Lightweight browser for android?

I want to use a dedicated browser to read ebooks (mainly pdfs), at Open Library but elsewhere too if need be. I don't want to pile on tabs with Edge which is the browser I normally use on Android. I don't need anything other than a browser that can remember a login, and display 200-500 page PDFs of books borrowed from open library. Support for tabs & favorites is about it for features. There is a dedicated app for Open Library but I have found it to be very buggy. I do have enough space to install a normal, full featured browser if I have to, but I'd like to keep things as minimalist as possible for this simple use.

Any suggestions? I was thinking of something like Falkon, but it isn't available on droids.

I do have adobe for PDFs, but I find its easier to scroll through the books when using a browser. For some reason when I've tried downloading books to "borrow" it has been very difficult to scroll through.

I'll look and see if Kindle will view what I have been able to download.

OK, even when clicking on a PDF link at open library, what I get to download is an ASCM file. Adobe PDF won't open it. Adobe Digital Editions will, but that is the program I was referring to before--it won't let me scroll through. Kindle app doesn't even see the file.

Well I forgot about the silk browser, I had the icon tucked away in a folder. So far it is working very smoothly, search function in the book is better than with Edge canary.

EDIT: Just checked--it is using only 26-30 megs of RAM (I have 2 gigs). So its hard to imagine a browser with a lighter footprint actually making any difference.

Last edited:
Back