Linux Mint 17 accident file deletion please help..

Status
Not open for further replies.
TIA-Is there an easy way to restore files from my second HDD that I deleted by accident? Disk /dev/sdb. I wiped out my Kmymoney data by mistake, and my backup to my thumb drive would still leave me with about an extra hour's work.

You could use the program PHOTOREC, but the file extensions need to be supported. What are the extensions of the files you are looking for???

Originally Posted By: Darwin1138
You could use the program PHOTOREC, but the file extensions need to be supported. What are the extensions of the files you are looking for???

.kmy

^^It didn't work. I used the thumb drive backup and killed an hour plugging in data that wasn't in the backup. Lesson learned.

I asked how you deleted them because sometimes, if you use a file manager, it simply places your deleted files in some sort of trash folder.

Command line, much harder recovery.

Doesn't matter now, you manually re-created the missing data.

I tried TESTDISK later, which left me with a small nightmare. It found 75 folders with about 100 files/folder worth of recovered files. Then locked them so they couldn't be deleted unless I took ownership, or whatever Linux calls it via the Terminal. SCREW that, I went into my OS backup and did a restore which was a [censored] of a lot easier IMO than trying to take control of all those folders in a terminal and deleting them.

I learned a few good lessons and I'm up and running problem free again!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back