Linux on netbook?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Addendum: It seems the remix (and other Ubuntu installer versions too)does not always contain the wifi drivers needed. An IT geek once told me a nonfunctioning wifi can be remedied by searching for and installing the correct drivers, but it is not an easy task.

AS a side note, last Christmas I lent my Xubuntu 8.10 cd installer to a friend whose son installed it in his 2 yr old Lenovo laptop - am not sure what model it was. Although I have not seen the actual laptop, my friend told me it works fine in his laptop, including the wifi. He's delighted about the virus immunity of the OS.

Originally Posted By: berniedd
Addendum: It seems the remix (and other Ubuntu installer versions too)does not always contain the wifi drivers needed. An IT geek once told me a nonfunctioning wifi can be remedied by searching for and installing the correct drivers, but it is not an easy task.

I did have to take the extra step of adding the wifi driver on my netbook. Just hooked the freshly installed system to a network cable to get the driver through the Package Installer. The how-to's on the Ubuntu forums are pretty good so I was ready for this.

I have an HP Pavillion that I installed fedora 8 on a year ago, and it seems to work well. The newer fedora 10 will be easier as it should have most if not all of the firmware and drivers needed. I work at a hotel and many of our overseas i.e. non american guests have linux as standard. You get less bloat, more flexibility, and less make that none of the "Dictatoresque" control that Microwiney wants over your computer.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back