lifetime wear-out pad warrantees

Status
Not open for further replies.
Looks like the NAPA free replacement for wear-out on brake pads gravy train is over. I've only bought the first set of pads for my (new) '93; all subsequent sets were free, based on the pad wear-out warranty. The guy at the NAPA store denied my claim this time, so I went to another one down the road. He was very congenial, so I asked him about the warranty, and he said with a wink and a nod, "Oh, just claim that they squeal or something." So I did, and I got my pads, but they keep a record of all claims, so in my book, this is it.

Are there any brands of pads which offer lifetime warranty against wearing out?

By all rights,you get one free set.Not pads forever.You buy one pad,you get one replacement.Not pads forever.That settles their obligation.If the free set wears out,you didn't buy them so you get no coverage.By getting free ones constantly they are being nice guys.

Depends on the wording of the warranty. JC Penny apparently warrantied their batteries and the replacement battery etc ad nauseum.

Originally Posted By: wymi516
Why did they deny your claim if the pads were worn out?

The guy at the first NAPA was a "Richard" (nick name for
whistle.gif
) and barked out that they don't warranty for worn out pads, which was news to me.

Originally Posted By: 2James1
Autozone pads

I've gotten several sets from them. They don't even say or ask anything. Whenever I replace rotors, I just throw on a new set of pads so that the old pads are only half worn or less. They do sell them as lifetime warranty so it's still the same car.

In my area, the lifetime warranty on brake pads/shoes are against manufacture defects not wearout. AutoZone may infact warranty their pads/shoes for lifetime against wearout, IDK!

There was a time in the 80's & 90's where, National Auto/Whittlock, Parts America/Sears was giving me new pads/shoes under their lifetime warranty against anything and I only purchaced my brakes ONCE and kept my cars 18 years...He, he, he!

Same with the mufflers from Cole Muffler. Even the labor to install the new muffler was at no cost. Now, they charge ~ 1/2 to 1 hour labor for installation even if the part is lifetime warranty.

I was keeping even the POS cars for a long time because of these warranties. Pay once for a part, keep the car friggen forever! LOL!
laugh.gif

I have never had a problem at autozone getting pads warranteed for wear out! I have had the manager study them once or twice but always gave me new ones. The newest most inexperienced counter jockeys seem to be the best to get them warranteed. They say yes right away.

My 1985 Ford Mustang GT had 2 sets of replacement disc pads from AutoZone after wearing out the first replacement pads.
:>)
I was never refused, but was cheerfully handed over a fresh replacement set. I quite frankly got tired of their ho-hum quality and switched to Hawk Carbotic pads. Nowwwwww we're talking serious brake pads!

Lifetime replacement anything (whether alternator, brake pads or whatever) is little more than a wager. They seller is betting you'll dump your ride or lose your receipt before you need a fresh, free replacement item.
It doesn't really mean you are getting a superior part. It's little more than a wager.

Autozone. Never had an issue. One time I had an Autozone tech tell me that if the wear was excessively uneven,they wouldn't warrant the pads. But other than that, never a word.

My son used to work for Autozone. He tells me that, when it comes to returns, Autozone has a very strict "the customer is always right" policy. I'm sure brake pads are included.

Just did the pads, rotors and e-brakes on the rear end of my Silverado this weekend.

Factory pads lasted 125k and I got 160k out of the rotors.

I bought the C-Max pads from Autozone (59.99) about 5yrs ago. Took them into the store hoping to get a pro-rated set of new pads because of the lifetime warranty (still had over half the pad left).

Counter guy looks up my purchasing record, gets a new box of pads, does the exchange and says come back in 5yrs and we will do it again.

Too bad Autozone is only good for batteries, brake pads and rotors for me.

I don't know about AutoZone warranty and being from Canada I don't care, as it would be too much hassle anyway. But, last year I bought C-Max pads for my Focus and these pads are fantastic so far. The brake feel is very OEM like and there is almost no visible dust.
I plan on getting them for my Mazda 3 as well, when the time comes.

Originally Posted By: Triple_Wild_Bill
My 1985 Ford Mustang GT had 2 sets of replacement disc pads from AutoZone after wearing out the first replacement pads.
:>)
I was never refused, but was cheerfully handed over a fresh replacement set. I quite frankly got tired of their ho-hum quality and switched to Hawk Carbotic pads. Nowwwwww we're talking serious brake pads!

Lifetime replacement anything (whether alternator, brake pads or whatever) is little more than a wager. They seller is betting you'll dump your ride or lose your receipt before you need a fresh, free replacement item.
It doesn't really mean you are getting a superior part. It's little more than a wager.

Workmate of mine bought a lifetime starter from Autozone. About a year later, I gave him a ride to go buy a starter from NAPA. I asked him what happened to the Autozone starter.......He corrected me, starterSSS. Seems he was wearing out his wrenches, swapping out the starters every couple of months.

I believe NAPA used to carry a premium pad that was 'guaranteed for life'. My dad used these with most our cars when I was younger (there were no Autozones where I grew up). They were pretty comparable to OEM quality and durability.

However, if these 'lifetime warranty' pads are anything like the brakes that JustBrakes installs, they are probably made of some of the cheapest materials so they budget frequent replacements.
For those who don't know, JustBrakes advertises brake pads for $99 with a lifetime warranty. If you also require any repairs, you'll need to get them done or you'll fall out of the warranty terms for the free replacement.

Originally Posted By: eljefino
Depends on the wording of the warranty. JC Penny apparently warrantied their batteries and the replacement battery etc ad nauseum.

I once worked at a Firestone store that used to be a JCPenny repair shop ages ago. Some people took advantage of that sale by using the battery in a classic car that the owner would never sell. After JCPenny auto repair closed there, when someone came in for a warranty battery replacement, we had to fill out some reimbursement form to get paid.

As for Autozone brake pads, I love them. They don't cost too much, and they last. I once worked on a special Acura RSX with factory Brembo brakes. Only the dealership and Autozone had pads:
Dealer pads: $200
Autozone pads: $25

The Napa Premiums were the only ones that would last on our highway patrol cars which were very hard on pads and rotors.

I'm a store manager for Advance, and I'll tell you what - all of our pads are 'Lifetime Warranty'. It's SUPPOSED to be against manufacturer defects - wtfever those are, since there's nearly NO WAY for a counter rep to tell if they're defective. Technically we aren't supposed to just replace them under warranty for simply worn out pads, but truthfully there's no way for us to know if they're 'defective', and if a customer got upset and left your store because you denied them warranty, and called corporate - you'd better believe you'll be getting a call from both your DL, as well as Sales Support. And you'll absolutely be told to call that customer, apologize, and offer to have their new pads there waiting for them when they want to come pick them up. It's utterly ridiculous, IMO, that they've fostered this mentality, but the problem is - if we don't do it, the guys across the street will. THAT is what these big companies are doing to themselves.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back