Liftmaster 8500W (Jackshaft Style Garage Door Opener)

Status
Not open for further replies.
I am interested in replacing my current garage door opener with a jackshaft style unit. The main motive is that this style of garage door opener will free up about 1' of ceiling space.

https://www.liftmaster.com/liftmaster-8500w-wall-mount-opener/p/8500W

Does anyone have long-term experience with this type of unit or this particular brand/model? One of my friends has an 8500 at his shop and swears by it, but did mention that he experienced a control panel failure (which there is now a warranty extension for).

Thanks!

Last edited:
Liftmaster seems to be a more mainstream brand, probably fine.

Last edited:
these styles have been used in warehouses for years . had a setup like this in my old warehouse. worked perfect for years. if you have the space i would go for it

I just had the Chamberlain RJ020, made by Liftmaster, equivalent installed 3 weeks ago. The only difference between the two is battery backup on the Liftmaster 8500 which I had no need for. It's quiet as a mouse and unobtrusive, mounted high on the wall beside the door. The soft open and close feature is quiet as well. It also has the dead bolt lock that automatically locks on closing and unlocks on opening, a worthwhile security feature. I haven't hooked up the myQ internet feature yet but will soon. I also bought the optional outside key pad and it works great. I replaced a Wayne Dalton idrive so I had to have a new torsion bar with new cable hubs, cables, torsion spring, brackets etc installed. The Chamberlain is $24 cheaper on Amazon than what I paid less than a month ago. No long term experience but both openers got the best reviews than any I researched.

Last edited:
Finally had an opportunity to install the new garage door opener (with some assistance). I went with the Chamberlain RJO70. The new opener seems to operate as quietly as a belt-driven opener and the design freed up a significant amount of ceiling space. The extra ceiling space will come in handy for lifting a van/suv with the quickjacks.

7577EAA3-9744-4141-9BAA-B85FA553A9D9.jpeg

96FBE99C-9291-4850-9810-40C743504FE6.jpeg

I currently have 3 of the Liftmasters and love them. They are quiet and have been trouble free for the 2 years they've been in service. The lock is the only thing that makes much noise but it is just a quick "clang" when it actuates. I'll be replacing 2 other openers when the time comes with the same thing and getting rid of the noisy builder grade chain drives.

Did you have to run new electric over to the opener location? I see some conduit in one pic but didn't know how you were powering it.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.
Back