Linux app to monitor UPS status?

Is there a free app under Linux (Ubuntu) with GUI allowing one to monitor APC UPS status? The UPS connects to a USB port.

I can connect it to my router and monitor it through the router. Just looking to see what's available via Linux.

Thanks!

Did you check the APC website?
Yes, all they have is Windows software.

EDIT: Actually, I did find something for Linux, but the installation instructions are way over my head...

Last edited:
Performing apt search apc revealed:

apcupsd/focal 3.14.14-3build1 amd64
APC UPS Power Management (daemon)

apcupsd-cgi/focal 3.14.14-3build1 amd64
APC UPS Power Management (web interface)

If you installed that/ those (the latter would likely pull down the former as a dependency) you could use the help or MAN page to figure out how to access the web interface: It'd likely just be http://127.0.0.1:SOME_PORT_NUMBER

EDIT: This installation may, too, be a bit of a PITA: https://help.ubuntu.com/community/apcupsd

Thanks. Yeah, I can't get this to work. Possibly I am doing something wrong inside the configuration file.
Remember that every time you edit a config file for a daemon that you'll need to restart it sudo systemctl restart NAME_OF_DAEMON for the new config to take effect. Many a presumptions about config file errors have been made by folks who've not restarted the daemon!

Remember that every time you edit a config file for a daemon that you'll need to restart it sudo systemctl restart NAME_OF_DAEMON for the new config to take effect. Many a presumptions about config file errors have been made by folks who've not restarted the daemon!
Ha! Genius!

Thanks!

Code:
APC : 001,036,0862
DATE : 2021-03-22 12:09:21 -0400 
HOSTNAME : nucster
VERSION : 3.14.14 (31 May 2016) debian
UPSNAME : APC BR1350MS
CABLE : USB Cable
DRIVER : USB UPS Driver
UPSMODE : Stand Alone
STARTTIME: 2021-03-22 12:09:19 -0400 
MODEL : Back-UPS RS 1350MS
LINEV : 122.0 Volts
LOADPCT : 2.0 Percent
BCHARGE : 100.0 Percent
TIMELEFT : 180.0 Minutes
MBATTCHG : 10 Percent
MINTIMEL : 5 Minutes
MAXTIME : 0 Seconds
SENSE : Medium
LOTRANS : 88.0 Volts
HITRANS : 144.0 Volts
ALARMDEL : No alarm
BATTV : 27.3 Volts
LASTXFER : Low line voltage
NUMXFERS : 0
TONBATT : 0 Seconds
CUMONBATT: 0 Seconds
XOFFBATT : N/A
SELFTEST : NO
STATFLAG : 0x05000008
SERIALNO : 4B2041P3****
BATTDATE : 2020-10-09
NOMINV : 120 Volts
NOMBATTV : 24.0 Volts
NOMPOWER : 810 Watts
FIRMWARE : 951.e4 .D USB FW:e4
END APC : 2021-03-22 12:09:32 -0400

I am impressed when people make stuff work with Linux. I have full capability to do it as I work on the development side of things but mainly cloud apps.

I have ZERO desire to spend the time tinkering to make things work together on computers because they are free, cheaper. I live with function given by the out of box solution and gladly pay for it.

Seriously? This isn't 1991; The solution provided above was due to a lack of knowledge of how services work under linux, it wasn't someone "making stuff work" (i.e. tinkering)

I think you are selling yourself short; "Living with functionality given by out of the box solutions" limits your creativity by restraining yourself to the imagination of others.

Linux is the toolbox of the technical artist. It is not paint by numbers; to each his own.

Linux is the toolbox of the technical artist. It is not paint by numbers; to each his own.
Amen. We wouldn't have the internet as we know it, nor most of the smart devices that connect to it, nor Chromebooks and Android nor whatever else some ambitious, industrious, curious kids are working on right now. Nor would a lot of people have the opportunities to jump in and involve themselves in that global ecosystem.

Freedom is grand, if not chaotic.

So if you want to monitor your APC unit using Gentoo Linux, for example, you begin by first compiling the Linux kernel... 😆😆😆

Seriously? This isn't 1991; The solution provided above was due to a lack of knowledge of how services work under linux, it wasn't someone "making stuff work" (i.e. tinkering)

I think you are selling yourself short; "Living with functionality given by out of the box solutions" limits your creativity by restraining yourself to the imagination of others.

Yes, long gone are the days when you change something and need to reboot. Usually just restart the service and we are off to the races.

Back