Like pasta with your pesto?

Status
Not open for further replies.

JHZR2

Staff member
We decided to make pesto tonight. I love the flavor but never get enough when I order it. This one was a bit too cheesy, I really love a strong basil flavor best.

I coat really heavy. I love the stuff. Threw some castelmetrano olives in too, another favorite.

This was me cleaning up the remainder...

CAE47729-0FA1-46C3-B4BE-492FEEE6EB59_zps6pgwxhzq.jpg

Any good recipes for pesto?

You should have used wheel shaped pasta; this is still BITOG right?

Are those giraffes or turtles? Can't tell; they're drowning in pesto; pun intended.

I like pesto too; with grated pecorino Romano on top.

It was my poor man's food in college. We would grow basil and make massive amount of pesto and freeze it between my roomate and I. Easy tasty dinner but brings me back to college and being so poor.

That looks tasty!

You can tweak your pesto recipe to your taste but the wee trick I learned was to put it in ice cube trays and freeze it.
You transfer them to plastic bags and the portions are pre made up. I love that. Kira

Originally Posted By: SLATRON
Probably tastes good but looks like something a cow/horse coughed up
smile.gif

crackmeup2.gif
yum yum

Originally Posted By: GSCJR
You should have used wheel shaped pasta; this is still BITOG right?

Are those giraffes or turtles? Can't tell; they're drowning in pesto; pun intended.

I like pesto too; with grated pecorino Romano on top.

They were Easter bunnies and Easter eggs and that sort of thing. Two-year-old you know...

Pine nuts though I have heard walnuts can be substituted.

I think our peccorino was too sharp/salty.

It may tasted good but you're not a good photographer. I think Hotwheel had many pictures of various dishes and all of them look very good.

Originally Posted By: benjamming
Do you make it with pine nuts or a different nut?

I have made mine with peanuts, cashews, walnuts, and also mixes of the above along w/pine nuts.

Walnuts add a bitter taste imo. The peanuts and cashews are neutral tasting. They don't have quite the same taste as pine nuts, but are 1/10th the price. I usually make it with cashews when it's just for myself and not guests.

I also made it sometimes with a bit of spinach substituted for some of the basil to boost the nutritional value. Works well. Too much spinach pushes it to the bitter side, too, but you can experiment.

If someone eats non-dairy, you can use nutritional yeast instead of the cheese and it tastes pretty darn good, too.

I usually use pine nuts as well. Tried Brazil nuts one time on a whim. That was a trip, found out I was allergic
48.gif

That being said it still tasted fine

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back