Light viscosity break-in oil

What is the reasoning behind using lighter viscosity oils for breaking in a new or rebuilt engine? I will be putting the fire into a rebuilt Pontiac 455 and was wondering what viscosity of oil (and brand) to use for break-in and when to switch to a higher viscosity if you are suggesting starting low. Any opinions are appreciated.

I have built a few SBC's. I have always used a conventional 10w30 for break-in. I don't know why someone would use a lighter oil at break-in.......Perhaps so it will flow faster at initial startup. I always just use alot of assembly lube on the cam and lifters and prime the oil pump just before startup. I then switch to a synthetic at about 3000 miles (I change the oil several times in the first 3000 miles with conventional oil though). I have never built a poncho, but I don't know why it would be any different. [ July 10, 2003, 07:38 PM: Message edited by: sbc350gearhead ]

evilpeanut

Thanks Gearhead. I would think that if you prime your oil pump before starting it and get oil through the entire system, you should be OK with 10W-30 or 15W-40. I am not really sure though. I have seen posts where people are using 5W-30 for initial startup and the next oil change. Any other thoughts people?

Al

The reason used to be that the added friction and more metal to metal contact help the rin/cylinder seal by ahoning type process. That was my understanding. When rebuilding an engine that stimm may be somewhat necessary-But I really don't have the practical experience to know. Hoefully another engine guilder to two will surface. [Smile]