Lincoln navigator

Status
Not open for further replies.
Have a Lincoln Navigator, 2004 with 99,000 miles. Just off extended warranty, no issues.
Basically have been getting 5k changes with Motorcraft 5-20, twice at Valvoline Instant with their syn blend.
The Motorcraft is a blend, and inexpensive, but the dealer doesn't get oil changes out in less than 2 hours. The valvoline blend is convenient, but with 7 quarts, gets expensive.
Would conventional 5-20 from Valvoline, or Pennzoil be ok?
Did my own changes in the 80's, but don't want to get into ramps to get under this beast.
Robert

Brand name conventional 5W20 oil and Motorcraft filter will do 5,000 miles. Buy the oil whenever it is on sale and filter from WM and find an independent mechanic near you to do the oil change.

You can't get under the Navigator without using ramps? I change the oil on both my cars and my small truck by just reaching under there without ramps. I would think the Navigator has much more room under there than my vehicles.

would you even need ramps? isn't it high enough to reach under to the drain plug? I don't know, just askin'. my 4WD MPV is high enough to just reach under, drain plug is at the front of the pan, makes it real easy.

SUVs and Trucks, I've changed oil without ramps/jackstands. but I'm a small dude though.

I had a '97 Expedition, which was the same basic size as the OP's Navigator. If it is a 2WD vehicle, working space is surprisingly cramped underneath, even for an avg. sized guy like me. The 4WD models would not have been a problem to get under without ramps.

I put the Expy on jack stands once to change the oil, so I wouldn't be so cramped.

Some followup for those interested. Had a patient who is a Ford mechanic. Anecdotally, he has noted more oil related failures in the 5.4 L V8 that had their oil changes with conventional oil than those who had all of their service with the synthetic blend.

I have ramps that I purchased at walmart that I use under my 08 f150 4x4 supercrew. They work just fine and I believe they are rated for 3k lbs. each. Your Navigator won't be much heavier than a truck

Originally Posted By: tennisdoc40
Some followup for those interested. Had a patient who is a Ford mechanic. Anecdotally, he has noted more oil related failures in the 5.4 L V8 that had their oil changes with conventional oil than those who had all of their service with the synthetic blend.

All the reason to use Motorcraft syn blend or better oil.
Were the failures repairable, like the front chain, or were they more catastrophic and terminal?

What were the oils used?
What were the oil change intervals?
What viscosities were used?
What were the oil related failures?
Were they lease return vehicles?
I would guess you do not know the answer but I had to question the statement.

MC5-20 syn blend/MC 820S (or even
shocked2.gif
Fram PH2's) have been used in our variety of E & F 250/350's with 5.4 Mod motors for hundreds of thousands of miles with no oil-related issues. Seems to be a perfect match.
thumbsup2.gif

That is odd, we run conventional bulk in our fleet of Ford 5.4's. According to my fleet manager there has not been an oil related failure(internal engine damage). Auxillaries go out, power windows fail, stuff like that but the engines themselves are reliablwe and are run in a desert environment, cold winters heavily loaded and idled alot.

I would like more detail on these failures and run them by the fleet manager and managers of other local fleets to see if there is in relevant corelation with those I know and there experience.

What was the faliure mode? what was the service, what was the interval and grade used?
A classic RCFA if you will.

Modern conventional 5W-20's are very high-quality products that are often a syn-blend w/o saying so. Is it possible that these 5.4's are being put in HD trucks that are being used very hard or even abused?

tennisdoc - That probably is fro another reason. The synth users are initially more concerned with the engine and take better general care, and of course pay attention to oil changes.
Dino is not the real problem, it is a side effect symptom.

Originally Posted By: lostwrench
You can't get under the Navigator without using ramps? I change the oil on both my cars and my small truck by just reaching under there without ramps. I would think the Navigator has much more room under there than my vehicles.

The Navigator is lower than an average 4x4 truck. Not only is the bumper low, the air suspension lowers the entire vehicle once you shut it off. Our 2003 won't even drive on my ramps without putting a 2x10" board in front of the ramps. The worst part is getting the oil filter out, what a terrible design.

Our 2003 Navigator had Motorcraft 5w20 for the first 40k, since then I have used AMSOIL 0w20 and most recently Schaeffer's 5w20. The Motorcraft 5w20 held up fine for 5k drain intervals, I ran the AMSOIL for 8k/1yr and the Schaeffer's is still running great at 5k. My only observed difference between the three is the increased cold-engine noise with the Schaeffer's 5w20. Fuel economy has been a "solid" 13.8 MPG average since we have owned the vehicle, regardless of oil choice.

Originally Posted By: mechtech2
tennisdoc - That probably is fro another reason. The synth users are initially more concerned with the engine and take better general care, and of course pay attention to oil changes.
Dino is not the real problem, it is a side effect symptom.
thumbsup2.gif

Quote:
The worst part is getting the oil filter out, what a terrible design.

All the ones I've seen on that platform after 2000 (1 Nav; 3 Exp'ys) are like that. Changing the filter makes my right arm look what I'd imagine it would after sticking your arm in a bobcat's cage for a minute or two. Thank G0d for Neosporin.
thumbsup2.gif

I gave up and take 'em to the local Ford guy - 7 quarts semi-syn MC 5-20/FL820S filter for $30.00.
blush.gif
And, no Neosporin required..
banana2.gif
From what the dealer's guys tell me, if you have it on a lift, it's a piece of cake.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back