetic very similar to most 5w40 oils (most of approvals)

Last edited:
Member here TiGeo has a lot of experience with Liqui Moly and has posted a bunch of UOA's and VOA's which may be helpful if you choose to search for those. The Leichtlauf should be a good bet though.

1) Synthoil 0w40 is true synthetic (basic approvals)
2) Moly Gen 5w40 is fake synthetic with friction additives (molybdenum, tungsten...) (recommendations)
3) Leichtlauf HT 5w40 is fake synthetic very similar to most 5w40 oils (most of approvals)
Synthoil is a Group III/IV oil. So, it has a chunk of PAO in it (30 to 60%)

If it's for the BMW in the signature, then I would pick the one that has a BMW LL-01 approval (Molygen and Leichlauf)

The Synthoil is an older oil but does have more of the "true synthetic" base stock. It's the only one of the 3 you list that can be sold in Germany with containers saying a "fully synthetic" (in German of course). The Leichtlauf is their standard Euro oil with all the various common approvals. The Molygen is similar to the Leichtlaf if you look at my VOAs but has the tungsten-based friction modifier and the UV green color for leaks. It has no approvals...only "recommended for". That's really it. Of the 3, in the BMW, the Leichtlauf is the only one wiht the LL-01 approval. For an 8 year old vehicle, warranty concerns should be zero, if you have some leaks you want to chase down you could try the Molygen. Of course there are other oils you can buy that do the same thing with the same/similar approvals - M1 or Castrol 0W40 (no LL-01 but shouldn't really be an issue as it has other approvals that are fitting), M1 or Castrol 5W40, etc. All of those are available for less $$ here in the U.S. than the LM. If you want to use LM, I suggest getting your kits from FCP Euro where on your seond/consecutive changes you can get refunded for the cost using their lifetime replacement system.

Last edited:
Yes N55 engine doesn’t have to use LL01 that is updated in 2018, hence Castrol 0W40 or 0W30. BMW’s always had good UOA on these oils.
I would though avoid M1 in DI engine due to very high SAPS.

Thanks for all the responses! The vehicle in question is the BMW 335 listed in my signature and mentioned at the bottom of the original post. I know I can get Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 cheaper, but I'm interested in trying something I've not used before. And since I plan to purchase it from FCP Euro, after a few oil changes and utilizing their Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, it won't really cost more.

I just got a Liqui Moly oil change kit from FCP for my Jetta, it was actually the best price for a kit I found and it's VW 508 approved so why not?

Thanks for all the responses! The vehicle in question is the BMW 335 listed in my signature and mentioned at the bottom of the original post. I know I can get Castrol Edge or Mobil 1 cheaper, but I'm interested in trying something I've not used before. And since I plan to purchase it from FCP Euro, after a few oil changes and utilizing their Lifetime Replacement Guarantee, it won't really cost more.
How much does it cost to ship the oil and filter back to FCP for their lifetime replacement guarantee? Shipping stuff back to them isn't free.

Yes N55 engine doesn’t have to use LL01 that is updated in 2018, hence Castrol 0W40 or 0W30. BMW’s always had good UOA on these oils.
How much does it cost to ship the oil and filter back to FCP for their lifetime replacement guarantee? Shipping stuff back to them isn't free.
ballpark of jug of Castrol 0W40.

BMW with DI turbo >> I'd strongly advocate using BMW LL-04 oil
with low Noack numbers, likely making for less IVD and LSPI issues.
LL-04 is what's widely common on these engines in Europe and other
markets. BMW used to recommend LL-01 in the US only due to former
sulphur levels in US fuels which is a thing of the past now. So there's
little to no reason still using BMW LL-01. My recommendations are:

M1 ESP 5W-30 (came with actual BMW LL-04 approval in the past)
Ravenol REP 5W-30 (with actual BMW LL-04 approval)
Ravenol RUP 5W-40 (with actual BMW LL-04 approval)

I only run REP in my Mini Cooper even though it has port injection.
Currently I'm also running REP in my GTI even though it has no VW
approval. However the GTI is getting Ravenol VMP 5W-30 when it's
getting its oil change done at the dealer as VMP has both BMW and
VW 504 00 approvals. I'd prefer to run REP only as I'm convinced
it's the best LL-04 approved 5W-30 currently available anywhere if
not the best LL-04 at all. Base oil quality (group 4 & 5), HTHS, Noack,
flashpoint and pourpoint numbers along with actual BMW and MB
approvals are pretty much unique. RUP is very similar and just a tad
thicker. It comes with LL-04, Porsche C40 and VW 511 00 approvals.
These oils have 6.X % Noack numbers, while LM Synthoil is 11 %.
I understand demand for BMW LL-01 oil will still be higher in the US
just because most American BMW owners are still used to use LL-01.
However I'm sure you can obtain M1 ESP 5W-30 fairly easy. It's still
one of the best oils for this application even though it lost its BMW
LL-04 approval. If M1 is too boring try Ravenol. Did I mention both
REP and RUP come with a tungsten additive package? Do a google
search for Vanderbilt Vanlube W-324. That perhaps isn't even the only
American ingredient in these German oils.

Reactions: JXW
If you use Paypal to buy the kits to start with, you can get up to $30 of return shipping refunded up to 12x a year. So free is free here. I paid one time to send my stuff back in a USPS flat rate box and it was $21.

BMW with DI turbo >> I'd strongly advocate using BMW LL-04 oil
with low Noack numbers, likely making for less IVD and LSPI issues.
LL-04 is what's widely common on these engines in Europe and other
markets. BMW used to recommend LL-01 in the US only due to former
sulphur levels in US fuels which is a thing of the past now. So there's
little to no reason still using BMW LL-01. My recommendations are:

M1 ESP 5W-30 (came with actual BMW LL-04 approval in the past)
Ravenol REP 5W-30 (with actual BMW LL-04 approval)
Ravenol RUP 5W-40 (with actual BMW LL-04 approval)

I only run REP in my Mini Cooper even though it has port injection.
Currently I'm also running REP in my GTI even though it has no VW
approval. However the GTI is getting Ravenol VMP 5W-30 when it's
getting its oil change done at the dealer as VMP has both BMW and
VW 504 00 approvals. I'd prefer to run REP only as I'm convinced
it's the best LL-04 approved 5W-30 currently available anywhere if
not the best LL-04 at all. Base oil quality (group 4 & 5), HTHS, Noack,
flashpoint and pourpoint numbers along with actual BMW and MB
approvals are pretty much unique. RUP is very similar and just a tad
thicker. It comes with LL-04, Porsche C40 and VW 511 00 approvals.
These oils have 6.X % Noack numbers, while LM Synthoil is 11 %.
I understand demand for BMW LL-01 oil will still be higher in the US
just because most American BMW owners are still used to use LL-01.
However I'm sure you can obtain M1 ESP 5W-30 fairly easy. It's still
one of the best oils for this application even though it lost its BMW
LL-04 approval. If M1 is too boring try Ravenol. Did I mention both
REP and RUP come with a tungsten additive package? Do a google
search for Vanderbilt Vanlube W-324. That perhaps isn't even the only
American ingredient in these German oils.
Pennzoil Platinum Euro L 5W30 which is Shell Helix Ultra with LL04 goes for $22 in Wal Mart for 5qt jug. You really can’t beat that.

Yes, hard to beat from an economical standpoint. I used the similar Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 several times in the past. Same as Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30, VW dealership VAPSoil 0W-30, Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30..... More GTL compared to its 5W-30 brothers and lots of Boron. No BMW approvals though.

Yes, hard to beat from an economical standpoint. I used the similar Shell Helix Ultra Professional AV-L 0W-30 several times in the past. Same as Shell Helix Ultra ECT C2/C3 0W-30, VW dealership VAPSoil 0W-30, Pennzoil Platinum Euro LX 0W-30..... More GTL compared to its 5W-30 brothers and lots of Boron. No BMW approvals though.
HTHS 3.5 and above won’t see BMW approval in 0W30/40 grade.
Irrelevant for cars prior to 2018 excluding N20/26.

HTHS 3.5 is minimum for both LL-01 and LL-04 (not for LL-01 FE).
From what I know there's no formal maximum for HTHS. Of course
it's getting more and more difficult to fulfill fuel saving requirements
with and HTHS of say 4.0 or above, but there are LL-04 approved oils
which are HTHS of 3.9 out there.

Back