Lifespan on OEM Nissan Xterra battery

Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, does anyone know how long the factory battery is rated to last on a 2001 v-6 Xterra? I am looking into replacing the battery in wife's Xterra and don't know if it is on borrowed time or not.
dunno.gif
Whats a good battery? Is Autozone's line of Duralast any good? Thanks in advance.

It depends on her useage. If she's got few starts per mile ..it can last a very long time. My wife still has her OEM battery in her 99 jeep TJ. It's going on 6 years (May of 99) ..but it's 107,000 miles. Now if she used it as an around town soccer mom ...I doubt that it would go that far. Now I have to add that she's only had one or two deep cycle events (where she left the lights on - the chime is disable with the dome light/door actuator)
dunno.gif

I buy Interstate or Deka batteries. Unless you've got some special need(s) ..I'd skip the Optima type stuff.

Extreme ambient temps take a bunch of life off batteries as well. Like Garry, ours usually last ~6yrs.

Joel

I've typically replaced my batteries every 4 to 5 years. So far in 20 years of car ownership i've never been left stranded by a dead battery.

I usually buy AutoZone Batteries, mostly because it's conventient and they have a decent warranty (that i've never had to use).

I like the walmart DT-3N. The one in my truck is probably 6 years old (older DT3 model.) $42, their "midgrade" line.

As others said heat is the real killer, not warm restarts.

Mine lasted 18 months in my 2000 xterra and spewed battery acid all over the engine compartment.

An OEM battery can give out in less than 1 year, or it could last 7+ years. It depends on a lot of factors: luck being one of them...I had a GM OEM battery give out completely in less than 1 year. Rather than dealing with the dealer, I took it to AA. They diagnosed the problem, and replaced it. No labor cost -- just the cost of new battery. My Viper alarm was sounding off during this whole episode.

The Panasonic battery in my 4Runner lasted 6 years. As others have mentioned, I've also had good luck with Interstate. I bought an Exide to replace the 4Runner battery though since my son works in a parts store that sells them.

My luck with the Autozone Duralast batteries has been dismal. The first lasted a year. The replacement lasted 13 months. Its replacement is still going 2 years later but it wouldn't surprise me if it died tomorrow...

Here's some good general info:

http://autos.msn.com/advice/CRArt.aspx?contentid=4023696

I don't replace a battery until the current one starts to give out. Then I replace it immediately. I generally get 5-6 years out of a battery. If you live in a cold climate, get a battery with about 150-200 more CCA's (cold cranking amps than the battery that came stock with the vehicle. More CCA's is good insurance for cold weather starts. Be sure to buy a battery with the same type of terminals as the stock battery and be sure that it will fit on the vehicle's battery holding plate and that the vehicle's bracket will fit on the battery you buy.

lifespans on batteries varies. IMHO, after five years you are on borrowed time.

92 mirage; bought in 98; new AZ battery in 10/98; died in 1/03; walmart everstart battery put in, it died yesterday! put new walmart everstart battery
3 yrs on the last everstart battery.

96 Pontiac sunfire; bought new; OEM lasted 4 whole years;
bought AZ duralast battery that is almost six years old this summer (I did recharge it with my battery charger last summer)

Oh, I have a new 06 vibe oem battery; but I thought if the battery dies within the 3 yr/36k warranty. the dealer will give you a brand new battery?

I just changed out my 2001 Civic's battery with a brand new Honda battery because the new ones have a 100-month warranty. Will it last that long? Not sure but it would be nice if it did.
The factory battery on that car was replaced under warranty after 8 months due to irregular rough starting. So it's a crap shoot I guess.
Does anyone know who makes Honda batteries?

The guys at Xterrafirma.com convinced me that anything past 3 years is generous for a Nissan factory truck battery.

They say they go suddenly with no warning.

My friend was driving a 2001 Xterra in a northern climate and the battery died on their way home from a long trip last September.

It went suddenly with no warning.

Reading all this, I got an Optima Red Top for my Nissan. Becasue my Nissan is a 2.5L Sentra, I was able to get a Red Top for about $110 delivered. It's got more power (CCAs) than stock and is also 8lbs lighter.

I figure I won't have to buy another battery for this car ... period.
smile.gif

--- Bror Jace

Is it a panasonic battery in the xterra? If so, itll be good for 10 years. The one in our 94 previa was, and it was perfect when we swapped it due to worry due to its age.

Weve never had a battery last less than 5 years.

We never run stuff off of them without the engine on... and (try to) never leave the lights on and drain it... Both of thee things IMO effect its life.

JMH

Batteries last a long time, except I think you can knock 6 months off the life-span of any given battery by allowing it to COMPLETELY discharge, even for a bit. Leave the inside light on for a couple of days, tail lights, whatever. The sulpher really builds on the plates when the battery is DEAD.Happens a lot on the new cars if you ever park em for a couple of weeks. Ma's Caddy will kill a battery in less than two weeks. Best to disco the cables for even more than a few days.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back