Lifespan of Tonneau Covers?

I purchased this tri-fold Tonneau Cover in the summer of 2020. It is a Bakflip MX4.

The cover has seen a lot of use. The truck has also been parked outside for the last year. Over the last several months, the “tabs” on the bed cover have become warped and this causes the cover to not close properly. You can wiggle the tabs to temporarily resolve the issue, but it is clear that this is a temporary solution.
E67EEBBC-C53E-4C43-AE3F-B37F9CCC7C2C.jpeg

7F835B3E-2A9B-4093-B602-C5900790461B.jpeg

Bakflip is replacing the entire cover under warranty, but I have a feeling that this issue will return in 1-2 years.

Is this a normal lifespan for these hard folding tonneau covers that see weekly usage?

I was the National Sales Manager for one of Bak's sister companies, Undercover. First off, good on Bakflip for standing behind the product, even though I knew they would. Second, yes, it happens, some cover models more than others, on different trucks more than others. The parent company Real Truck (it's a new corporate name, was Truck Hero) is very customer friendly though. If it happens again, I'd request another cover in the Bakflip family or another Real Truck brand.

I was the National Sales Manager for one of Bak's sister companies, Undercover. First off, good on Bakflip for standing behind the product, even though I knew they would. Second, yes, it happens, some cover models more than others, on different trucks more than others. The parent company Real Truck (it's a new corporate name, was Truck Hero) is very customer friendly though. If it happens again, I'd request another cover in the Bakflip family or another Real Truck brand.
I ordered a cover from Real Truck, they immediately took my money (obviously and is totally fine) but then I didn’t hear a word from them for week.

Sent them an email asking what’s going on and nothing for another week. Granted it was early April of 2020 but still, a message or something saying “hey we have no clue what’s going on with the world right now, your order may be delayed” would have been nice and I would have happily waited but no. It wasn’t till I contacted Apple support (paid with Apple Pay) and started a chargeback that they sent me an apology letter and finally shipped it. I’m still a bit upset over that.

I ordered a cover from Real Truck, they immediately took my money (obviously and is totally fine) but then I didn’t hear a word from them for week.

Sent them an email asking what’s going on and nothing for another week. Granted it was early April of 2020 but still, a message or something saying “hey we have no clue what’s going on with the world right now, your order may be delayed” would have been nice and I would have happily waited but no. It wasn’t till I contacted Apple support (paid with Apple Pay) and started a chargeback that they sent me an apology letter and finally shipped it. I’m still a bit upset over that.
I don't blame you at all. Working for an aftermarket manufacturer my whole career I'm real big on communicating clearly what you can expect.

When I have had to contact them for assistance on warranty issues for customers they have been extremely helpful. Sometimes it takes a little bit of time, and I tell my customers that ahead of time, but always have a resolution that is fair for all involved.

We used to be able to do it all through Ford's WMAC accessory distributor, but since they changed to a new company for this market we have to do everything on our own with no support from them whatsoever.

My MX4 has sat totally exposed to the Texas sun for six years, and other than fading, still works correctly. It leaks some, but I pretty well expected that. The latches work fine.

My MX4 has sat totally exposed to the Texas sun for six years, and other than fading, still works correctly. It leaks some, but I pretty well expected that. The latches work fine.
How often do you open it? Mine gets opened a few times a week and I'm starting to wonder if that is more often than the anticipated use.

That is great to hear the company is sending you a new one.

The tyger brand roll-up tonneau on my 2019 Ram 1500 classic was 2yrs old last month. It's held up well with no issues other than some of the foam weatherstripping squirming out from under the frame.

I don't roll it up often though. It could go months between needing to be rolled up.

It's had as much as 3ft+ of snow on it in the winter. So much weight I never thought it would spring back into shape.

My Bak Flip is six years old. Sits out in the sun. Gets used/moved perhaps weekly. Zero issues.

I have a Bak Flip and it's 5 years old and still looks new. The truck is parked in the garage. Get's folded up all the time so I can transport the bikes down to the bike path. No issues with the latches. I have found if the cover shifts then the latches do not work correctly. The cover needs to be "square".

How often do you open it? Mine gets opened a few times a week and I'm starting to wonder if that is more often than the anticipated use
Compared to yours, not that often. The first three years it was hardly ever opened. The last three years there's been a trip a month with several openings each.

Maybe they designed it for majority of pickup owners who drive around with load of air in the bed.

Just kidding! I hope you sort it out, have you asked the maker about the issues?

I purchased this tri-fold Tonneau Cover in the summer of 2020. It is a Bakflip MX4.

The cover has seen a lot of use. The truck has also been parked outside for the last year. Over the last several months, the “tabs” on the bed cover have become warped and this causes the cover to not close properly. You can wiggle the tabs to temporarily resolve the issue, but it is clear that this is a temporary solution.
View attachment 113989

View attachment 113991
Bakflip is replacing the entire cover under warranty, but I have a feeling that this issue will return in 1-2 years.

Is this a normal lifespan for these hard folding tonneau covers that see weekly usage?
We don't have your (hot) weather, but we have a solid roll-up cover, and, touch-wood, it has been perfect, despite getting used almost daily and removed many times for the ATV to fit in the bed. It also sits outside always, in sun, snow...etc.

Back