Lincoln LS, educate me

Status
Not open for further replies.
Those who've owned one, or had significant experience with them, please tell me about them. I know there is plenty good about them, but need to know the bad and the difficult. Specifically, I have a 2003 in mind to look at. Thanks!

i think the retro Tbird had the same engine that was in the Lincoln LS, no? I know 2 owners who have the v8 version, and they're both very happy.
The design almost makes it to be some place where hipness and seriousness meets, which is not easy to do.

Thanks, everyone.

From what I've seen out there on the road and in parking lots, the v8 is far more popular, and in this particular case, it is a v8.

I'd like to know what the trouble areas are, and what to look for in a used 2003 with around 85k miles.

As a a BITOG DIYer, I'd also like to know how difficult it is to service.
wink.gif

Does that generation LS have the coil packs that fail around 100k miles? (I ask due to experiences of my friends with Ford v8 engines from the early 2000s where all ignition coils had to be replaced around the 100k mile mark, but those were 4.6 and 5.4 engines, not the 3.9)

My in-laws have an 05' with the V6, and i've found the car to have decent pick-up and handling. It has a nice cruising ride, and was pretty quiet inside. I didn't find the leather seats too comfortable. I think the cushion was too flat, and as expected no lateral support.
If you get a good price on the 03', and it's in good shape, then go for it.

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
Does that generation LS have the coil packs that fail around 100k miles? (I ask due to experiences of my friends with Ford v8 engines from the early 2000s where all ignition coils had to be replaced around the 100k mile mark, but those were 4.6 and 5.4 engines, not the 3.9)

My 99 Grand Marquis had coil packs and and it lasted till 200K miles with no problem at all until it was totaled in a hurricane.

A few years I drove one that had a V6 and another one that had the V8...The V8 was much smoother and nicer to drive.

I wish they stll made them cause they were such nice cars.

I am curious now, is the LS v8 engine an American or European product?

How about the transmission? Is it used in any other American Ford products?

Originally Posted By: BearZDefect
I am curious now, is the LS v8 engine an American or European product?

How about the transmission? Is it used in any other American Ford products?

As I recall it had the popular 4.6 for the V8.

Not sure on the transmission.

My father had one of the earliest V8s (2001?) with a 5-speed auto. The only problem I remember he had was a traction control indicator light that didn't seem to impact the drivability (unless you needed T.C.) He got it fixed outside of warranty for free since the light came on during the warranty period and he hinted he would not be purchasing another Lincoln if he had to shell out $700 for an issue only 50K into the life of the car. No other issues IIRC.

Servicing he did @ the dealer, frankly, one can not see much from the top of the car with the engine cover on.

Pulled 26mpg highway.

Engine hauled, chassis extremely tight and build quality seemed Eurpoean (unAmerican?) Tight even years after purchasing it.

I found the 5-sp to be tuned to shift "sloppily" perhaps to not turn off a majority of geezers that might purchase the car; I like crisp pronouced shifts, even if I can feel it. I suspect just a decision from Lincoln and not "some issue"

The LS actually beat the BMW 5 series handling in some test conducted by an auto mag...don't remember which one... it was in LS tv commercials, those days....

Originally Posted By: 97tbird
The LS actually beat the BMW 5 series handling in some test conducted by an auto mag..

I thought that was Cadillac CTS?

some of it is here:
http://www.automobile.com/2003-lincoln-ls-v8-road-test.html

"...For 2003, Ford redesigned more than 500 components and systems in the Lincoln LS in an effort to meet or beat the performance thresholds set by the BMW 5 Series. Again, according to Lincoln advertising the 03 LS is faster than the BMW 540i and better handling. After a couple of weeks behind the wheel, it lends credibility to those claims...."

I can't seem to find tha auto mag test that confirmed this, somehow...i am pretty sure I read it those days.

It is a pity the LS was discontinued.

I am glad to read the transmission is a regular Ford unit employed in other American market vehicles.

I am curious to test drive, maybe I'll get a chance one of these days.

Thanks to everyone who contributed above.

Not to beat a dead horse, but are there any good resources for the LS on the Internet?

I haven't found a good forum yet. Perhaps I am spoiled by the forums out there for the Maxima (to support my i30) and various Honda models (for when I had Honda cars). While they have plenty of useless posts, they also have lots of useful information.

There are Nissan and Honda dealers who sell OEM parts on the 'net for 40% off list price any day. What about parts for the LS? Local dealer only for most? Any decent aftermarket support for regular replacement parts?

Finally, are there any cheap DIY methods of getting information and clearing malfunction codes from the computer in the LS?

Thanks!

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back