Linux simple email forwarder

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am seeking input in a simple secure open source program to use for this purpose. I am sure multiple capable programs are available that can do it, but I don't know the best place to start.

Here is the scenario:

- A domain we.com with two email recipients, [email protected] and [email protected]

- The DNS MX record will point to a Linux server I have control of.

- Mail sent to [email protected] should forward to [email protected] and mail sent to [email protected] should forward to [email protected]. Mail sent to anything else @we.com should be rejected.

- The forwarded email should have the 'From' rewritten in such wise that it will not fail SPF, perhaps using an 'on behalf of' style.

- Mail does not need to be spam-checked, the final destination ourmail.com will handle that.

If this is not a good idea, you can tell me that too.
wink.gif

TIA!

I think what you want is to use Sendmail's virtusertable (assuming you're using Sendmail). To do this, you would have the following in /etc/mail/virtusertable on your Linux box:

[email protected] [email protected]
[email protected] [email protected]

And then generate the virtusertable.db file.

I'm not sure on rewriting From: or sender headers to accommodate SPF. You might be able to hack something together with Procmail, or some kind of Perl filter.

Hope that helps,
Mike

I might get flamed for this, but here goes.

Use AWS and this guy's instructions to get started.
http://flurdy.com/docs/ec2/mail/
http://flurdy.com/docs/postfix/
"Step by step guide to install Postfix
Ubuntu + Postfix + Courier IMAP + MySQL + Amavisd-new + SpamAssassin + ClamAV + SASL + TLS + Roundcube + Postgrey "

The guy has an AMI image that has most of the packages installed.

I went through this in 2011, when I went from running my own physical mail server using Sendmail to using his recommendations, based on Postfix. Yes, it's a lot of tech.
But, your mail server gets attacked so much that it's not worth standing up your own unless you have it really well protected.
When you're finished you'll pay about $25/mon (electricity included), and first year is free. Buy a paper notebook and make good notes, as you'll forget what you did in twelve months.

Some of his instructions are broken, so you'll do some troubleshooting along the way. (Late last year I had to downgrade a few of the Ubuntu packages after I upgraded them, because the newer ones I updated to broke the functonality of the mail server.)

Thank you all for the replies.

I have no desire to run a mail server either. I was hoping that this is a simple case that can be solved with simple bullet-proof software, without engaging sophisticated software like Postfix.

I have set up something to accomplish this before using a web hosting account, but lacking the 'From' rewrite. It worked for years until providers became strict about SPF and other spam countermeasures, then it all fell apart.

fastmail looks interesting, but I am trying to avoid another provider transition if possible.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back