Lifters bleeding down after a few days, will thicker oil help?

Status
Not open for further replies.
I use motul xcess 5w40 in my 02 bmw 530i. It has 165k miles. After not starting the car for more than 2-4 days, the following startup would be rough and sometimes cause misfire codes. I've done all the diag to get to the point of saying the lifters are bad. Would using thicker oil such as rottella t6 15w40 help me? I do notice a lifter taping sound after each cold start that lasts about 3-5 seconds then goes away. Any advice would be appreciated, thanks.

Thinner for tappet noise. I have had this problem and 100 miles before an oil change I add kerosene, maximum 16 ounces, to the crankcase. Run the car for 100 miles and do the oil change. This sometimes removes dirt/sludge from the lifter.

Does this vehicle use a spin-on or a cartridge type oil filter? Might be that the anti-drain back valve is leaking.

Originally Posted by kschachn
Does the BMW HVA bleeding procedure apply to your engine? It fixed the tapping in my M60.

I've done the bleeding procedure and it did not help. I also added liqui moly lifter additive and it also hasn't helped.

Originally Posted by ZeeOSix
Does this vehicle use a spin-on or a cartridge type oil filter? Might be that the anti-drain back valve is leaking.

It's a cart type filter.

Originally Posted by kossimak
Originally Posted by ZeeOSix

It's a cart type filter.

There may be some kind of anti-drain back check valve in the filter housing. I'd recommend looking into that more and make sure all is normal.

Originally Posted by irad
Thinner for tappet noise. I have had this problem and 100 miles before an oil change I add kerosene, maximum 16 ounces, to the crankcase. Run the car for 100 miles and do the oil change. This sometimes removes dirt/sludge from the lifter.

Good way to wipe out your bearings.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back