Liqui-Moly MOS2 Anti-Friction Engine Treatment

Status
Not open for further replies.
Don't use it... A quality oil should be more than enough for your engine and if it isn't then a repair is needed. These "Miracle" additives do nothing more than separate you from your hard earned money with no real benefit to you. Save your money and sanity of whether is "may" be corrosive in contact with moisture and don't use additives.

thumbsup2.gif

I added LM MoS2 on a couple occasions to Mobil 1 5w40, 1/2 of a 300ml container each time, mixed with about 4.5 quarts of oil. The used-oil results showed reduced wear metals, not only during the initial OCI but in the follow-on interval.

Mobil 1 0w40 contains moly, 5w40 does not -- presumably because it's already a top-quality oil which may not need the moly or because it would increase the cost of manufacture. But based on my limited experience with MoS2, I would consider it a useful additive -- in small quantities -- when used with an oil which does not come from the manufacturer with a moly additive.

I would not describe LM MoS2 as snake oil -- it is molybdenum mixed with a harmless base. I do not know of any harm that can come from using it.

Originally Posted By: toyota62
Hi Guys.
I heard when contaminate with moisture this stuff can be corrosive. I don't know it is true or not.

If your looking to boost Moly why not give Schaeffers #132 a try? At least this way you're dealing with a company respected on BITOG and you know for sure you're not buying snake oil.

Only problem I see is can you get it in Australia?

Dude, dont take advice from jackasses who dont know what the heck they are talking about!

I use the MoS2 and its a great investment!

Was it really necessary to dredge up a two-year-old thread of ignorance?
crazy.gif

welcome2.gif
to BITOG, regardless. But you've now used one of your free passes...
grin2.gif

I searched MoS2 on google and the link to this page was in the search results... so i came here. Im guessing many others searching "mos2" will end up here aswell... looking for answers.

One guy on this thread made a comment that was even dumber than the others when he automatically jumped to the conclusion that this additive is to be used as an engine REPAIR!

I used this stuff as a kid some 50 years ago. I remember it as a colloidal suspension that will plate out on parts. The military were big users of it in the 50s? A good product to use when oil was not as robust as todays oil. I see no reason to use it today unless you have some very special requirements. JMO. Ed

Originally Posted By: Boss302fan
Here we go again.

Very good product that has been used succesfully by many people on this board.

thumbsup2.gif

Got half a can in there now.
laugh.gif
shocked.gif
.. should need time to do itsthing.

Inexpensice and has benefits over Tungstem (Ws2)

.. what diid you want to know?

Originally Posted By: SuperFast
Here we go again.

thumbsup2.gif

laugh.gif
shocked.gif

Dude, I thought you just had regular oil for once with NO additives? If you are running cleanup intervals still, I don't see any advantage to using MoS2. Not to get off subject, but it is relative.

Originally Posted By: ltslimjim
Here we go again.

thumbsup2.gif

laugh.gif
shocked.gif

Dude, I thought you just had regular oil for once with NO additives? If you are running cleanup intervals still, I don't see any advantage to using MoS2. Not to get off subject, but it is relative.

Yeah, i caved that little bit, you are correct. I have ONE HALF A CAN of MOS2 in there. I have NO OTHER ADDITIVES besides the 10W-40 motor oil.
Clean up intervals? .. the top of the engine looks LESS sludgy from whatever funkymix of "everything"
thumbsup2.gif
i had in there before.

However, im tempted to just let the Oil clean up, and the Moly "plate." Im not ODing on additives, and i caved.. for 1/2 can of the one thing.

Good point, though.
smile.gif

I like and use Lubro Moly.
Sure, there are umpteeen jillion additives that are questionable.
This one is good and proven.

If you don't like additives, simply buy an oil without any!
[you can't!]

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
I like and use Lubro Moly.
Sure, there are umpteeen jillion additives that are questionable.
This one is good and proven.

If you don't like additives, simply buy an oil without any!
[you can't!]

How much do YU add, and when? (Half a can? One can? Two cans?)

And how long do you feel it took to "plate?"
And does it mess with "Sludge" ?

How much do YU add, and when? (Half a can? One can? Two cans?)

And how long do you feel it took to "plate?"
And does it mess with "Sludge" ?

1/2 can, 150 ml, is enough for a typical automobile engine with a sump capacity of 4-5 quarts/liters. I recommend 1/2 can of MoS2 added at each oil change, or a full can every other oil change.

Moly is a friction-reducing additive, so has no effect on sludge. For that you would need a strong detergent additive.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back