Liqui-Moly 5W40 Synthoil High Tech

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hey guys,

Anyone here running the Liqui-Moly 5W40 stuff? Wanted to know if alot of people are using it, and how they like it.

Thanks!

JAG,

Did you test the LM/0w-40 after it had been in service for a few thousand miles? I'm guessing it sheared down significantly and that's why the fuel efficiency went up.

By and large, the 5w-40's using higher molecular weight basestocks tend to be more shear stable than the 0w-40's, regardless of who's making them.

TS

Ted, no I didn't do a UOA but there is one or more in the UOA section. This 0W-40 starts out on the thin side of a 40 weight at 100C, so not as much VI improver is needed as it would if it started out with a higher viscosity. It felt peppy from the start and didn't increase in peppyness over 5k miles, indicating its viscosity was decently stable. It was also a very low oil consumption oil - 0.05 inch drop on dipstick in 5k miles. I have observed sluggishness which gets better after a few thousand miles with several 40 weight synthetics.

JAG,

After considerable testing in my Audi TT, I like the idea of using a shear stable, xw-30 oil that's just thick enough to meet the A3 and VW 502.00 specs for HT/HS viscosity, ie approx 3.5 Cp @ 150C. I've tried the thicker 5w-40/10w-40 stuff and haven't seen any advantage in terms of wear rates, oil consumption or subjective NVH.

I have a few more Amsoil formulations to test, including their Series 3000 diesel oil and 10w-40/MC oil. Once that's done, I'll probably stick with their S2000/0w-30 and maybe add a bypass filter if I can find the room.

TS

That's what I was thinking to when I tried GC, but I couldn't accept the gas mileage reduction or the slight oil consumption increase. It may just be how GC is and not a 30 weight viscosity issue. But the taste in my mouth is bad enough and I'm so pleased with LM 0W-40 that I don't want to try any other 30 weights. But maybe I'll give Maxlife Synthetic 10W-30 a try some day! The new version seems to show a lot of promise and it's inexpensive; I'll wait on a UOA or VOA. I look forward to your future oil use experiments; bypass filter would be cool!

The GC has been formulated as a dual use, gas engine and light duty diesel oil. It's one of the few VW 505.00 oils that actually works well in the VW TDI diesel engine, for example. As a result, it's shear stable and not friction modified with MoDTC and/or borate esters. That's why fuel efficiency tends to be a bit lower than with some synthetics that are more optimized for use in Euro gas engines.

That makes sense but how does Lubromoly 0W-40 give so much better gas mileage in my engine despite having no MoDTC or borate esters? Is there possibly some friction modifying additive(s) that's invisible in UOAs? One example could be the viscosity index improvers themselves, right?

Jag,

There are specific types of esters that are used for friction modification, most of which don't show up in UOA's. The "intrafluid" friction of the basestock blend also comes into play. The VI mostly affects viscous losses during the warmup phase, ie higher is better in this regard.

TS

When i was using agip catalyst i had better millage and performance. When i switched to elf everything remained OK for the first 400 miles then millage and performanced dropped. I am planning to use agip again in spring as i suspect they are using a good friction modifier.

I'm running 60% LM Volle-synthese 5w-40 SJ with 40% 5w-20 SL. The engine runs great.

The next oil change will consist of 1L M1 5w20 SM, 1L MotoMaster Formula 1 5w20 synthetic SM, and the rest XD-3 0w40.

what the ****? do alot of people make these oil mix concoctions? i've never heard of mixing oils before... why do that?

and someone mentioned an oil bypass filter. what is that?

26 bucks!!! what the!!!

i hate you guys. why is everything so cheap in the states? that stuff costs me $45 for the jug here.

quote:

Originally posted by BennyL:
what the ****? do alot of people make these oil mix concoctions? i've never heard of mixing oils before... why do that?

and someone mentioned an oil bypass filter. what is that?

mixing oils is awesome!

quote:

Originally posted by BennyL:
26 bucks!!! what the!!!

i hate you guys. why is everything so cheap in the states? that stuff costs me $45 for the jug here.

I state that I'm under BMWCCA for a pretty nice discount
smile.gif
I think typically they would sell it for ~$35-40

I don't know about the non-Vollsynthese (sp?) Lubromoly oils, but the LM 5W-40 and 0W-40 Vollsynthese oils are very good. I've used both in my VW 1.8T. The 0W-40 truly does give amazing gas mileage in my engine. The 5W-40 gave about 30.0 mpg and the 0W-40 gave about 31.0 mpg and a few times gave 32.25 mpg. It's not just a matter of one being thinner than the other. GC is thinner than the LM 0W-40 yet GC gave pretty lousy gas mileage (28 mpg). I'm going back to LM 0W-40 next oil change along with maintenance dose of Auto-RX, a lethal combination!

P.S. I have a thread with volatility data on these oils and others on this forum if you want to see it. There are some UOAs of both these oils in the UOA forum. Also, both these LM oils have 70% PAO, 20% mineral oil as additive carrier, and 10% additives. www.worldpac.com has the MSDSs.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back