Limited discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.
It seems that most of the discussion on the board seems to focus on Redline, Amsoil, Mobile products and GC. I don't know why more board members do not discuss or use some the other great oils such are Synergyn, and Torco.

Synergn looks like an excellent oil. I got this from the board's VOA section for the Synergyn 3w-30

Moly 116

Boron 153

Calcium 3687

Phosphorus 1608

Zinc 1791

Silicone 8

It looks like a good deal at $5.84/quart or $4.87 if you purchase 5 gallons of it.

Also Torco seems outstanding but the only drawback is that it is expensive ($9.65/Litre). I am still tempted to try it. It seems to be as good as Redline. It would be good to see some UOAs of these oils. I would try out the Synergyn in my LS1 but I have 26 quarts of GC right now so it is going to take a while until I am able to use them all.

I think that these oils deserve consideration.

[ February 17, 2004, 03:15 AM: Message edited by: SSDude ]

I do agree, we're stuck in a rut discussing the same oils over and over, but part of the reason is availability too. Good oils like Torco or Synergen are hard to find, so not many people try them. As our member base grows this will change though, and the fact that we're seeing VOAs on these oils suggests that someone purchased them and is going to try them out.

Yeah, the most common parts stores and places that sell oil seem to stock mostly Mobil, Castrol, Chevron, and some Valvoline. I've seen Red Line oil at only one place. Same with Kendall and Royal Purple. Big dog eats small dog and all that.
frown.gif

I try my best to mix up the topics here and reveal new oil formulations not generally spoke of or known about to include low cost oils such as Q-State PAO Blend and Mystik gasoline engine oil . These are but two of the very good alternatives to the low end , thin to a 20wt in 2k miles OTC dino's currently available and I'm not talking HDEO's either as an option to these .

The Synergyn line of oils are actually easier to get hold of than the German Castrol is , just pick-up the phone and it's at your door -free shipping . It will never get much play here because there is not a site supporter for the brand and probably never will be and thats a shame cause this oil is the real deal at great prices .

There are many alternatives to the almost redundent in frequency spoke of oils here . With an open mind , the resistance to being a follower instead of a leader , questioning of information instead of taking whats posted as absolute and continuing education of sorts here at BITOG will help to see the light for most members .

There are some very good offerings out there for those with open eyes and the knowledge to make an educated decision
smile.gif

[ February 17, 2004, 07:58 AM: Message edited by: Motorbike ]

They are discussed here, but it's a chicken and egg kinda thing. No one uses them much so they aren't discussed much...they aren't discussed much, so no one uses them....

I think the savvy BiTOG member does have a somewhat open mind....but we are talking motor oil here and it falls somewhere between religion and politics as far as strongly held beliefs. So the lesser known oils need to hit about 5 grand slams in a row to catch a break......
smile.gif

quote:

Originally posted by Pablo:
but we are talking motor oil here and it falls somewhere between religion and politics as far as strongly held beliefs.

Ain't that the truth !

I heard of a guy that went to purchase a used but very pristine Chevy Truck awhile back . He would not buy it after the original owner said he had used Pennzoil in it since new .

If the seller had only knew what the buyers favorite oil was ...........
wink.gif

I have seen most oils talked about on this board since its inception. One of the problems with most oils that are not available OTC are not used. When a person gets ready to change their oil, they go to their favorite store and purchase the necessary oil and go home and change it. But I have seen a few exciting OTC oils pop up very recently from Mobil, the 0W30R and the 5W40 SUV/Truck oil under the Mobil I label. I am watching the new 2-Cycle oil line up from Amsoil. Four different offerings from that. We are in the middle of the GC offering and it looks very nice in the 0W30. The board should be flooded with UOA's on this one shortly.

I have researched the HDD oils until I am dizzy with specs. I found the Royal Purple 15W40 and the 10W30 CI/SL API approved oils to be very interesting. I am going to use the Royal Purple 15W40 in my 95 PSD when the weather allows me to change it. Also their Max Lube 75W140 synthetic in the rear diff, and the Royal Purple Synthetic Mercon/Dexron III trans fluid. It will be RRR-PPP from front to rear. But I can't discuss anything yet from personal use. I have a few friends that use the Royal Purple lubricants from front to rear, and tow heavy with excellent results. So this got my interest in Royal Purple oil. Also it is available at most NAPA stores, so OTC when needed.

http://www.royalpurple.com/pdfsi/rpmoips.pdf

cheers.gif

[ February 17, 2004, 10:40 AM: Message edited by: 59 Vetteman ]

I think that Motorbike, Patman and others have done an excellent job of opening our eyes to new oils. However, as Motorbike has pointed out Synergyn as well as other oils can be ordered over the phone. What is so hard about that? It is easier than driving to AutoZone. When my GC gets used up and if I do not get the results that I am looking for, I will definately give Synergyn and
Torco a try. They look too good to pass up.

quote:

Originally posted by SSDude:
I think that Motorbike, Patman and others have done an excellent job of opening our eyes to new oils.

Yep, I do agree that most discussion focuses on the top-rung synthetic oils, but I believe I've done a fair job of showing that you can go over to Wally World, and for $6/gallon, pick up a great oil.

Not too many people mention the HDEO oils (be it the $6/gallon HDEO's, or the awesome group IV/V HDEO oils), so I try to "represent" a little...

Moribundman,

I see you are in Northern Calif.... If you are looking for those oils and if by chance you are near Hayward in the East Bay Area... there is a speed shop that carries those oils.The place is Vic Hubbard Performance Auto Supply ( Formerly Vic Hubbbard Speed and Marine )... they have been in Hayward since 1949 or so....I've been buying from them since the early 70's...

They carry:

Kendall ,
Penzoil,
Castrol,
Mobil One,
Delo ( 15W-40 only )
Valvoline,
Royal Rurple,
Red Line ,
Synergen....they just got a small display of Synergen.
But the most of the others they have ATF , P/S and gear lubes also.

They have Fram , Wix, K&N and Moroso air and oil filters also.

Their number is (510) 786-3550 if you need it.I dont want this to sound like an add ... I dont work there ..just a customer...but some of these are as you said hard to find.

Hey Calvin, thanks for the heads-up! I'm actually in SF, but what's a trip across the San Mateo bridge? I know that Kohlweiss (in Burlingame?) carries RL, RP, and Kendall. And I know one repair place in South San Francisco that sells RL.
smile.gif

I used to live in the bay area,Vic Hubbards is great,I used to buy my boat parts from them. M and H cycles in Daly City carries Redline products and Gotellies in South San Francisco carries Redline also . Maybe this can save you a trip across the bridge

quote:

It seems that most of the discussion on the board seems to focus on Redline, Amsoil, Mobile products and GC. I don't know why more board members do not discuss or use some the other great oils such are Synergyn, and Torco.

One of the reason is that these oils have site sponsors. I believe that we should support our site sponsors products so we can continue our oil discussions.

However, there are no rules that I am aware that prevents anyone to open any discussion about any oil they choose.

quote:

Originally posted by 59 Vetteman:
I have seen most oils talked about on this board since its inception. One of the problems with most oils that are not available OTC are not used. When a person gets ready to change their oil, they go to their favorite store and purchase the necessary oil and go home and change it. But I have seen a few exciting OTC oils pop up very recently from Mobil, the 0W30R and the 5W40 SUV/Truck oil under the Mobil I label. I am watching the new 2-Cycle oil line up from Amsoil. Four different offerings from that. We are in the middle of the GC offering and it looks very nice in the 0W30. The board should be flooded with UOA's on this one shortly.

I have researched the HDD oils until I am dizzy with specs. I found the Royal Purple 15W40 and the 10W30 CI/SL API approved oils to be very interesting. I am going to use the Royal Purple 15W40 in my 95 PSD when the weather allows me to change it. Also their Max Lube 75W140 synthetic in the rear diff, and the Royal Purple Synthetic Mercon/Dexron III trans fluid. It will be RRR-PPP from front to rear. But I can't discuss anything yet from personal use. I have a few friends that use the Royal Purple lubricants from front to rear, and tow heavy with excellent results. So this got my interest in Royal Purple oil. Also it is available at most NAPA stores, so OTC when needed.

http://www.royalpurple.com/pdfsi/rpmoips.pdf

cheers.gif

I for one am looking forward to your RP reviews as I'm intrigued by this oil myself.

Moribundman,

I'll second Steve on Gotelli Speed Shop...They have been there for like 40 years.... Good people ....I dont know what they carry in stock but they should be able to get most any of the good oils.

321 El Camino Real
South SF
(650)- 589-8618

The thing that surprises me about this web site is that some very common motor oils have been pretty much ignored. How many Quaker State VOAs and UOAs have you seen? Quaker State is the number two selling oil in the USA, I believe!

Because of cost and availability it is easy to see why some oils are not discussed too much here. Redline, Torco, etc., are expensive and hard to find locally at least where I live. You would have to order them.

When I came to this web site I do not believe I had even heard of Schaeffer's Oil. There are some other motor oils that have been mentioned here that I have never heard of before.

Schaeffers seems to have dropped off the radar screen lately. S7000 was almost mentioned daily but not now. More UOA's on Torco, Motul, Fuchs, Royal Purple, Lubrication Engineers etc would be great.

quote:

Originally posted by Motorbike:
Thats an interesting and note from Royal Purple in the bottom right corner of the PDF file Vetteman posted........ did anyone see it ?

Yep,Same thing we say about Redline.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back