Limburger Cheese!

Status
Not open for further replies.
When I went to visit Grandpa & Grandma as a kid, maybe once a day or two Grandpa would pull something wrapped in paper, it looked like it was wrapped twice, from the frig and take a small bite to eat, within those few seconds the whole house smelled terrible!
grin.gif
freak2.gif

Grandma would shout, get that back in the frigerator!

Has anyone eaten this?
I have never have, have come close to buying it though.

My mom told me she heard Limburger Cheese is suppose to taste wonderful but she couldn't get it past her nose.

I have heard that the Germans came up with Limburger Cheese, they dug a hole, lined the hole with some Cow's dung, put milk in the hole (on the dung), the bacteria in the dung help create the cheese called Limburger.

Is this true how they make Limburger Cheese?

I think if the Germans created Limburger Cheese, they must have been Really Hungry or Terrible Bored to come up with such as idea...

When I get Limburger, I put it in an ice chest and keep it outside on the picnic table. The taste and composition is very similar to the Brie that we used to get at the French Cheese factory in Santa Rosa, CA out in the country. (early 70's)

smile.gif

one of the few things that tastes way better than it smells. My father used to keep his limburger outside on the window ledge of his quarters in a castle when he was stationed in Belgium.

I love Limburger. Unfortunately the one I find locally is rather acrid in taste. Limburger cheese sandwiches give you room (not breating room, really!) on crowded buses, trains, and in movie theaters, as people will do anything to et away from this horrible smell. Yes, it's cruel but effective!

mori,

Which Limburger do you buy, in a jar or a block of cheese?

Reason I ask is that when I used to live in Alabama, I was traveling to Michigan for a visit, friend asked me to bring back some Limburger that was cut in a block wrapped in foil, they could only find the 'jar type' of Limburger in Alabama and did not care for it, the foil wrapped block was better quality.

Bill

I've never in my life bought cheese in a jar.
freak2.gif
I forgot the brand.

I'll have to see if the Point Reyes Cowgirl Creamery makes a Limburger. Mmm, country girls with cheese!
128.gif

I googled on limburger after posting this AM. Limburger originated in Belgium, and there is only 1 US maker, some place in WI

Limburger is originally from the belgian town Limburg. This stinky cheese is a more modern verseion of the older herve -- which supposedly is even stinkier. Alas, I never got chance to try it!

Don't try to eat Limburger cheese in Houston, TX on a Sunday. A blue law forbids this declicious habit.

Ever see that Warner Brothers cartoon where Sylvester the cat runs into a locker full of Limburger cheese? Hilarious!

Never had the stuff but have longed to try it. I LOVE CHEESE!!!!!!

Cheese Monger in Leavenworth, Pablo? Shucks, wish I'd had known about six months ago when I vacationed there!

Never tried blue cheese on a hamburger either but it does sound really good.

I often use blue cheese when I bake a pizza. I'm especially fond of Danish blue cheese and Cambozola, but I also like the sharp ones like Roquefort! Blue cheese is also good on toasted dark full grain bread. Now I'm drooling like a teething baby.

I found some Limburger cheese at a Meijer store,
cheese is very creamy, could be spread with a knife but make sure your wife aint there or that she likes stinky cheese to
grin.gif

She held her robe over her nose while I ate the Limburger, goes well with beer,
she wouldn't kiss me good night until I brushed my teeth and gargled with Listerine and then she was still afraid to kiss me...
shocked.gif

Limburger does have a bite to it when tasting, you have to get past the smell to taste it.

Limburger = no good, makes me gag
Saint Agur, Roquefort = still strong, but very good

Blue cheese on a burger = delicious, especially w/sauteed onions and mushrooms. Time to go make me one of those...

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back