LinixMint 20.1 is out

I Liked Mint, it's very easy to navigate even though it still uses the Linux file system. This is hugely different from the Windows system, but it does the same thing! I know that sounds strange, but it's mostly a problem of what things are called....like learning a new language.

Anyway, the "old" Mint, I think I stopped at 17 or 18, just wouldn't install on my new Gigabyte board, so I went to Ubuntu and had an easy time of it.
I might try the new version as a "Live CD" and see how it looks. Mint was always my favorite and I'd like to move back to it.
Thanks for the heads up!
Just so you all know, Linux beats the crap out of Windows anything, if you don't mind learning the language. Some gamers might be dissapointed too since popular games aren't really ported to Linux in my experience.
Steam is OK, but not free.

I like Mint a lot: They develop a sensible, stable desktop which for the last few years has been based solely on Ubuntu's LTS rather than the in-between releases; and now it seems they have an elegant upgrade path. Hard to find something not to like about this.

IMO LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) receives ***far*** too little attention from both developers and the community of users. It's a default Cinnamon DE on top of a Debian Stable base and is faster and more stable ("stable" meaning "not changing") than the Ubuntu LTS-based main version(s). At first glance it appears to have feature parity but I am certain a lot of the underlying userland applications might be a little long in the tooth. It's also a rolling release so no worrying about re-installs. (I would expect that every couple of years when Debian Testing migrates to Stable that there'd be a pretty massive update, however!)

IMO LMDE (Linux Mint Debian Edition) receives ***far*** too little attention from both developers and the community of users. It's a default Cinnamon DE on top of a Debian Stable base and is faster and more stable ("stable" meaning "not changing") than the Ubuntu LTS-based main version(s). At first glance it appears to have feature parity but I am certain a lot of the underlying userland applications might be a little long in the tooth. It's also a rolling release so no worrying about re-installs. (I would expect that every couple of years when Debian Testing migrates to Stable that there'd be a pretty massive update, however!)
Agreed. If you're gonna use a non-vanilla distro, it's one of the better ones.

Pure Debian has become my only Linux after years of trying to get all the other mainline main distros to work and it seems to just be getting better. I even got Microsoft Teams to work on it with no hiccups before I got my daughter a Win laptop!

Went from Linux Mint Mate to Ubuntu Mate about three or four years ago. No problem with either. Also fond of Peppermint Linux which I might reinstall in a low power thirteen year old laptop.

Been running it on an old Acer netbook, just reloaded it after replacing the original drive with a new 240 GB SSD. So far, the SSD is way faster than the 120 GB conventional drive.

over my head but interesting as having xtra older lappys with less power + NOT liking windows 10 but found older versions 7 home premium to work well + simple to find + do things. not a computer geek by far + just enjoy forums + U tubes for all the great info + of course shopping on-line for better prices + availability of many things

Benjy, MS makes a "fake" OS. Call them and ask them what their formulation is and they won't tell you; Linux is the real deal PAOver the top OS, with everything visible and available to the end user.

Did not read blog yet but...... Linux Mint updater is horrible; it shows the end user packages that will be updated and lets them choose and mentions which ones are security and for some reason the kernels are separate. People using mint DONT CARE. Just update everything that needs updating like it is done in ubuntu. It is like they create a stellar distribution for the masses and then hobble it the #1 thing that causes people to shy away from linux, the need to know what is under the covers. Sheeesh.

My friend insists on using it because he had purchased a mintbox mini. We was asking me what he should choose and how to update the system and I told him I don't know and was confused by the whole experience and it is one of the reasons i don't use it.

I really like that Mint offers a few different upgrade options. Updating a kernel unnecessarily is only asking for trouble and I have had my issues both desktop- and server-side with new kernels borking drivers or requiring server reboots. Mint offers options that range from "stay as up-to-date as possible" to "just don't break anything" and I appreciate that: Ubuntu's options are bit less obvious and Ubuntu's insistence at times in cramming non-security updates into my system drives me nuts.

So the trick is in asking who determines what "needs" updating. Ubuntu LTS and Mint being a derivative of that are not supposed to be bleeding-edge. But they've both trying strike a balance between "stable" and "current" by, for example, remaining abreast of major browser versions. Debian Stable or RHEL (& clones), in contrast, "just work" and will only ever update security fixes; to the point of complete boredom and, by the end of a version's support cycle, possible obsolescence in package versions.

Back