Linux - Gnome 3

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have been running Lubuntu 11.10 on my Laptop. Figured I would try Gnome 3. It is in the Ubuntu Repositories. Splash screen shows Debian which Ubuntu is based on.

After downloading and rebooting at login chose Gnome and it started without a hitch.

Early but like what I see. With more portable gagets like tablets, etc., and other touch screen stuff coming down the pike, a lot of changes as far as desktops are necessary I guess?

Link To Gnome 3 Web Site

Interesting, I've been itching for an upgrade right now as I'm running a beta version of kubuntu that leaves quite a few things to be desired, and I have yet to get used to the KDE interface, which has some good things, but some things that take getting used to, and some other things that I find annoying; still miles better than Unity.

I couldn't bear the thought of being subjected to the Unity interface again, so I've been thinking either Pc Linux Os, or waiting for the next version of Mint.

I'd like to keep the fiddling around to a minimum so I'm not sure how good of an option your route is for someone a little rusty with linux configuration.

Originally Posted By: ueberooo
Interesting, I've been itching for an upgrade right now as I'm running a beta version of kubuntu that leaves quite a few things to be desired, and I have yet to get used to the KDE interface, which has some good things, but some things that take getting used to, and some other things that I find annoying; still miles better than Unity.

I couldn't bear the thought of being subjected to the Unity interface again, so I've been thinking either Pc Linux Os, or waiting for the next version of Mint.

I'd like to keep the fiddling around to a minimum so I'm not sure how good of an option your route is for someone a little rusty with linux configuration.

Wonder if Mint 12 will use Gnome 3 or Unity? PCLinuxOS uses KDE with the exception of an older version.

Debian 6 may be an option? I am running it on a Netbook.

Have been running Gnome 3.X on my Laptop now a few days and am impressed with the desktop.

Will stick with it and plan on trying it on my Netbook that is used for travel too.

Gnome 3 looks nice...but i am scared to upgrade from my homely, comfortable and straight-forward 10.10
frown.gif

Mint will be using Gnome 3 for thier next Ubuntu-based release. Their Debian-based rolling release will probably use Gnome 3 as soon as it hits Debian's Testing repository. (Gnome 3 is, as of this writing, in Debian's Experimental repository.)

I've tried out Gnome 3 in Ubuntu 11.10 and Arch. I really like it so far; despite the fact that it is a major re-thinking of the desktop computing experience.

Originally Posted By: SrDriver
Debian 6 may be an option? I am running it on a Netbook.

Debian will run on many architectures (including ARM CPU's) but your netbook may or may not have chipsets (most notably for the wi-fi) for which F/LOSS drivers are not available. Ubuntu and Mint are always better bets for that kind of hardware because they're less militant about the software used being F/LOSS.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back