Lifter noise from an '02 Jeep 4.0

Status
Not open for further replies.
It has done it since i purchased it used...just recently did an oil change and i noticed it was a little more dramatic. usually goes away after the engine warms up. I would assume lifter a noise like that would be teh result of an oil starved engine or the oil not reaching the upper half of the motor soon enough. I've been running Mobile 1 5w-30 in it and change the oil regularly. IS there a different oil i should be using? or some sort of additive?

My old TJ with the 4.0 had loud lifter noise aswell. I think the engines just make more noise than others.

The 4.0 is one of the best engines ever built. Take car of it and it will out last that jeep bolted to it by more than double!

Chris wants you to feel the thing that looks like the distributor ..but isn't a distributor anymore.

welcome2.gif

What are you digging for, Chris? I've heard of distributor gears getting chewed due to cam walking issues ..but that's a rare one.

Welcome to BITOG.
Use Mobil 1 (tdt) 5-40. Its superior cleaning agents helped clean up the incessant valve tick.

Jeep Wave!
-A

Piston slap is VERY frequent in these engines. Mine did not have the piston slap, but the CPS ticked very loud. I always ran 5w30 year round.

Either way, these engines are built like tanks and you can't kill 'em easy, so I wouldn't worry about it. Use a quality oil/filter and keep on drivin'
thumbsup2.gif

welcome2.gif
to another Jeep guy!

+1 on trying a different filter
+1 on the fact that 4.0s just make some noise but are indestructible.

+1 on trying a 5w40 HDEO like M1 TDT. I personally use Rotella T Synthetic 5w40 in my 4.0, but TDT is also excellent oil. I doubt that you'll really lower any wear, but 4.0s do seem to be just a little quieter on 5w40. The price you pay is a little lower mileage, but a 4.0 in a jeep isn't a mileage champion anyway.

thanks for the responses guys! And I'm not positive what filter was on there originally but I've been using a K&N one...easier to get off with that nut welded on it. And by Mobile 1 TDT i'll assume you're refering to the turbo diesel truck oil? if thats what it is i would never have guess to put that in a gasoline engine

I've heard the 4.0s are noisy but I just wanted to make sure nothing was gunna quit on me down the road. But I also know they are bulit proof engines!

Last edited:
Originally Posted By: Gary Allan
Chris wants you to feel the thing that looks like the distributor ..but isn't a distributor anymore.

welcome2.gif

What are you digging for, Chris? I've heard of distributor gears getting chewed due to cam walking issues ..but that's a rare one.
My 02 has been making a clicking noise from the Cam sensor since new. I don't know what is causing it and it doesn't seem to hurt it.

It gets really loud on Chevron 10w-40 though.

Unplug it and pull the thing
55.gif
Let us know what you find out. It should be the same deal as a distributor. I don't even think you need to reindex it with the crank. It only triggers the fuel injectors. The crank sensor does the spark.

Chris142 is right on with the Chevron 10w-40 making the 4.0 engine noisy. I'm 100 miles into my 2nd run of the Chev 10w-40, I don't know how much longer I can leave it in! It just makes the engine "chattery" sounding, like it is really loose.

In a few weeks I'm switching to Rotella 5w-40 or Mobil TDT. I just feel bad dumping such virgin oil...

I also heard MMO helps a bit with the "tick". Just FYI, my Jeep Cherokee has 160K on it and still runs great, very stout engines.

Last edited:
My 1995 clicked at 100 miles and 196,000 miles when I sold it to my son-in-law. It was still clicking at ~ 240,000 miles when it was totaled in an acident.

It shouldn't be ..well, let's say that I HAVE heard the evap:purge solenoid on something like a 3.3 minivan and it will sound like a mini-pair of bongos...but I've never heard that sound out of either my 99 or 02. Pretty much all the jeeps have the same hardware. They may orient it differently as to how they hang it in the engine bay (varying from 97-02 and even Cherokee's and Wranglers -w/the in line's )

Yeah, I'm pretty sure you have to time the cam position sensor (the big distributor looking thing). I had an 05 that I took to the dealer for the oil pump drive gear recall. All they did was pull the position sensor and check the gear to make sure it wasn't the one affected by the recall. Thing ran great when I dropped it off. After that, it pinged pretty bad no matter what brand or grade of gas I ran in it. Maybe that wasn't what caused it, but I figure if it ran fine before it went in there, and pinged afterwards, they didnt' time it right. And it wouldn't surprise me if they did...I kept taking it in, trying to get them to fix the piston slap problem I had, and I kept getting various excuses from them. Finally, after having it for 3 weeks one time, the told me they replaced the t-case, and that fixed the noise! Last time I checked, if your car makes noise while sitting still and idling, chances are its not something in the driveline causing it! Needless to say, i take my new jeep to a different dealer for warranty work.

Originally Posted By: jeeptj
It has done it since i purchased it used...just recently did an oil change and i noticed it was a little more dramatic. usually goes away after the engine warms up. I would assume lifter a noise like that would be teh result of an oil starved engine or the oil not reaching the upper half of the motor soon enough. I've been running Mobile 1 5w-30 in it and change the oil regularly. IS there a different oil i should be using? or some sort of additive?

I starting using 40W in my wifes 97 Jetta. Sounds much better. If you still want to use a 30W find something on the thicker side like GC.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back