LinuxMint Cinnamon and Mate 17.1 released.

Status
Not open for further replies.
I've been running 17.0 on my Hexa-Core AMD for a couple of weeks now. What a great OS. It easily runs 3-4x faster than Windows 7 on the same hardware.

Driver support is great, detected all of the hardware and has a decent driver for my HD7750. Works just fine with my Samsung Laser printer. But fortunately any old PCL driver would work for that guy.

If it wasn't for the amount of PC games I have and would like to eventually play, I'd switch completely.

I love it and anxiously await 17.1 which can be installed as a simple update. It should be ready for prime time in a few days.

Originally Posted By: simple_gifts
Despite what is erroneously and repeatedly posted here, it supports printers and scanners and has, for years.

One should still check it beforehand for his/her printer/scanner. Brother has great Android and Linux support if somebody is considering buying new
smile.gif

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: demarpaint
I love it and anxiously await 17.1 which can be installed as a simple update. It should be ready for prime time in a few days.

I guess I don't understand your post, given my thread title.

Quote:

One should still check it beforehand for his/her printer/scanner. Brother has great Android and Linux support if somebody is considering buying new

Agreed; I find it odd that a host of people consider device support the Achilles heal of running it. Usually people decide to run it after their primary OS of choice has failed them. Then suddenly lack of driver support for a computer they bought to run an entirely different OS, is the fault of the OS they are now choosing to run.

It is like having your GM car dying and complaining you can't remove the alternator and install it in your hyundai.

Plenty of lists of supported devices, and many vendors have put the penguin on the box. Buy a device that the OS supports; this is true for any OS

Can you play netflix without jumping through hoops now?

does it support video acceleration? Its for an amd neo L325

Right now its using windows 7 and works 100% at 480p

some 720p will have occasional shuddering not bad.

I'd like to recycle the retail w7 key to a new build.

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: simple_gifts

I guess I don't understand your post, given my thread title.

17.1 will be available through the updates soon for current users of 17.0. As of this moment it must be downloaded then you burn the iso file and install it. Unless I missed something.

17.1 will be available through the updates soon for current users of 17.0. As of this moment it must be downloaded then you burn the iso file and install it. Unless I missed something.

Probably referring to this
mint 17.1 info
Quote:

One of the major advantages of this switch to LTS-basing is supposed to be that upgrades to point-releases can be done much more easily without requiring a complete reinstallation. This release will be the first test of that, and the release announcement says that upgrading "will be easy", and details will be announced in the near future, so just sit tight.

Originally Posted By: Rand

Probably referring to this
mint 17.1 info
Quote:

One of the major advantages of this switch to LTS-basing is supposed to be that upgrades to point-releases can be done much more easily without requiring a complete reinstallation. This release will be the first test of that, and the release announcement says that upgrading "will be easy", and details will be announced in the near future, so just sit tight.

I might have misunderstood what I read, but I was under the impression that soon after the Stable release was out people who were running 17.0 could simply upgrade via the Update Manager if they chose to do so. This way you'd avoid doing a complete installation, and all the software, settings, etc. would remain as is.

Sorry if I'm not clear I'm still fairly new to this.

This is what lead me to believe it would be available as an update from the Update Manager:

QUOTE:If you are running Linux Mint 17, you do not need to reinstall. Please wait a little while. We’ll provide updates to Linux Mint 17 and information in an upcoming announcement. Upgrading will be easy, fully supported and it will be an opt-in (i.e. you will have the choice to upgrade to 17.1 but also to keep 17 as it is).

Last edited:
This might clear things up. It will be an upgrade via the Update Manager for 17.0 users. I'll anxiously wait....................

Upgrade instructions:
If you want to upgrade from Linux Mint 17, please wait for a few days while we release a new version of the Update Manager to you. In the meantime, you do not need to download or to reinstall anything. We’ll make announcements next week when this is ready.

Just updated both my laptop (Cinnamon), and my desktop (Mate) to 17.1. The update was really easy and fast. On my laptop the entire update took all of 7 minutes (SSD), and was under 20 minutes on my desktop with a regular HDD. So far really liking the changes that 17.1 has!

Originally Posted By: hatt
What are the major changes?

The major change, is that Mint used to track all Ubuntu releases; but starting at Mint 17 (tracking Ubuntu 14.04LTS) the every-six-month releases will continue to track the LTS versions of Ubuntu (LTS = Long Term Support). What will now make updates to Mint versions trivial (whereas they were a pain-in-the-bottom before) is that they're in essence simply updating the applications on top of the same Ubuntu LTS framework.

In other words, not much will change from Mint 17(.0) through 17.3 aside from updated applications. Version 18 will then track Ubuntu's next LTS - 16.04, due out in April of 2016.

This is not to say that there may not be updated versions of their in-house Desktop Environments (MATE and Cinnamon) which may introduce new features and functions and/ or look and feel different; just that the underlying OS will remain much more stable.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back